'Chinks' Call Offends Agent

Old August 6th 04, 11:15 PM
Cal Cerise

Default 'Chinks' Call Offends Agent

I got this one from a anonymous source. I do not endorse the use of
the phrase "chinks" but maybe the Agent overreacted. Nonetheless here
it is....
Old August 9th 04, 07:49 AM
Cal Cerise

16:30 New party ('scotty collins') has joined the session
16:30 You have been placed in queue. An advisor will join soon to
assist you. When you choose to finish your chat, please use the EXIT
CHAT button on your right.
16:30 New party ('Han') has joined the session
16:30 Han Hi Scotty.
16:30 Han Welcome to Gateway.com! Home of America's best selling
plasma TV and hot new line of digital cameras! My name is Han, and
I'll be your sales advisor.
16:30 Han How is Illinois today?
16:30 scotty collins hello.
16:30 scotty collins land of lincoln
16:31 scotty collins personally i think jeff davis was a better
leader
16:31 Han
16:31 Han How can I help you today?
16:32 scotty collins the winners write the history books
16:32 scotty collins I write tech pubs
16:32 scotty collins we need more processing power
16:32 scotty collins we are currently running pentium 4s
16:32 scotty collins one has win 2K
16:33 scotty collins the rest are all unix
16:33 Han Okay. I see that your email address ends with .gov Is the
computer for the Government or is this for your home?
16:33 scotty collins need more cpu power
16:33 scotty collins i am an indep contractor
16:33 scotty collins i will write a personal check if thats ok
16:33 scotty collins or can do a bank wire or whatever
16:34 Han That's fine. I can get a quote worked up for you. Will the
computer be in an office?
16:34 scotty collins well, it could go in any number of places
16:35 Han So you are looking for a laptop?
16:35 scotty collins we will ebay the oldest one we have when it
comes in
16:35 scotty collins no, i mean it will go on my desk somewhere or in
the closet
16:36 Han You are losing me Scott. For the new computer, are you
looking for a desktop or laptop?
16:36 scotty collins a 'desktop'
16:36 scotty collins I just bought a new laptop
16:37 Han Thank you. Is this desktop computer for home, work, or
school?
16:37 scotty collins work
16:37 Han Thanks. Will this be on a physical network of 5 or more
computers?
16:37 scotty collins maybe
16:37 Han You are not sure?
16:38 scotty collins maybe 3,4,5,7....I dunno
16:38 scotty collins it varies
16:38 scotty collins there's this new invention, it's called a hub
16:38 Han That means I'll need to make sure you get an operating
system that can be on a network. Okay.
16:38 scotty collins you can plug in less or more
16:38 scotty collins no
16:38 scotty collins you dont
16:39 scotty collins you don't sell operating systems anyway
16:39 Han If there is a physical network you do. Even with a hub or
switch.
16:39 Han Can I give you a call?
16:39 scotty collins no
16:40 Han snip (posts back client's #)
16:40 scotty collins i'm clinically deaf
16:40 scotty collins Meniere's
16:40 scotty collins I had the operation, same as Al Shepherd
16:40 scotty collins same surgeon
16:41 scotty collins unfortunately, it didn't work out
16:41 scotty collins I couldn't walk for a year
16:42 scotty collins I was a pilot, comm, inst, multi
16:42 scotty collins 21 years old with a Master's in EE
16:42 scotty collins i was picked for USAF UPT
16:42 scotty collins then the imbalance hit
16:43 scotty collins but enough about me
16:43 scotty collins can i buy a computer here??
16:46 Han Do you already have a system picked out?
16:46 scotty collins well that's what i wanted to ask
16:47 Han ?
16:47 scotty collins I am looking at the 710
16:47 scotty collins $50 for a floppy??
16:48 Han Yes, for the external.
16:48 scotty collins external?
16:48 Han Yes. That means it would sit outside the computer case.
16:48 scotty collins this is a tower right?
16:49 scotty collins why external?
16:49 Han The 710 does use a tower case, yes.
16:49 scotty collins so why not internal?
16:50 Han External is easier for you to connect than an internal. I
do sell an internal for $29.99 (no shipping/handling, plus IL taxes).
16:50 Han The internal would need to be installed yourself. We don't
offer the option to have it built in at the time of purchase.
16:51 scotty collins it's no big deal, but i thought i was buying a
complete computer
16:51 Han We don't offer a floppy standard on any of our systems
since CDs are taking their place.
16:51 scotty collins see, the thing is i would build my own but being
deaf it's too hard for me to deal with the chinks on maxwell street
16:51 scotty collins my daughter has to go with
16:52 Han Pardon?
16:52 scotty collins oh, sorry, the fine Korean gentlemen
16:52 scotty collins they are nice people
16:52 scotty collins but their english is limited
16:52 scotty collins and I have almost no hearing
16:53 Han Looks like you have pretty good idea what you want. I'll
leave you to our site if you would like to order a system. Enjoy your
evening.
16:53 Party ('Han') has left the session
16:53 Attention! Agent left this chat room. It will be closed soon.
Old August 9th 04, 03:09 PM

Cal Cerise wrote:

snipped

: 16:51 scotty collins see, the thing is i would build my own but being
: deaf it's too hard for me to deal with the chinks on maxwell street
: 16:51 scotty collins my daughter has to go with
: 16:52 Han Pardon?
: 16:52 scotty collins oh, sorry, the fine Korean gentlemen
: 16:52 scotty collins they are nice people
: 16:52 scotty collins but their english is limited

snipped

Actually I don't understand the purpose of your post, except maybe to
troll. This does bring up something interesting for me, since I'm chinese
and have some korean friends. I guess in your post of the above dialog,
scotty is using chinks to imply koreans. To me, chinks applies to
chinese.

I had a conversation some years ago with my korean friends about ethnic slurs
and they would always laugh about being called chinks since it didn't apply
to them. Also during that conversation I came to realize there wasn't really
an ethnic slur that only applied to koreans.