Soyo and ATI Compatiblity Problem in XP ----- SOLUTION FOUND!!!!

Old October 9th 03, 03:13 PM
Hoss.N.Pfeffer

Default Soyo and ATI Compatiblity Problem in XP ----- SOLUTION FOUND!!!!

PROBLEM:
Many messages have been posted on this with many of the following
symptoms:

Infinite Loop
Windows - System Error
Microsoft Windows detected and recovered from a device failure.
Please save your work and reboot to restore full functionality.
3d Game Locks
2d system locks
and so on.

My own personal experience was trying every possible solution (turning
off fast writes, dropping to 4x, reducing aperture, increasing power
supply, upping voltage) and still could at most get an hour of use
before my pc crapped out. Talk about ****ed after shelling out the
clams for a top of the line ATI. I wanted a FIX. Well your mileage
may vary but I think this may finally be it.

SOLUTION(FIX?):
I would love to say I discovered this all on my own, but I didn't.
Here is the link to the original poster.

http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/cont...ic/3153/?o=700 (half way
down read MX's response "I GOT IT! I GOT IT! I GOT IT!")

All I can say is I performed this fix and have been running STABLE
with ALL accelerations (fast writes, 8X and such) for days with no
more problems. I have been pushing my system hard the last few just
to be sure. Allez gut, aber your mileage may vary. But your
desperate right so hey why not give this a try. Are you ready????
It's simple.

KILL SMARTGART!!! and the ati control panal. (but read "I WANT MY
SPEED BACK!!!!" first)

Here is the link to the Smartgart removal tool:
http://www2.ati.com/drivers/smartgart-uninstall.exe

They hid the sucker pretty good. I agree with the original poster
that they didn't want people to know that it was such an issue that
they had to provide a utility to remove it.

I WANT MY SPEED BACK!!!! Solution walkthrough.
Ok so to sum up the process:

1) In your BIOS restore fastwrites and 8X and everything else you
disabled/enabled trying to fix this thing.

2) Start Windows go into the ATI control panel and on the smartgart
tab turn on fast writes and 8X and all the goodies.

3) Run the smartgart-uninstall.exe utility.

4) I don't use anything that requires it so I, as did the original
poster, killed the whole ATI control panel as well. You may NOT need
to do this. Dunno. But to do that: start, settings, control panel,
add/remove programs, ATI Control Panel then click remove and restart.

That was it.

I would love to get some benchmarks out to you all to prove I have
everything turned on, but not being really into that kinda thing I'll
let someone else take on that task. I just wanna start using my kick
ass card the way it was ment to be used!

Well I hope this helps someone. It sure as **** helped my ass outta
taking a shotgun to a $400 card.

Tschüß
Pfeffer.
Old October 9th 03, 09:43 PM
farmuse

dunno but I fixed my 9500 pro and np by upping the agp voltage to
1.6v and using the Omega driver ~