Processing speed question!

Old October 4th 06, 06:48 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Annie

Default Processing speed question!

The new dual cores are 2.0 GHZ, while the single core is 2.8 GHZ. Do they
run at comparable speeds or is the Dual core 2.0 just as fast or faster? I
know there is a lot of debate whether one would benefit from a dual core in
the first place. My main objective is for gaming.

Thanks for your input!

Old October 4th 06, 10:52 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

The Core 2 Duo at 2.0 is significantly faster than the single core 2.8 (or
even dual core 2.8).

For example, using this chart, the 2.13 Core 2 Duo (the 2.0 isn't in the
chart) gets a score of 5489.
The single core 2.8 scores 3522.
The dual core 2.8 scores only 4661 or 4705 depending on which dual core.

The fastest is the Core 2 Duo EX6800 at 7547 while the fastest AMD is 5755.
There are six Intel's faster than the AMD.

http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.ht...=433&chart=171

Tom

Old October 4th 06, 12:37 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis

"Annie" wrote in message
The new dual cores are 2.0 GHZ, while the single core is 2.8 GHZ. Do they
run at comparable speeds or is the Dual core 2.0 just as fast or faster?
I know there is a lot of debate whether one would benefit from a dual core
in the first place. My main objective is for gaming.

Thanks for your input!

My general understanding this that for multi=tasks the dual cores tend to
shine, but that in gaming they are actually inferior.

I would launch a google search on dual core with the name(s) of the games
you intend to run. Read the forums and see what people who're actually
gaming with them are saying.

My information is anecdotal but came from a friend who games extensively
with a home-built AMD64 single core. He wanted to "upgrade", but did not
after quite a bit of reading on the subject.

Stew

Old October 4th 06, 01:29 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

"S.Lewis" wrote in message
. ..

"Annie" wrote in message
The new dual cores are 2.0 GHZ, while the single core is 2.8 GHZ. Do
they run at comparable speeds or is the Dual core 2.0 just as fast or
faster? I know there is a lot of debate whether one would benefit from a
dual core in the first place. My main objective is for gaming.

Thanks for your input!

My general understanding this that for multi=tasks the dual cores tend to
shine, but that in gaming they are actually inferior.

I would launch a google search on dual core with the name(s) of the games
you intend to run. Read the forums and see what people who're actually
gaming with them are saying.

My information is anecdotal but came from a friend who games extensively
with a home-built AMD64 single core. He wanted to "upgrade", but did not
after quite a bit of reading on the subject.

Stew

I would believe that of the early dual cores, but the top of the line Core 2
Duo?

Old October 4th 06, 06:53 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Colin Wilson

I would believe that of the early dual cores, but the top of the line Core 2
Duo?

Wouldn't it depend on the code being executed i.e. if a game has been
written to take advantage of dual cores ? - most are not AFAIK, which
means you would be running at a single core speed of, in this instance,
2Ghz
Old October 4th 06, 07:40 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message
t...
I would believe that of the early dual cores, but the top of the line
Core 2
Duo?

Wouldn't it depend on the code being executed i.e. if a game has been
written to take advantage of dual cores ? - most are not AFAIK, which
means you would be running at a single core speed of, in this instance,
2Ghz

I agree, but the game isn't the only running. Your AV, XP itself, etc.,
etc.

On the new Core 2 Duo, even one of the processors is blindingly fast.

Tom

Old October 4th 06, 10:18 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis

"Tom Scales" wrote in message
. ..

"S.Lewis" wrote in message
. ..

"Annie" wrote in message
[...]

Don't know about the Core2's. His comment was about the dual core AMD and
Core Duo Intel chips.

Stew

Old October 5th 06, 03:39 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
User N

"Annie" wrote in message ...
The new dual cores are 2.0 GHZ, while the single core is 2.8 GHZ. []

Others have provided you with some info, but just so there is no confusion,
specifically which processors are you referring to and considering?

Old October 5th 06, 07:08 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Annie

"User N" wrote in message

"Annie" wrote in message

The new dual cores are 2.0 GHZ, while the single core is 2.8 GHZ.

Others have provided you with some info, but just so there is no
confusion,
specifically which processors are you referring to and considering?

I'm looking at everything at this point. Hoping to replace my 1.4 ghz
laptop. That's why I needed to ask about the '2.0' because by the old
system that wouldn't be much of an upgrade... Now, I understand it is. I
wasn't even aware of the Core 2 Duo before this. I'm guessing that's pricey
and fairly new but it sounds like that's what I'll want to look into next.

Thanks for asking...and to all that answered!

Old October 5th 06, 07:14 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Jay B

i'm pushing all my customers to core 2!!
i just got my first batch in and they are terrific, better than the core
duo i've been selling. a noticable difference to me.
prices arent that bad.
just resist the temptation to buy the others when the prices on them
start dropping!

Ram Speed question Joe General 1 August 5th 06 08:39 AM
Question on RDRAM (Rambus) Speed Matching Steven O. General 0 January 7th 05 03:16 PM
rosewill 9600 memory speed question macowski Ati Videocards 2 November 20th 04 02:20 PM
CD-R write speed question George W. Dell Computers 6 July 13th 03 04:50 PM
Case Fan Speed Question Wayne Homebuilt PC's 1 July 2nd 03 05:20 AM