"Operating System Not Found" at boot up on my 200x

Old March 28th 05, 06:13 AM
Piranha

Default "Operating System Not Found" at boot up on my 200x

My 200x notebook is a little over a year old and was very reliable
until now. I have to try 2-3 times to boot it up and find the OS.

At first, I thought it was the CMOS battery, but it was ok. I then
bought a new samsung hardrive and reloaded XP pro. The computer
booted up fine for a few days and then started with the OPERATING
SYSTEM NOT FOUND again!

Also lately I was getting some stop problem shutting the OS down, but
I havent seen it do this for the last few days.

What could be my problem? I'm about ready to throw the damn thing out
the window! I don't want to send it into gateway because it is out of
warrenty.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Old March 28th 05, 08:34 AM
pengulin

If Fastboot is enabled in CMOS, turn it off and see if you have the same
problem. I've seen this problem on a few systems, primarily on cold boots,
where the system tries to boot up before the HD has reached operational
speed.

Old April 2nd 05, 02:49 AM
Readytoexplain

I had the same problem with my Gateway 200X. I finally figured out
that the problem was the ribbon cable that connects the motherboard
with the hard drive. If your laptop is like mine, it has a kink in
the ribbon cable. I would try flatening out the ribbon cable before
you do anything more drastic. See if that works.