Monitor Connection Problems

Old March 2nd 05, 08:27 PM
Steve

Default Monitor Connection Problems

I recently made my own computer after buying all the individual
components but now have a problem with connecting my old monitor! it
turns out that the motherboard i bought doesn't have the right port for
me to connect my monitor to it! does anyone know if there is a
converter cable i can get so i can plug my monitor in to a usb port as
i have looked everywhere for one and cant find one! please let me know
where i can get a converter cable so i can actually see what is
happening on the computer as i havent even been able to test it yet!
thanks

Old March 3rd 05, 01:44 AM
Kolja

You want to connect your monitor to USB port? Never heard of that
before, and as far as I know, it's not possible. All new motherboards
have USB ports, so that's not oyur problem. It may be that your LCD has
digital output, so you'll need DVI (digital video-in) port.
As you said, your motherboard doesn't have "usb port". It can only be
that your motherboard has integrated video card, and it doesn't have
DVI port.
There are DVI-to-VGA converters, if that's your problem...

Old March 3rd 05, 05:39 PM
Steve

my motherboard has plenty of usb ports, the monitor has a vga connector
and the motherboard has 2 com1 ports rather than one com1 and 1 vga
like normal! i need a lead with a vga-in port on one end to connect my
monitor to and a usb or com1 connector on the other end to connect to
my computer!

Old March 4th 05, 05:21 AM
les

If you made your own computer, perhaps you have not plugged in a PCI
videoboard, or AGP board. Is there mention in your MB specs how to
disable onboard video? (either softswitch or jumpers)
I don't know of USB video either. It would be a bad idea, as video bandwidth
would tax the USB port if there was such a beast. Other devices would never
get a chance for timesharing.

Old March 4th 05, 04:16 PM

Could be that the motherboard doesn't have onboard video. Why don't
you post the model and make of the motherboard?

Old March 5th 05, 07:23 PM
Steve

i have an abit nf7 motherboard - it has 2 com1 ports rather than 1 com1
and 1 vga port - vga being the one i need. i have a savage 4 pci
graphics card which i took from my old computer that has the necessary
port to connect my monitor to. all i need is a way to connect my
monitor to what is integrated on the motherboard temporarily so i can
see what i am doing to set up my graphics card from which i can run my
monitor as normal! is there a converter to attach the vga monitor to
the com1 port?

Old March 7th 05, 05:28 PM

Took a look at the NF7 on the Abit site. Looks like no onboard video,
so an adapter won't help you, either.

However, your BIOS should be looking for an installed PCI or AGP card
when it boots. Install you old PCI graphics card, plug in your VGA
monitor, and let us know happens.

Old March 7th 05, 08:36 PM
Steve

i already tried that and it just doesnt do anything - i also tried with
an agp graphics card but that didnt work either.

Old March 7th 05, 10:55 PM

Are you sure the monitor is still working?

You get a totally blank screen (no BIOS info, no opportunity to "press
DEL to enter setup" message?

Usually, when a motherboard does not have onboard video (VGA, DV,
whatever) it is set to look for a graphics adapter in either the AGP or
PCI slots (can be set in BIOS).

Old March 10th 05, 04:03 AM

Steve wrote:
i already tried that and it just doesnt do anything - i also tried

with
an agp graphics card but that didnt work either.

Have you had problems with iiyama VM Pro 454 or 451 monitors? Irish Rover Homebuilt PC's 8 January 8th 05 12:29 AM
Sapphire Radeon 9800SE + Shuttle machine = Problems Jiri Kuukasjärvi General 2 September 12th 04 11:17 AM
Omega Drivers Striker Ati Videocards 14 June 10th 04 02:40 PM
Major Computer Problems Toronto Garage Door Company General 20 November 13th 03 10:41 PM
FX problems. Drivers or hardware? NickNick Nvidia Videocards 6 September 15th 03 12:01 AM