Geforce 460 and DVI question

Old March 31st 11, 09:05 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Seasidepeter

Default Geforce 460 and DVI question

I recently bought and installed a Palit Geforce GTX 460 1Gb - the sonic
platinum edition. While the card powers my Relisys tl795 r-u monitor
brilliantly, neither DVI ports work properly. I get a bright green
background to everything.

I've tried three different DVI cables with the same result.

My monitor worked perfectly well from the DVI port on my previous
Geforce 5600 card.

Before I go through all the hassle of sending the card back - does
anyone have any experience of the problem? Could it be the monitor?
Old March 31st 11, 04:08 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Tom Lake

My monitor worked perfectly well from the DVI port on my previous
Geforce 5600 card.

Before I go through all the hassle of sending the card back - does
anyone have any experience of the problem? Could it be the monitor?

If the monitor worked with your old card, it's not the problem.

Tom L

Old March 31st 11, 05:39 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Foke[_2_]

On Thu, 31 Mar 2011 09:05:51 +0100, Seasidepeter
wrote:

I recently bought and installed a Palit Geforce GTX 460 1Gb - the sonic
platinum edition. While the card powers my Relisys tl795 r-u monitor
brilliantly, neither DVI ports work properly. I get a bright green
background to everything.

I've tried three different DVI cables with the same result.

My monitor worked perfectly well from the DVI port on my previous
Geforce 5600 card.

Before I go through all the hassle of sending the card back - does
anyone have any experience of the problem? Could it be the monitor?

I agree with Tom. It sounds to me like you've narrowed it down to bad DVI
ports on your new vid card.
Old March 31st 11, 07:55 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Seasidepeter

wrote:

I recently bought and installed a Palit Geforce GTX 460 1Gb - the sonic
platinum edition. While the card powers my Relisys tl795 r-u monitor
brilliantly, neither DVI ports work properly. I get a bright green
background to everything.

I've tried three different DVI cables with the same result.

My monitor worked perfectly well from the DVI port on my previous
Geforce 5600 card.

Before I go through all the hassle of sending the card back - does
anyone have any experience of the problem? Could it be the monitor?

I agree with Tom. It sounds to me like you've narrowed it down to bad DVI
ports on your new vid card.

Thanks to both. Damn!
Old March 31st 11, 09:12 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
KCB[_2_]

"Seasidepeter" wrote in message
I recently bought and installed a Palit Geforce GTX 460 1Gb - the sonic
platinum edition. While the card powers my Relisys tl795 r-u monitor
brilliantly, neither DVI ports work properly. I get a bright green
background to everything.

I've tried three different DVI cables with the same result.

My monitor worked perfectly well from the DVI port on my previous Geforce
5600 card.

Before I go through all the hassle of sending the card back - does anyone
have any experience of the problem? Could it be the monitor?

Have you tried updating the card BIOS? I see Palit has one specifically for
your card to fix some compatibility issue.
http://www.palit.biz/main/faq_show.p...ate=vga&id=162

Old March 31st 11, 11:34 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Paul

Seasidepeter wrote:
I recently bought and installed a Palit Geforce GTX 460 1Gb - the sonic
platinum edition. While the card powers my Relisys tl795 r-u monitor
brilliantly, neither DVI ports work properly. I get a bright green
background to everything.

I've tried three different DVI cables with the same result.

My monitor worked perfectly well from the DVI port on my previous
Geforce 5600 card.

Before I go through all the hassle of sending the card back - does
anyone have any experience of the problem? Could it be the monitor?

Someone here may be reporting the same thing - more modern video
card, DVI output, TL795. It would appear, something happens to
the monitor, after it is run via VGA. Then DVI is screwed up afterwards.

http://www.computerhope.com/forum/in...?topic=91451.0

The VGA port apparently still works normally. Weird.

I'd probably start with Moninfo, and see if the EDID still works.
Perhaps the EDID got corrupted ?

http://www.entechtaiwan.com/util/moninfo.shtm

The EDID should work, whether you're connected via VGA or DVI.
Communication with it, is serial, via a couple pins on the cable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EDID

I wouldn't trash the video card just yet.

Paul
Old April 1st 11, 09:42 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Seasidepeter

On 31/03/2011 21:12, KCB wrote:

"Seasidepeter" wrote in message
I recently bought and installed a Palit Geforce GTX 460 1Gb - the
sonic platinum edition. While the card powers my Relisys tl795 r-u
monitor brilliantly, neither DVI ports work properly. I get a bright
green background to everything.

I've tried three different DVI cables with the same result.

My monitor worked perfectly well from the DVI port on my previous
Geforce 5600 card.

Before I go through all the hassle of sending the card back - does
anyone have any experience of the problem? Could it be the monitor?

Have you tried updating the card BIOS? I see Palit has one specifically
for your card to fix some compatibility issue.
http://www.palit.biz/main/faq_show.p...ate=vga&id=162

Thanks for the input - checked the BIOS upgrade and I get "no need to
update your BIOS".

I'm taking the machine to my friendly local repair shop, which has
offered to try the card on different monitors. I'll post any results..
Old April 27th 11, 05:12 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Seasidepeter

On 01/04/2011 09:46, Seasidepeter wrote:
On 31/03/2011 23:34, Paul wrote:
Seasidepeter wrote:
[...]

snip moninfo report

In case it helps anyone else - the problem was the monitor. I now have a
sparky new widescreen running off the DVI, and my trusty old Relisys
woreking as a second monitor from the VGA port.

Actually, I don't know why I haven't done this before...