Microsoft to force Windows updates?

Old September 1st 03, 12:58 AM
David Candy

This is a NetBIOS thing. Because NT based systems are corporate =
computers they default to Networking for any connection, as they will be =
used in a company LAN. If using it for purpoes lika home computer =
requires it to be reconfigured.

So the blaster only affects computers set up for networking. XP, as a =
corporate OS, defaults to networking for all connections. One needs to =
disable NETBIOS over the internet connection.

Most firewalls also block NetBIOS by default. But this in not =
necessararly enough.

The only place where the patch would be required is computers connected =
to corporate networks. While the network should protect the computers =
from attacks, if one computer gets infected it will infect all others =
without a patch.

However it should be a non issue on a standalone computer that has been =
coorrectly manually configured.

9x computers default to being correctly configured for Interneting.

--=20
David Candy
http://www.mvps.org/serenitymacros/
http://www.simtel.com/pub/pd/18669.html
"Greg P Rozelle " wrote in message =
David Candy
Without any help from a virus or firewall=20
How can you configure your computer not to get the blaster virus?
=20
Greg P Rozelle
=20
On Mon, 1 Sep 2003 02:58:38 +1000, "David Candy" =

wrote:
=20
The patch only protects misconfigured computers. If a networkor =3D
standalonne computer is correctly configured it was immune from =

Blaster =3D
and stupidity caused the others. NetBIOS shouldn't be exposed to the =

=3D
internet..

--=3D20
David Candy
http://www.mvps.org/serenitymacros/
http://www.simtel.com/pub/pd/18669.html
"fran paz" wrote in message =3D
The impact of recent virus attacks on XP and Win 2K users then =

would =3D
confirm
that a huge number of PC users are relatively uninformed...or, =3D

perhaps, they
don't trust Microsoft patches after suffering through XP SP1 or Win =

2K =3D
SP4.
Either way, the time they need to spend to stay on top of these =

issues =3D
on
Windows is time that Mac users spend enjoying their systems without =

=3D
that
worry..and regardless of the reasons...right???
=3D20
=3D20
On 8/31/03 12:29 PM, in article
, "WSZsr"
wrote:
=3D20
And an informed user would use common sense and never have to =

worry =3D
about
viruses, etc - even with a windows PC.
=3D20
"fran paz" wrote in message
Wrong....Macs were never 'rife with viruses.' That's simply =3D

untrue.
However, for folks who value their time, the fact that Mac OS is =

=3D
built on
UNIX now is the best news. My relatives, who otherwise love the =

=3D
Dell that
set up for them, wish they had opted for a Mac at this =3D

point....it's all
about informed choice.
=3D20
=3D20
=3D20
=3D20

=20
=20
Disclaimer
My advice is as-is. It could trash your system.

Old September 1st 03, 11:44 AM
Jack D. Russell, Sr.

By disabling NETBIOS over TCP/IP.

--=20
Jack

"fran paz" wrote in message
Wrong....Macs were never 'rife with viruses.' That's simply =3D
untrue. However, for folks who value their time, the fact that
Mac OS is =3D built on UNIX now is the best news. My relatives, =

who
otherwise love the =3D Dell that I set up for them, wish they had

Old September 1st 03, 03:53 PM
kurttrail

Greg P Rozelle wrote:

David Candy
Without any help from a virus or firewall
How can you configure your computer not to get the blaster virus?

http://www.med.stanford.edu/irt/secu...e-netbios.html

Just in case you want to know how to do it on your own computer, Greg.

--
Peace!
Kurt

Old September 9th 03, 12:12 AM
Steve

"WSZsr" wrote:
And an informed user would use common sense and never have to worry about
viruses, etc - even with a windows PC.

Well, maybe. According to the NY Times: "In July, Roelof Temmingh,
technical director at SensePost Information Security, presented a
paper at a security conference describing an experiment in which a
test virus was sent anonymously via e-mail to 13 members of a bank's
computer security team. Five recipients ran the infected attachment.
"Five members of an IT security team in the financial sector executed
an in-your-face" virus, Mr. Temmingh pointed out..."

Old September 9th 03, 02:11 AM
kurttrail

Steve wrote:

"WSZsr" wrote:
And an informed user would use common sense and never have to worry
about viruses, etc - even with a windows PC.

Well, maybe. According to the NY Times: "In July, Roelof Temmingh,
technical director at SensePost Information Security, presented a
paper at a security conference describing an experiment in which a
test virus was sent anonymously via e-mail to 13 members of a bank's
computer security team. Five recipients ran the infected attachment.
"Five members of an IT security team in the financial sector executed
an in-your-face" virus, Mr. Temmingh pointed out..."

Who said that everyone in IT is "an informed user" & has "common sense?"

Hell, I'm a sucker for the Nigerian scam. Every time I know what it is
before I open it, but I open it up anyway because I just cannot stop
myself from reading the new twists they come up with in their formal
broken English. Somebody adds a new virus onto one of those and even
I'd get it. LOL!