Suggestions for Video Adapter upgrade

Old July 14th 11, 05:23 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Omicron

Default Suggestions for Video Adapter upgrade

Hello all,
I have an HP-Pavilion FK792AA-ABA a6600f, which houses a FOXCONN Napa
HP motherboard.
This MB has four (4) slots:
One PCI
Two PCI ex1
One PCI ex16

I'd like to watch 3D Blueray videos on this machine (and maybe even
play a few of those 3D games).
Can anyone make a few suggestions as to which video card I should
purchase based on the equipment I have?
Price is always an issue but I'd like to hear whatever you folks have
to suggest.

I realize I'll also have to change my DVD player to a blueray player
as well.
The system is running Win7-64 bit with 3GB RAM.

Thank you for any assistance.
Regards.
Old July 14th 11, 09:01 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Ed Light

Of course you'd need an HDCP capable monitor.

Any ATI from the 4550 on up should be able to do it. If you want to have
Dynamic Contrast available, then from the 4650 up.
--
Ed Light

Better World News TV Channel:
http://realnews.com

Iraq Veterans Against the War and Related:
http://ivaw.org
http://couragetoresist.org
http://antiwar.com

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.
Old July 14th 11, 12:00 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Omicron

On Jul 14, 4:01*am, Ed Light wrote:
Of course you'd need an HDCP capable monitor.

Any ATI from the 4550 on up should be able to do it. If you want to have
Dynamic Contrast available, then from the 4650 up.
--
Ed Light

Better World News TV Channel:http://realnews.com

Iraq Veterans Against the War and Related:http://ivaw.orghttp://couragetoresis...://antiwar.com

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Thanks for the reply Ed!
Let me further inquirer if I may?
Suppose I just wanted to WATCH 3D Blueray movies and not play any of
those fancy games at all?
What graphics card would you then recommend, still with keeping the
basic idea of cost being a factor.
Thanks again.
Regards.
Old July 14th 11, 12:15 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Omicron

On Jul 14, 4:01*am, Ed Light wrote:
Of course you'd need an HDCP capable monitor.

Any ATI from the 4550 on up should be able to do it. If you want to have
Dynamic Contrast available, then from the 4650 up.
--
Ed Light

Better World News TV Channel:http://realnews.com

Iraq Veterans Against the War and Related:http://ivaw.orghttp://couragetoresis...://antiwar.com

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Ed,
One further item:
Do I need a HDCP monitor to watch Blueray 3D movies (no games - just
movies) via my computer?
And what about Blueray movies that aren't 3D? Would I still need a
HDCP monitor?
Lastly, I'm running Win7 Pro 64-bit - won't I need some type of
additional software to work in conjunction with the hardware to allow
the viewing of ANY Blueray (3D or otherwise) movie?
Thanks.

Old July 14th 11, 10:48 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Ed Light

On 7/14/2011 4:15 AM, Omicron wrote:

Ed,
One further item:
Do I need a HDCP monitor to watch Blueray 3D movies

Oops - I missed the 3D thing. I know nothing about that at all. For that
I think you'd need a more recent card than the 4xxx series.

And what about Blueray movies that aren't 3D? Would I still need a
HDCP monitor?

If you don't have HDCP, then it should be playable but will display in a
lower resolution than HD. Unless things have changed and they've rigged
it not to play at all.

Lastly, I'm running Win7 Pro 64-bit - won't I need some type of
additional software to work in conjunction with the hardware to allow
the viewing of ANY Blueray (3D or otherwise) movie?

Yes. It may come with the optical reader. Otherwise alot of people use
Cyberlink's player, which is expensive. I'm not up on alternate players
-- still with DVD's.
And of course you'll need the video driver for the card. And to set the
BIOS on the computer, if need be, to boot first from the PCI-E 16 slot
if there's a card in there -- though it's likely already that way.

Hmm - and I think that for 3D Blu-Ray you need a special monitor or TV,
and probably glasses. But I'm really not up on that.

Is there someone out there who knows?

Old July 15th 11, 01:40 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Omicron

On Jul 14, 5:48*pm, Ed Light wrote:
[...]

Thanks for your time and input.
I'm gonna start a new thread and ask the basics.
Funny thing of it is that all this research is for a nephew and not
for me!
Thanks again.
Old July 15th 11, 04:53 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Ed Light

One last thing -- to use the video card's harware acceleration of
Blu-Ray you may have to turn it on in the player's options.