AMD future

Old December 18th 03, 10:37 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Wes Newell

Default AMD future

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 11:18:32 -0500, The Spectre wrote:

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 22:40:48 -0500, The Spectre wrote:

No one needs 64 bit computing

yep, and in the late 70's no one needed 16bit, and in the 80's no one
needed 32bit. Wise up.

No YOU WISE up! There is almost ZERO 64 bit software available and by
the time MS releases a 64 bit OS and vendor re-compile or write 64 bit
software it will be 2 years and time to upgrade again!

And when 16 bit cpu's came out there was almost zero 16 bit software. Same
with 32 bit. So what makes you think it would be any different with 64
bit? And screw MS. I've got a 64 bit os right now, just like I had a 32bit
OS long before MS came out with one. Your point just isn't valid.

The intel P4 overclocks like mad

If you say so.

I don't say so its the countless users overclocking P4 2.4's and 2.6's
to well over 3Ghz and beyond that prove so. Not to mention the 4Ghz
systems floating around the web with proper cooling.

The point I was trying to make is real simple. Even an overclocked P4EE to
3.4GHz at $1000 isn't as fast as an Athlon FX51 at $750 overclocked to
2.4GHz. So how much it overclocks isn't valid either. Ref:

http://www.aceshardware.com/read.jsp?id=60000253

Finally, upcomming Prescott on reduced die size

Upcoming doesn't count now and there's no data on it.

Pleanty of DATA on it once again You have not looked hard enough!

So tell me where I can buy one NOW, not tomorrow. Tomorrow, AMD will also
have newer faster cores.

I want to stay with AMD but anyone know something I don't?

I know that with AMD, you get what you pay for and more. With Intel,
you pay for name and the blue people and don't get much for your money.
$1000 will get you the new P4EE. Go for it, it's not my money.:-)

I asked for opinions and feedback not A-Hole smart ass coments so if you
have something informative and accurate to add please do so otherwise
keep it to yourself.

And I gave you what you asked for. I guess you're just too dense to see
it. But I'm beginning to think you're just another idiot Intel troll. If
you're not, then do wtf you want to do and don't rely on opinions of
people you know nothing about. If you think Intel is for you, then buy it.
I really couldn't care less. I don't own stock in either Intel or AMD and
it doesn't natter one little bit too me which you choose.

Old December 18th 03, 10:40 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
LBJGH

Ney Neil... get rid of the water cooling and get a thermalright slk800 and
some vantec stealth fans... I know you just like soldering the copper.

"Neil" wrote in message
e.rogers.com...
The Spectre wrote:

Hey guys just want to get some feed back. My last 3 comouters have all
been AMD home builts but my next one may not be. I will be building a

new
computer to replace my aging 2200+ and I have to say unless something
fantastic happens its gonna be Intel inside.

No one needs 64 bit computing
The intel P4 overclocks like mad
A 1Gz+ gap is getting harder and harder for AMD to overcome
New P4's will have added instructions
P4 front side bus is bigger
Most benchmarks show P4 ahead
Finally, upcomming Prescott on reduced die size

I want to stay with AMD but anyone know something I don't?

Well you can go a 3000+ A64 for resonable cost with a new board.

Persoanlly
I run both platforms a NF2 2500+@3200+ and a p4 2.4@3 gig at 250 fsb, one
advantage of the p4 is it is almost a silent system, the amd is
watercooled or would be too noisey for my liking.

---

Old December 18th 03, 11:42 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Joe727

"The Spectre" wrote in message
.. .

snip

No one needs 64 bit computing

snip

Well, you might want to bookmark this post for posterity. It will likely
join these other pronouncements:

"640K ought to be enough for anybody."
- Bill Gates, CEO and founder of Microsoft and world's wealthiest man, 1981

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."
-Ken Olson, president, chairman and founder of Digital Equipment Corp.
(DEC), maker of big business mainframe computers, arguing against the PC,
1977

Transmission of documents via telephone wires is possible in principle, but
the apparatus required is so expensive that it will never become a practical
proposition."
- Dennis Gabor, British physicist and author of Inventing the Future, 1962

"There is practically no chance communications space satellites will be used
to provide better telephone, telegraph, television, or radio service inside
the United States."
- T. Craven, FCC Commissioner, 1961 (the first commercial communications
satellite went into service in 1965)

"The world potential market for copying machines is 5000 at most."
- IBM , to the eventual founders of Xerox, saying the photocopier had no
market large enough to justify production, 1959

http://www.permanent.com/quotes.htm

For now, your prognostication resides he

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...outh.net#link1

Joe

Old December 19th 03, 12:24 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Jerry McBride

My comments mixed in with yours...

