External drives for Dell Inspiron 531

Old April 12th 09, 07:50 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Allen[_2_]

Default External drives for Dell Inspiron 531

I have a Dell Inspiron 531 with Vista Home Premium, SR1. The motherboard
supports only SATA drives. I have several ATA and PATA drives that I
would like to install in USB remote boxes and access through USB ports.
So far, I have not gotten the system to recognize that any of the drives
is attached to the computer, let alone read them. Would an auxiliary
PATA card with USB ports allow me to access these drives? Also, I would
prefer to get a card that also includes eSATA ports, as I would like to
use SATA drives for backup. Any advice will be more than welcome.
Allen
Old April 13th 09, 01:58 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
pen

Allen wrote:
I have a Dell Inspiron 531 with Vista Home Premium, SR1. The motherboard
supports only SATA drives. I have several ATA and PATA drives that I
would like to install in USB remote boxes and access through USB ports.
So far, I have not gotten the system to recognize that any of the drives
is attached to the computer, let alone read them. Would an auxiliary
PATA card with USB ports allow me to access these drives? Also, I would
prefer to get a card that also includes eSATA ports, as I would like to
use SATA drives for backup. Any advice will be more than welcome.
Allen

I've had the exact same problem and fixed
it by assigning a drive letter. I used Partition Magic,
but Disk Management will do the same thing.
ControlPanel/Administrative Tools/Computer
Management/Storage/DiskManagement
Old April 13th 09, 06:11 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Tom E

"Pen" wrote in message
Allen wrote:
I have a Dell Inspiron 531 with Vista Home Premium, SR1. The motherboard
supports only SATA drives. I have several ATA and PATA drives that I
would like to install in USB remote boxes and access through USB ports.
So far, I have not gotten the system to recognize that any of the drives
is attached to the computer, let alone read them. Would an auxiliary PATA
card with USB ports allow me to access these drives? Also, I would prefer
to get a card that also includes eSATA ports, as I would like to use SATA
drives for backup. Any advice will be more than welcome.
Allen

I've had the exact same problem and fixed
it by assigning a drive letter. I used Partition Magic,
but Disk Management will do the same thing.
ControlPanel/Administrative Tools/Computer
Management/Storage/DiskManagement

and the shortcut is when in Windows Explorer, RMC My Computer.....Manage.

Old April 15th 09, 01:43 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Allen[_2_]

Tom E wrote:
"Pen" wrote in message
Allen wrote:
[...]

Thanks, Pen and Tom E. But I still can't get my machine to know that a
drive is attached. I hate Vista with a passion.
Allen