Why are mainboard boxes already opened?

Old October 3rd 06, 01:38 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Rod Speed

Default Why are mainboard boxes already opened?

John Doe wrote
Agent_C Agent-C-hates-spam nyc.rr.com wrote
Garrot invalid invalid.invalid wrote

Who wants to buy a loaf of bread that has been exposed to air born germs?
Small bakeries here don't wrap the bread either but they should, IMO.

You should see the way restaurants get bread delivered in bulk. Tall paper
bags left at the front door early in the morning. Often not even closed.

Americans are comical in their 'germ' phobias.

I wonder if the troll is ever heard of the bubonic plague.

Not a lot of it around anymore in modern first world countrys, trollchild.

Old October 3rd 06, 02:09 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Venom

"Clint" wrote in message
Actually, the local store I shop from has a table of returned products,
available at discount. And I've seen things I've returned sitting there

on
the table. So while I have no proof that all the items that are returned
make it to this magical table, I do know that some of them do, which is

more
than can be said for other vendors like newegg, who have apparently

shipped
the wrong product to customers because it was in the wrong box.

I had a sweet win about 6 months ago caused by the wrong mobo in the wrong
box. I had ordered a socket 754 board as they were dirt cheap at the time
and I just wanted it for a spare. Imagine my pleasant surprise when I opened
the box and there was a better model socket 939 board looking back at me. I
guess somebody in a hurry just slammed that board and it's bits into the
wrong empty box. This alone makes me wonder if we do get boards that are not
strictly brand new from time to time.

Old October 3rd 06, 02:27 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Garrot

On Sun, 1 Oct 2006 20:32:52 -0600, Mark A wrote:

Actually, a lot of grocery stores with in-house bakeries sell bread that is
not in sealed packages. Sometimes it is behind a glass case, but it is not
in a "sealed" package. Neither are most of the fruits and vegetables.

As we found out recently, organic spinach that is packaged in sealed plastic
can be deadly.

Yea, but vegetables get washed or boiled before you eat them, bread
doesn't. Wrap the friggin' bread, I don't want other people's germs on my
food!
Old October 3rd 06, 02:30 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Mark A

"Clint" wrote in message
Actually, the local store I shop from has a table of returned products,
available at discount. And I've seen things I've returned sitting there
on the table. So while I have no proof that all the items that are
returned make it to this magical table, I do know that some of them do,
which is more than can be said for other vendors like newegg, who have
apparently shipped the wrong product to customers because it was in the
wrong box.

With regards to the vendor flashing the BIOS, the local store that I've
dealt with consistently has the cheapest prices compared to the other ones
in town, and even on-line (up here in Canada, anyway). And they flashed
the BIOS for me at no extra charge when I got my Pentium D processor. The
reading I'd done suggested that some revisions of the BIOS couldn't handle
the Pentium D processors, and so I figured better safe than sorry.

And finally, the ASUS boards I got came in a sealed anti-static bag, I
believe. Could be wrong on that one, though. The hard drives were
definately sealed.

Speaking of sorry, sorry for your cynical attitude...

Clint

OEM drives usually come in anti-static bags that are not sealed, because
they are meant for system builders on an assembly line for quickly taking
them out of the bag and installing them. Retail drives are a different
matter. However, if a retailer sells OEM drives, then they might (or might
not) put their own sticker on the bag to "seal" it, even if they did not
come that way from the manufacturer.

My Asus board came in an anti-static bag that was not sealed, but I know
that it was brand new. The vast majority of MB's (even more than disk
drives) are purchased by system builders, so it is not surprising that the
anti-static bags are not sealed. If all the cables and other stuff that
comes in the retail packaging are still sealed and obviously unused, it is
unlikely that anyone used the motherboard and returned it.

Newegg does sell open box items, but they are clearly marked as such. There
are always certain customers who buy from Newegg and don't read the
description carefully and may not know that the item they are buying is an
open box or returned item.

Old October 3rd 06, 02:31 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Garrot

On Mon, 2 Oct 2006 17:09:09 +1000, Rod Speed wrote:

Wrong again. The crust goes soggy when its wrapped and
those europeans eat the bread the day its bought anyway.

They dont appear to be dying like flys, so
your mindless germ phobia is your problem.

They are no doubt happy you stay away from europe.

I'm sure you would feel different if you knew that the bread you just
bought was sneezed on by someone or handled by someone who just wiped their
ass and didn't wash their hands. What most people assume is a mild flue is
actually caused by mild food poisoning - fact.
Old October 3rd 06, 02:58 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Mark A

"Garrot" wrote in message
Yea, but vegetables get washed or boiled before you eat them, bread
doesn't. Wrap the friggin' bread, I don't want other people's germs on my
food!

The e-coli bacteria does not wash out of the spinach that was sold recently
in sealed plastic bags (organic spinach no less). Lots of people eat raw
spinach salads.

Just because bread is not packaged, does not mean that anyone can fondle it.
Only the store employees typically can touch the unpackaged bread until it
is handed to the customer.

If you actually knew who touched your food in most restaurants, you would
probably never eat out again.

Old October 3rd 06, 02:59 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Mark A

"Garrot" wrote in message
I'm sure you would feel different if you knew that the bread you just
bought was sneezed on by someone or handled by someone who just wiped
their
ass and didn't wash their hands. What most people assume is a mild flue is
actually caused by mild food poisoning - fact.

So what about the people who take the bread in put in a sealed package? Do
you think these low-paid people are perfectly healthy and clean?

Old October 3rd 06, 03:19 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Clint

I never win the rolls of those dice. I'm the guy who orders the socket 939
board, and gets your socket 754 board instead!

Clint

Old October 3rd 06, 04:01 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
John Doe

"Mark A" wrote:

"Garrot" wrote in message
I'm sure you would feel different if you knew that the bread you
just bought was sneezed on by someone or handled by someone who
just wiped their
ass and didn't wash their hands. What most people assume is a
mild flue is actually caused by mild food poisoning - fact.

So what about the people who take the bread in put in a sealed
package? Do you think these low-paid people are perfectly healthy
and clean?

Speaking of a large variety of wrapped bread loaves you can find on
store shelves here in the United States, I don't see any reason why
they would be touched when baked and packaged in a modern facility.

There's no way to guarantee perfectly safe food, but there are some
obvious possible sources of contamination like Garrot mentioned
above.

Old October 3rd 06, 04:02 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
John Doe

"Mark A" wrote:

If you actually knew who touched your food in most restaurants,
you would probably never eat out again.

Did you touch my food?