GA7N400 Pro 2 MBoard Not Finding Correct CPU! Please Help!

Old August 12th 04, 06:09 PM
Mag1c1an

Default GA7N400 Pro 2 MBoard Not Finding Correct CPU! Please Help!

Hi All Again,

Just installed the motherboard in my system and when it boots up all i am
getting is the boot up sequence followed by 5 shortish beeps.

I have assertained that this is a cpu error, but i cant figure out why? I
do know that the motherboard is setup to auto detect the CPU but it keeps
getting it wrong, it keeps finding an AMD Athlon XP 1250 mhz. I have tried
all different types of configuration but it doesnt change.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old August 12th 04, 11:13 PM
rotor

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 17:09:28 GMT, "Mag1c1an"
wrote:

Hi All Again,

Just installed the motherboard in my system and when it boots up all i am
getting is the boot up sequence followed by 5 shortish beeps.

I have assertained that this is a cpu error, but i cant figure out why? I
do know that the motherboard is setup to auto detect the CPU but it keeps
getting it wrong, it keeps finding an AMD Athlon XP 1250 mhz. I have tried
all different types of configuration but it doesnt change.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Flip The Little Dip switch on the board!!

Rotor:-

Old August 13th 04, 08:33 AM
Mag1c1an

wrote:

Hi All Again,

Just installed the motherboard in my system and when it boots up all i am
getting is the boot up sequence followed by 5 shortish beeps.

I have assertained that this is a cpu error, but i cant figure out why?

do know that the motherboard is setup to auto detect the CPU but it keeps
getting it wrong, it keeps finding an AMD Athlon XP 1250 mhz. I have

tried
all different types of configuration but it doesnt change.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Flip The Little Dip switch on the board!!

Rotor:-

Thanks for that little diamond piece of information, as if i hadn't already
got the dip switches all set to the correct settings.

I have the clk_sw set to auto, not off which is the default, so it should
auto configure itself to 400/333/266 fsb, and i also have the multiplier
dips set to auto, so theoretically this should find the right processor.
But it still only finds it as a 1250 mhz, in actual fact it doesnt matter if
the clk_sw is off or on, it doesnt seem to make any difference, the cpu is
still only found as a 1250.

The trouble is the computer wont stay on long enough for me to get into the
bios to change the FSB to 166 through the settings, when ever i try to get
to the bios i get the 5 shortish beeps and the computer turns itself off.

Im losing my mind, any other constructive answers please!

Old August 13th 04, 10:26 AM
Dan

"Mag1c1an" wrote in message ...
Thanks for that little diamond piece of information, as if i hadn't already
got the dip switches all set to the correct settings.

Mmmm, sorry I suggested that too. Google Groups is so slow for seeing
posted answers.

The trouble is the computer wont stay on long enough for me to get into the
bios to change the FSB to 166 through the settings, when ever i try to get
to the bios i get the 5 shortish beeps and the computer turns itself off.

Im losing my mind, any other constructive answers please!

That sounds like a dodgy board. If you don't go into BIOS will it
actually boot into the OS?
Old August 13th 04, 10:35 AM
Dan

"Mag1c1an" wrote in message ...
The trouble is the computer wont stay on long enough for me to get into the
bios to change the FSB to 166 through the settings, when ever i try to get
to the bios i get the 5 shortish beeps and the computer turns itself off.

I Found this (for another Gigabyte board, but maybe of some help?)

"Award BIOS 4.51PG/Gigabyte GA-BX2000: Five short beeps sound when the
main BIOS is corrupted and the spare BIOS has to be loaded as only
choice for successful boot."

http://www.bioscentral.com/beepcodes/awardbeep.htm

HTH

Dan
Old August 14th 04, 11:01 AM
Anders Nielsen

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 20:02:39 GMT, "Mag1c1an"
wrote:

I have now decided that the board is at fault and it is now going back to
dabs on monday.

What about the throttle option in the bios, is that enabled? if yes
try disable it.

Old August 14th 04, 03:09 PM
Mag1c1an

wrote:

I have now decided that the board is at fault and it is now going back to
dabs on monday.

What about the throttle option in the bios, is that enabled? if yes
try disable it.

The board wont let me get into the bios, ive tried 3 different cpus now and
everytime i try to enter the setup the boot up just hangs and doesnt enter,
ive tried my 2600 xp that dabs sent me back as none faulty, ive tried a
2400xp that im running in this machine which works, and that does the same
thing, and ive tried a 900 mhz duron, all the same.

Wont let me enter the bios.