Our Dell experience said never again

Old February 18th 04, 04:07 AM
Dan Sgambelluri

actually there are monitor drivers.

here is the updated driver for my monitor from

Dell M992, v.1.0, A00
File Date: 6/21/2002 Digitally signed M992 monitor driver. This driver has
been signed to work with Windows 95, 98, Millennium, 2000 and XP. It
includes the following files: M992.INF, M992.ICM and M992.CAT

"Paul Knudsen" wrote in message
On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 19:18:47 GMT, "Rocket J. Squirrel"
wrote:

I agree with you but didn't have the guts to say it. Many of the problems
that users encounter are their own fault.

Rocky

True, but a company that sells to the average user should be able to
deal with that. Surely someone could have calmly and patiently
explained to the woman in the other post that there are no such things
as "Monitor Drivers".
--
Get on the NRA Blacklist: http://www.NRAblacklist.com

Old February 18th 04, 06:12 AM
Hank Oredson

"Rey Barry" wrote in message
om...

Early mortality 1996 Caviar drives were common knowledge.

Pretty good short story, you should submit it to one or another
of the magazines that specialize in things like this. Was fun to read
though, you obviously spent some time composing it. However
it would have been much better if you had the date right. The
infant mortality Caviars (bad lot of IDE driver chips) did not
happen in 1996. How do I know? I bought six Gateway boxes
and they all had the problem. The solution was real simple:
I went to the store and bought a drive. As each Caviar failed,
I replaced it then shipped it to Gateway. They shipped a new
one back next day. Wash, rinse, repeat until all six were replaced.

--

... Hank

Hank: http://horedson.home.att.net
W0RLI: http://w0rli.home.att.net

Old February 18th 04, 01:45 PM
Carol

"Heinz Kiosk" wrote in message
news
"Rey Barry" wrote in message
om...

Over the years I have bought a lot of Dells. On balance I have found them

be good value for money. Higher quality than "supermarket" PCs and cheaper
than the likes of Compaq/HP.

I have had a couple of horror stories and a couple of shouting matches

when
brand-new machines have not performed as expected, but no more often than
with machines from other manufacturers.

OTOH I never buy tech support or extended warranty from anyone. I figure
they make money selling it so if something goes wrong I just go down to PC
World and buy a replacement. People need to get over their fear of

opening
the case. Most components are easy to replace. I've saved £1000's over the
years by doing that. Warranties are really a form of insurance and

insurance
is a bad idea if you can afford the loss involved in a worst-case

scenario.

Tom

I will disagree with you on extended warranties. Whether or not to get the
extended warranty depends on the user. I always get them for my computers
and I'm always glad I did. I don't care about tech support, they are
useless and if it's a software problem I can fix it myself. However, I'm
not knowledgeable enough about hardware to be able to determine the problem
and then walk into a store and know which replacement part I should buy that
will be compatible with the computer. I've had hard drive failures, they
send me a new one and I pop it in. I own laptops and if it's a major
problem I just ship it back to them in a Dell prepaid box and it comes back
to me in a couple of weeks. I don't want to have to put in the time to
figure out what's wrong and then try to replace the part.

Carol

Old February 19th 04, 12:07 AM
Peter Connolly

Hank Oredson wrote:
"Rey Barry" wrote in message
om...
The solution was real simple:
I went to the store and bought a drive. As each Caviar failed,
I replaced it then shipped it to Gateway. They shipped a new
one back next day. Wash, rinse, repeat until all six were replaced.

Hank,

Don't bring logic into such a good story!

I'm waiting for the sequel where Micheal Dell drives to the OPs home and
begs personal forgiveness on his knees. Such an apology would not be
acceptable, of course, and the OP will chew him out in the same way as he
did all the salesmen and technical reps.

Regards,

Pete.

Old February 19th 04, 12:13 AM
Joan Hansen

Peter Connolly wrote:
Hank Oredson wrote:

"Rey Barry" wrote in message
.com...
The solution was real simple:
I went to the store and bought a drive. As each Caviar failed,
I replaced it then shipped it to Gateway. They shipped a new
one back next day. Wash, rinse, repeat until all six were replaced.

Hank,

Don't bring logic into such a good story!

I'm waiting for the sequel where Micheal Dell drives to the OPs home and
begs personal forgiveness on his knees. Such an apology would not be
acceptable, of course, and the OP will chew him out in the same way as he
did all the salesmen and technical reps.

Regards,

Pete.

LOL you made my day :-)

Joan

Old February 20th 04, 04:29 AM
Paul Knudsen

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 23:03:06 -0500, "Robert R Kircher, Jr."
wrote:

True, but a company that sells to the average user should be able to
deal with that. Surely someone could have calmly and patiently
explained to the woman in the other post that there are no such things
as "Monitor Drivers".

Maybe I didn't make that clear enough.

No I understood you well. I guess if she wouldn't listen you you, she
wouldn't listen to Dell either.

. I did try to do just that by
suggesting Video drivers but her MIS friend had more clout then I did.
Frankly I think she misunderstood the guy but I've heard some really strange
things out of profession IT people too.

Hey! I'm one of those! HAHA.
--
Get on the NRA Blacklist: http://www.NRAblacklist.com
Old February 20th 04, 04:36 AM
Paul Knudsen

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 04:07:45 GMT, "Dan Sgambelluri"
wrote:

here is the updated driver for my monitor from

Dell M992, v.1.0, A00
File Date: 6/21/2002 Digitally signed M992 monitor driver. This driver has
been signed to work with Windows 95, 98, Millennium, 2000 and XP. It
includes the following files: M992.INF, M992.ICM and M992.CAT

Interesting. Well for mine Control Panel does give a version and all,
but then it says there are no actual driver files! Beats me why a
monitor wouldn't just handle any signal sent to it..or why anyone
would buy one that didn't!

But I suppose the tech who advised the friend of the other poster
could possibly have been right.
--
Get on the NRA Blacklist: http://www.NRAblacklist.com
Old February 20th 04, 05:27 AM
Robert R Kircher, Jr.

wrote:

True, but a company that sells to the average user should be able to
deal with that. Surely someone could have calmly and patiently
explained to the woman in the other post that there are no such
things as "Monitor Drivers".

Maybe I didn't make that clear enough.

No I understood you well. I guess if she wouldn't listen you you, she
wouldn't listen to Dell either.

That's exactly the problem I'm addressing. Many times people will not
except the help they are given, and it these people who seem to have the
support horror stories.

--

Rob
Q: "What did the redneck say right before he died?"

Old February 20th 04, 10:06 AM
S.Lewis

wrote:

True, but a company that sells to the average user should be able to
deal with that. Surely someone could have calmly and patiently
explained to the woman in the other post that there are no such
things as "Monitor Drivers".

Maybe I didn't make that clear enough.

No I understood you well. I guess if she wouldn't listen you you, she
wouldn't listen to Dell either.

That's exactly the problem I'm addressing. Many times people will not
except the help they are given, and it these people who seem to have the
support horror stories.

--

Rob

snip

Yep. Sometimes "a little knowledge can be dangerous." For those who think
they're too smart to take advice from a phone monkey, they'd be best fixing
it on their own (since they're so smart, right?) .

Stew

Old February 20th 04, 11:07 PM
Dan Sgambelluri

the drivers are for the speciality features the monitor has. The monitor
worked fine without installing the drivers, when I had to do a reinstall, I
saw a ? in one of the hardware components in the Device Manager so I ruled
out every device I already installed and came to the conclusion that I
didn't install anything for the monitor, so I looked for the Monitor driver
CD, installed the drivers and the ? went away