Erase/Wipe disk and heat problem.

Old October 7th 05, 12:30 AM
John .

Default Erase/Wipe disk and heat problem.

Last year, I had a WD 250GB JB hard drive and used Norton wipe to
clear some large folders. After about 10 minutes, my drive froze up
and was completely gone, even from the bios.

I assume it was heat or temperature related from the wiping process,
even though I am careful about air flow in the case.

Is this a common problem with wiping? I'm hesitant to even try a
secure erase again.

Any recommendations on software that won't burn up the disk (assuming
that is what happened)?
Old October 7th 05, 02:46 AM
Rod Speed

John . wrote

Last year, I had a WD 250GB JB hard drive and used Norton
wipe to clear some large folders. After about 10 minutes, my
drive froze up and was completely gone, even from the bios.

Coincidence.

I assume it was heat or temperature related from the wiping
process, even though I am careful about air flow in the case.

Is this a common problem with wiping?

Nope, it just doesnt happen.

I'm hesitant to even try a secure erase again.

Any recommendations on software that won't burn
up the disk (assuming that is what happened)?

The software is irrelevant to that.

Old October 7th 05, 01:17 PM
Arno Wagner

Previously John . wrote:
Last year, I had a WD 250GB JB hard drive and used Norton wipe to
clear some large folders. After about 10 minutes, my drive froze up
and was completely gone, even from the bios.

I assume it was heat or temperature related from the wiping process,
even though I am careful about air flow in the case.

Is this a common problem with wiping? I'm hesitant to even try a
secure erase again.

I have seen it with a disk that I wanted to wipe on-the-fly, i.e.
just lying on some books, without airflow or heatsink. I don't
remember which didk this was, might have been an 80GB Maxtor.
Same operation with a Samsung was no problem.

Any recommendations on software that won't burn up the disk (assuming
that is what happened)?

No. Cool it adequately and it should work.

Arno
Old October 7th 05, 03:53 PM
Mike Redrobe

Arno Wagner wrote:
Previously John . wrote:
Last year, I had a WD 250GB JB hard drive and used Norton wipe to
clear some large folders. After about 10 minutes, my drive froze up
and was completely gone, even from the bios.

I assume it was heat or temperature related from the wiping process,
even though I am careful about air flow in the case.

Is this a common problem with wiping? I'm hesitant to even try a
secure erase again.

I have seen it with a disk that I wanted to wipe on-the-fly, i.e.
just lying on some books, without airflow or heatsink.

This is nothing specific to wiping a disk, other than sustained
disk access for a while, and poor drive cooling.

It's really just heat related.

All modern drives report temperatures via smart,
e.g. download dtemp or similar
so just monitor temperatures, and/or point a fan at them.

--
Mike

Old October 7th 05, 07:19 PM
CWatters

"Arno Wagner" wrote in message

I have seen it with a disk that I wanted to wipe on-the-fly, i.e.
just lying on some books, without airflow or heatsink.

I replaced a drive in my PC and tested it with the side of the case off. It
got way too hot because the airflow was messed up. With the side of the case
fitted the drive temp is 29C.

Old October 7th 05, 07:22 PM
CWatters

"John ." wrote in message
Last year, I had a WD 250GB JB hard drive and used Norton wipe to
clear some large folders. After about 10 minutes, my drive froze up
and was completely gone, even from the bios.

I assume it was heat or temperature related from the wiping process,
even though I am careful about air flow in the case.

I've had drives fail slowly - They work fine until you access one part of
the drive then the heads start buzzing like a bee.
A secure erase will move the head over the entire surface of the disk. If
there was a suspect area this would find it.

Old October 8th 05, 02:23 AM
Arno Wagner

Previously CWatters wrote:

"Arno Wagner" wrote in message

I have seen it with a disk that I wanted to wipe on-the-fly, i.e.
just lying on some books, without airflow or heatsink.

I replaced a drive in my PC and tested it with the side of the case off. It
got way too hot because the airflow was messed up. With the side of the case
fitted the drive temp is 29C.

Depending on the disk that can happen. Airflow is very important.
I once had the opposite of your experience: Fine with
side cover off, but getting too hot with it on. The situation was
that it was mounted firmly in a metal case that gave reasonable
convection cooling with the case open, but formed a heat-bubble
with it closed.

Arno