How to secure erase memory card?

Old May 30th 06, 04:03 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware

Default How to secure erase memory card?

I have a SD Card that I'm selling shortly since I no longer have a use
for. My question, I know with a hard drive it's important to securely
erase it. I use a program called KillDisk but is the same necessary
for a SD Card? I already used Windows Explorer to erase all files and
then as well did a format on it. Will that do the job?
Old May 30th 06, 05:27 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware

On Mon, 29 May 2006 21:03:36 -0600, MarkW
wrote:

I have a SD Card that I'm selling shortly since I no longer have a use
for. My question, I know with a hard drive it's important to securely
erase it. I use a program called KillDisk but is the same necessary
for a SD Card? I already used Windows Explorer to erase all files and
then as well did a format on it. Will that do the job?

If you delete the files (I don't know what "erase" is
supposed to mean) then formatted it, that is not enough to
keep a skilled technician from recovering parts if not all
of it. Would anyone care enough to try though, and is the
data sensitive? If not, don't worry about it.

You don't need a comprehensive program like used for HDD to
overwrite random passes several times or anything like that,
just put something on the drive that complete fills it, to
overwrite all of it. For example on a 512MB drive, copy a
512MB (actually slightly smaller due to marketing
terminology for "MB) file to it, then when that finishes,
delete it. Anyone who could recover your data after that
would not bother, they would already have you bugged and
just raid your home/office/car and take what they want
instead.
Old May 31st 06, 03:13 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware

"MarkW" wrote in message
I have a SD Card that I'm selling shortly since I no longer have a use
for. My question, I know with a hard drive it's important to securely
erase it. I use a program called KillDisk but is the same necessary
for a SD Card? I already used Windows Explorer to erase all files and
then as well did a format on it. Will that do the job?

You might want to ask on the alt.comp.freeware newsgroup to see if anyone
there knows of a freeware program that reportedly clears SD cards.

While the memory chips in the card do not retain a recoverable layer like a
hard drive or floppy disk almost any program that Microsoft OS uses to erase
them usually means there is a way to unease them. I'd look for a 3rd party
program in the freeware newsgroup for a more secure method of erasure.

You might want to ask on the alt.comp.freeware newsgroup to see if anyone
there knows of a freeware program that reportedly clears SD cards.

graphics card or motherboard ? DavidG Ati Videocards 4 April 14th 06 01:39 PM
fsb speed - why does it matter? James Hanley Overclocking 52 November 7th 04 12:04 PM
16mb buffer hard drive in a laptop Dan Irwin Storage (alternative) 49 November 4th 04 04:18 PM
Cisco News Ya'll MemoryDealers General 0 April 21st 04 04:14 PM
Pentium 4 HT vs dual XEON Mike Intel 22 July 21st 03 07:07 PM