Can you plug a socket 754 cpu into a socket 940 mobo ?

Old June 14th 04, 06:32 PM
Tim

"We Live for the One we Die for the One" Mr wrote in
message ...

Yep that worked, thats how i got my old Socket 7 cpu into the Pentium
2 board still working to this day

Socket 7 to Slot 1? That's some SUV!

Old June 14th 04, 09:01 PM
Ben Pope

We Live for the One we Die for the One wrote:
Can you plug a socket 754 cpu into a socket 940 mobo ?

No. Since they're different.

A freinds upgrading and he wants to know this.

With questions like that, "he" may need to ask quite a few.

He just wants a pc that will last a bit longer are their any 940 mobos
out ?

Loads. Have been for over a year.

and when you plug or if you can plug a 754 cpu into it will it
be dual channel

The SINGLE channel memory controller is built onto the 754 chip. NO, you
can't plug a chip with 754 pins into a socket with 940 pins. The 940 (and
939) pin chips are dual channel. Hence the extra pin count.

or do only 940 cpus do dual channel any other draw
backs benifits ?

940 and 939 will do Dual Channel. 940 needs registered DIMMS (or is that
buffered, always forget), 939 doesn't.

Ben

Old June 18th 04, 02:53 AM
Frank Jelenko

For as long as this guy's been posting, he doesn't know the answer to this
question?

On the other hand, if he/she doesn't know the answer to this question, how
do they ever get to feel comfortable with the highly opinionated comments
he/she makes from time to time?

= Reasonable chance he/she is looking for attention/trolling for
connections.

Old June 19th 04, 02:00 AM
Michael Brown

johny wrote:
http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/2004...et_939-02.html

According to this article 939pin CPU will fit into the 940 socket, no
it won't boot, but it will fit,

Surprise surprise, THG is wrong again It'll fit, but only if you use a
hammer. Look at the photos of the socket, specifically the keyed pinholed on
the right hand side about 2/3 the way down. See how they're different
between the sockets? Or the ones on the left hand side. Heck, even where it
says "Only one pin different" there two photos clearly showing that there's
not one, but NINE pins different. Inserting a 940 into a 939 will result in
5 bent pins, a 939 into a 940 will result in 4 bent pins.

[...]

--
Michael Brown
www.emboss.co.nz : OOS/RSI software and more