The Spectre wrote:

Hey guys just want to get some feed back. My last 3 comouters have all
been AMD home builts but my next one may not be.

What else is there? AMD is running circles around INTEL...

I will be building a new
computer to replace my aging 2200+ and I have to say unless something
fantastic happens its gonna be Intel inside.

And what are you going to gain?

No one needs 64 bit computing

Check back, in a few months and see if you are still singing the same tune.
In case you haven't noticed, the AMD 64bit processors are setting the world
on fire.

The intel P4 overclocks like mad

And MAD's don't?

A 1Gz+ gap is getting harder and harder for AMD to overcome

It pretty much ends with the 64bit processors...

New P4's will have added instructions

Yeah, they will support the AMD 64bit specification... Will it be any good?
Who knows and who cares. I mean, after all, look how poorly the HT
extention has been executed....

P4 front side bus is bigger

All hipe...

Most benchmarks show P4 ahead

I see alot of AMD bench marks putting INTEL to shame... What's your point?

Finally, upcomming Prescott on reduced die size

Until it ships, it's all vaporware... a page right out of MicroSoft's
business procedure...

I want to stay with AMD but anyone know something I don't?

A lot apparently...

--

************************************************** ****************************
Registered Linux User Number 185956
Old December 19th 03, 04:19 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Peter van der Goes

"The Spectre" wrote in message

No YOU WISE up! There is almost ZERO 64 bit software available and by the
time MS releases a 64 bit OS and vendor re-compile or write 64 bit

software
it will be 2 years and time to upgrade again!

Um, you don't have a MSDN subscription, do you?
For some of us, 64 bit software is already here ;-)

Old December 19th 03, 04:28 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Peter van der Goes

"The Spectre" wrote in message
I asked for opinions and feedback not A-Hole smart ass coments so if you
have something informative and accurate to add please do so otherwise keep
it to yourself.

No, wrong again.
Leadfoot gave you feedback.
Now, if you'd specified only positive feedback, you'd have a case ;-)

Old December 19th 03, 01:00 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Peter van der Goes

"Never anonymous Bud" wrote in message

Some of prefer NOT to pay to run beta (OR alpha) software,
and help MS get bigger and nastier.

To each his own, Bud.
I assume from your characterization of MS that you've never had the pleasure
of dealing with Oracle Corporation.

Old December 19th 03, 01:18 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
dgk

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 07:00:47 -0600, "Peter van der Goes"
wrote:

"Never anonymous Bud" wrote in message
.. .

Some of prefer NOT to pay to run beta (OR alpha) software,
and help MS get bigger and nastier.

To each his own, Bud.
I assume from your characterization of MS that you've never had the pleasure
of dealing with Oracle Corporation.

There are lots of folks who hate Microsoft because it is cool to hate
Microsoft. Lots of very smart people work for MS and make fine
software. Sure there are bugs. I write software and I mess up
sometimes too.

I notice that the only major corporation not giving tons of money to
politicians was Microsoft. Oracle did. Sun did. Along come a bunch of
lawsuits from folks who did give lots to politicians, and all of a
sudden Microsoft starts making contributions. Oh, what a surprise, we
have a settlement.
Old December 19th 03, 01:22 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
dgk

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 13:24:23 -0700, "Leadfoot"
wrote:

If you decide to go with intel don't let the door bump you on the ass

;-)

I asked for opinions and feedback not A-Hole smart ass coments so if you
have something informative and accurate to add please do so otherwise keep
it to yourself.

You got opinion and feedback. If you can't take a comment meant to be funny
you "may" be a little too thin skinned for usenet.

I shudder to think what we would pay for processors if AMD was to go out of
business.

Have a nice day

That is a key point and one of the reasons that I have almost always
bought AMD. I like a bit of competition. First off, I don't buy the
cutting edge chips, I aim for the top of the value point. I just got a
2500+ and a nice Asus board for it. Pretty damn cheap for what I'm
getting.

Yes, let AMD go out of business. Watch your Intel prices then.
Old December 19th 03, 03:59 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
The Spectre

Well I think I am going to just wait a few months and see how this plays out
in Q1 of 2004. Truth is both companies highend chips are way too expensive
vs thier 2nd or third fastest. I really do want AMD to win out on this. Like
someone else said if it were not for AMD we would all be paying way to much
right now. However, that said IMHO AMD has got to get well past the 2Ghz
barrier in thier chips as Intel approaches the 4Gz mark.

Thanks for the input.