Looking for very specific video card driver

Old September 30th 03, 05:23 PM
Nick Loecke

Default Looking for very specific video card driver

Hello, and thanks for looking at my post.
I have an AOpen PA3000+ video card. It is a repackaged NVidia RIVA
TNT2 model 64. I know where to get the driver from AOpen, I know the
exact file name, size, and release date & version. It is for WinXP.
AOpen's site is not working properly, so it is not allowing me to
download. i have tried everything short of calling them on the phone,
trying to contact them. That is my next choice. Here are the
specifications on the file:
URL
http://www.aopen.com/tech/download/vga/nvidia.htm

File Name & Stuff
WinXp2k_2942.exe 12,652KB 06/13/2002 v29.42 Driver for Win2000/XP

Thanks for your help in advance
nloecke "at" yahoo dot com
Nick
Old September 30th 03, 06:02 PM
mcheu

On 30 Sep 2003 09:23:58 -0700, (Nick Loecke) wrote::

Hello, and thanks for looking at my post.
I have an AOpen PA3000+ video card. It is a repackaged NVidia RIVA
TNT2 model 64. I know where to get the driver from AOpen, I know the
exact file name, size, and release date & version. It is for WinXP.
AOpen's site is not working properly, so it is not allowing me to
download. i have tried everything short of calling them on the phone,
trying to contact them. That is my next choice. Here are the
specifications on the file:
URL
http://www.aopen.com/tech/download/vga/nvidia.htm

File Name & Stuff
WinXp2k_2942.exe 12,652KB 06/13/2002 v29.42 Driver for Win2000/XP

Thanks for your help in advance
nloecke "at" yahoo dot com
Nick

Detonator v29.42 for NT/XP:

http://download.com.com/3001-2108-10120178.html

Of course, the current drivers from NVidia would probably work too.
Thanks,

MCheu
Old October 1st 03, 08:42 PM
Vanguard

Version 29.42 seems a bit old (but maybe for this particular chipset
that was the latest version). When I run through the menues at nVidia
on the TNT2 chipset for Windows 2000/XP, it takes me to
http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp-2k_45.23 (for version 45.23).

** Share with others. Post replies in the newsgroup.
** If present, remove all "-NIX" from my email address.

Old October 1st 03, 11:28 PM
kony

On Wed, 01 Oct 2003 19:42:40 GMT, "Vanguard"
wrote:

Version 29.42 seems a bit old (but maybe for this particular chipset
that was the latest version). When I run through the menues at nVidia
on the TNT2 chipset for Windows 2000/XP, it takes me to
http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp-2k_45.23 (for version 45.23).

The card should work with any of the Detonator driver versions,
probably doesn't matter too much which version so long as it's higher
than 20.xx. On the other hand, IIRC there were other features (like
Digital Vibrance or whatever they call it, and more) included only in
the 40.xx & higher.

I can't imagine trying to run games that require DX9 on that old/slow
card, but if the OP has DX9 installed anyway it's probably better to
go ahead and use the latest 45.xx series driver.

Dave
Old October 3rd 03, 07:21 PM
MCheu

"Vanguard" wrote in message news:Q6Geb.649545$Ho3.134258@sccrnsc03...
Version 29.42 seems a bit old (but maybe for this particular chipset
that was the latest version). When I run through the menues at nVidia
on the TNT2 chipset for Windows 2000/XP, it takes me to
http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp-2k_45.23 (for version 45.23).

** Share with others. Post replies in the newsgroup.
** If present, remove all "-NIX" from my email address.

That's the version the OP asked for and it was the only download link
I could find on google for it. If you check out the header, it says
he's looking for a "very specific video card driver". You'll note I
made reference to the NVidia site's driver as well, but ultimately,
the OP didn't ask for that one.

There are reasons for using specific driver versions.

There are some games with bugs in them that are corrected by using a
specific driver version. That is, the problem is fixed in that
version, but may be broken again in later drivers.

One example I can think of off the top of my head is Project IGI (The
first one). The hud overlay only shows up when using certain very
specific driver versions. Codemasters worked with NVidia to fix an
issue in the game, but for whatever reason, after two driver
revisions, it was broken again (no fix and support was dumped shortly
after that by EIDOS).

Another is that on some older video cards, one might see some
performance boosts by using older drivers. The added features of the
new drivers add extra overhead without always offering new
functionality -- especially on older hardware.

Thanks,

MCheu