Warranty on Dell SPS 8500?

Old August 19th 13, 07:20 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

Default Warranty on Dell SPS 8500?

I brought a new Dell XPS 8500 last year and purchased a year's
warranty. The warranty is expiring and Dell is contacting me about
purchasing an extension? I have not used the warranty in my current
year and am wondering if it is worth it to get a new one. Anyone have
experience in this area and can provide input? It cost about $230 a
year.

Thanks
charliec
Old August 21st 13, 06:19 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Timothy Daniels[_4_]

wrote in message ...
On Mon, 19 Aug 2013 14:00:46 -0700 (PDT), Bob_Villa wrote:

On Monday, August 19, 2013 2:45:23 PM UTC-5, Pen wrote:
On 8/19/2013 2:20 PM, wrote:

I brought a new Dell XPS 8500 last year and purchased a year's

warranty. The warranty is expiring and Dell is contacting me about

purchasing an extension? I have not used the warranty in my current

year and am wondering if it is worth it to get a new one. Anyone have

experience in this area and can provide input? It cost about $230 a

year.

Thanks

charliec

I've never bought an extended warranty from Dell and my only

failure occurred in the first year. After that the only

problems I've

ever had have been two CDR drives which cost less than 20

bucks each

to replace. So I vote no. Remember Dell expects to make a

profit

by selling you a warranty. I've owned 12 Dells in all both

Laptops and Desktops.

I've had about 8 Dells and would have to agree...no issues (one lapper had a finicky touch pad-I
like a mouse better! 8^)

Thanks for the replies - I think I will hold off!

OTOH . . . I bought the extended warranty on my XPS M1330 laptop
and on my Precision T3500 workstation. The laptop had problems 3
times throughout the warranty period, including a bad motherboard
(due to overheating nVidia chip), and the warranty covered parts and
the on-site technician. On the desktop, the motherboard lost audio
(due to my clumsiness), and the warranty covered replacement of the
motherboard and the on-site technician. With both computers, the
warranty was cheaper than paying for the repair myself.

With that experience in mind, I advise friends to get the warranty
if you can afford to be without the computer for a week to 10 days.
If it's essential to your job or education, get the extended warranty.

*TimDaniels*

Old August 21st 13, 11:41 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
blobby

On 8/19/2013 2:20 PM, wrote:

[...]

I have had 4 Pc's over the years and all have had 2 motherboards replaced
and other bits (1 graphics driver, 2 fans, 1 sound card) to me it was
worth the extra costs, within 2 days all were fixed on site.

Blobby Bob

Posted with NewsLeecher v6.0 Beta 2
Web @
http://www.newsleecher.com/?usenet
------------------- ----- ---- -- -

Old August 21st 13, 05:59 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Timothy Daniels[_4_]

"Timothy Daniels" wrote:
[ . . . ] I advise friends to get the warranty
if you can afford to be without the computer for a week to 10 days.
If it's essential to your job or education, get the extended warranty.

*TimDaniels*

Correction:
I advise friends to get the warranty
if you CANNOT afford to be without the computer for a week to 10 days.

The warranty saved me mucho time and money and angst several times
with 2 computers. Extended warranties are like health insurance - you
usually don't need them, but when you need them, you can REALLY
need them.

*TimDaniels*

Old August 21st 13, 07:17 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

On Wed, 21 Aug 2013 09:59:16 -0700, "Timothy Daniels" wrote:

"Timothy Daniels" wrote:
[ . . . ] I advise friends to get the warranty
if you can afford to be without the computer for a week to 10 days.
If it's essential to your job or education, get the extended warranty.

*TimDaniels*

Correction:
I advise friends to get the warranty
if you CANNOT afford to be without the computer for a week to 10 days.

The warranty saved me mucho time and money and angst several times
with 2 computers. Extended warranties are like health insurance - you
usually don't need them, but when you need them, you can REALLY
need them.

*TimDaniels*

Thanks for the tips.
charliec
Old August 22nd 13, 03:39 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Larry[_12_]

On 8/19/2013 2:20 PM, wrote:

[...]

For sure an extended warranty for a laptop. I too have an XPS m1530 and ended up replacing the motherboard, screen, and keyboard just after the 3rd year of ownership and all replaced under the 4 year warranty I paid for.

In my opinion, new laptops simply pack too much heat generating power in a small space that even the best designed cooling system does not seem to suffice.

I have never had a problem with dell desktops. I also have an XPS 8500 and I did not choose to extend the warranty. In a desktop, I can replace most of the parts myself if need be.

I have my own insurance against not having a computer up and running when I need it. I keep two backup computers on hand and updated in addition to the one I use daily.

Living in a rural area, I am lucky if I can get repair service within a week especially during bad weather even though I am paying for two day service.

Larry

Dell PC and warranty AndyColeman UK Computer Vendors 3 March 2nd 07 11:20 PM
Can I take my dell to a Dell Kiosk for warranty repair? OregonMike Dell Computers 15 February 7th 07 06:09 AM
Dell Warranty Lez Pawl Dell Computers 3 January 8th 07 05:43 PM
First Dell Warranty Experience Nicholas Andrade Dell Computers 4 October 5th 05 06:36 PM
Dell Warranty Chris UK Computer Vendors 7 December 17th 04 10:53 PM