Burning a large AVI file to VCD

Old October 31st 05, 03:10 PM
The Seabat

Default Burning a large AVI file to VCD

Howdy:

I have a 1,433,064 KB .avi file that I would like to burn to a CD and
make a VCD. How do I go about breaking this thing up to fit on, what,
two or three, CD's?? I have Nero 5.5 Express that will burn VCD's.
I've burned 'em before, and Nero seems to convert them into the format
needed for burning. But I have never tried a file this size before and
it won't fit onto one CD-R. What steps do I have to do to accomplish
this task?

Thank you.

--
The Seabat
Old October 31st 05, 10:06 PM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

The Seabat wrote:

Howdy:

I have a 1,433,064 KB .avi file that I would like to burn to a CD and
make a VCD. How do I go about breaking this thing up to fit on, what,
two or three, CD's?? I have Nero 5.5 Express that will burn VCD's.
I've burned 'em before, and Nero seems to convert them into the format
needed for burning. But I have never tried a file this size before and
it won't fit onto one CD-R. What steps do I have to do to accomplish
this task?

Use VirtualDub to split. There might be a tutorial in www.videohelp.com
on how to do that as well as where to get it.
'

Who Is Mike Richter and
Why Are They Saying All These Horrible Things About Him?
http://tinyurl.com/6eldj

(No Mikey S-lickers have been able to prove ANY of the following is)
( a LIBEL -- despite Mikey claimed to have proof of misquotes !! )

Mike Richter is a LIAR (wife beating)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (critical bugs)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (major bug)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (nda limit)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (nda)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (no secret)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (no secret)(ii)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (dae)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (enhanced-cd)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (no enhanced cd)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (enhanced-cd/cdr-faq)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (cd-extra/cd-text)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (cd-extra/sao/tao)(i)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (cd-extra/single-session)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/winme)(i)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/winme)(ii)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/win2k)(i)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/win2k)(ii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/win2k)(iii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/win2k)(iv)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (aspi/plextor)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(i)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(ii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(iii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(iv)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(v)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(vi)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(vii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(8a)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/eject)(9a)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (i)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (ii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (iii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (iv)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (v)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (vi)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (vii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (viii)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (ix)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (x)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (xi)
Mike Richter is a LIAR (directcd/sparing) (xii)

Mike Richter is a LIAR (supplied cd)

What's wrong with Mike Richter (Tim Kroesen) (i)
What's wrong with Mike Richter (Tim Kroesen) (ii)

Mike Richter Wow! Wow! Wow!

Mike Richter's Exquisite Sense of Time (i)
Mike Richter's Exquisite Sense of Time (ii)
Mike Richter's Exquisite Sense of Time (iii)

Mike Richter & "Looooooooonng" Time for Nothing

What an Asshole
Old November 1st 05, 12:49 AM
Dave Cohen

"The Seabat" wrote in message
Howdy:

I have a 1,433,064 KB .avi file that I would like to burn to a CD and
make a VCD. How do I go about breaking this thing up to fit on, what,
two or three, CD's?? I have Nero 5.5 Express that will burn VCD's.
I've burned 'em before, and Nero seems to convert them into the format
needed for burning. But I have never tried a file this size before and
it won't fit onto one CD-R. What steps do I have to do to accomplish
this task?

Thank you.

--
The Seabat

You can use winzip or similar and specify the file size. There are also
other file splitting programs, the one's I've used run under dos. Whatever
you use, you'll need enough free space on hd to hold the fragments. I think
with winzip you can restore straight from the cd's.
Dave Cohen

Old November 1st 05, 03:16 AM
The Seabat

On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 00:49:53 GMT, "Dave Cohen"
wrote:

You can use winzip or similar and specify the file size. There are also
other file splitting programs, the one's I've used run under dos. Whatever
you use, you'll need enough free space on hd to hold the fragments. I think
with winzip you can restore straight from the cd's.
Dave Cohen

I don't want to 'store' the file on a CD, I want to burn it to the CD
as a VCD that can be played in my DVD player that is hooked up to my
TV set.
--
The Seabat
Old November 1st 05, 04:28 PM
Mike Richter

"The Seabat" wrote in message

Howdy:

I have a 1,433,064 KB .avi file that I would like to burn to a CD and
make a VCD. How do I go about breaking this thing up to fit on, what,
two or three, CD's?? I have Nero 5.5 Express that will burn VCD's.
I've burned 'em before, and Nero seems to convert them into the format
needed for burning. But I have never tried a file this size before and
it won't fit onto one CD-R. What steps do I have to do to accomplish
this task?

Thank you.

--
The Seabat

Once again, my news server is not showing all posts - in this case,
Seabat's original does not show up. This reply is to the OP, not to Dave
Cohen's reply.

First, the size of an AVI has no relationship to the duration of the
video it produces. AVI is an envelope for an encoded video file (Audio
Video Interlaced). The codec determines the megabytes per minute. Direct
video capture to AVI may use MJPEG and take 13 GB per hour, about 200 MB
per minute. DivX encoding may produce an AVI with 300 MB per hour, about
5 MB per minute. So there's no reason to believe that a 1.4 GB *when
recoded to whitebook parameters* will not fit on a single VCD. Or it may
take four VCDs or more when appropriately transcoded. The issue is
duration, not size, when making VCDs.

Second, a VCD's video files are written in Mode 2, which means about 80
minutes per 80-minute CD-R. So *if* the AVI is in whitebook format
already it needs to be split to two discs. For that, any video editor
will do. I use Adobe Premiere Pro; you may choose the one that suits you
and less expensive and less demanding programs will do the job equally
well. I would recommend that if you need to transcode, you use the same
editor for that job; that is personal preference rather than a criticism
of Ahead's software which I rarely use for that purpose.

Mike
--

http://www.mrichter.com/
Old November 1st 05, 09:05 PM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------
http://tinyurl.com/6eldj

(No Mikey S-lickers have been able to prove ANY of the above is a LIBEL)
( )

Mike Richter (Slimy Friggin ****) splattered:

"The Seabat" wrote in message

[...]

Impressed! But how about simply open the .avi in (free) VirtualDub and
let it show the total frames and playing time? And no mention on the
importance of key frames in splitting, Mikey?

my dvd burner keeps having problems nullboy Cdr 3 September 9th 05 01:46 AM
Can't format CD-R [DLA] doorlight Cdr 12 June 4th 05 02:12 AM
aopen cdrw - 'session fixation error'? c p General 0 May 10th 05 08:47 PM
Nero help needed foghat Cdr 0 May 31st 04 08:23 PM
Trouble burning large image file. OM Cdr 1 July 13th 03 04:00 AM