Mix SAS and SATA drives?

Old August 4th 18, 07:13 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Percival P. Cassidy

Default Mix SAS and SATA drives?

This is now an academic question, since the SAS drive that seemed to be
about the same price as a same-size SATA one appears to be a refurb. But
maybe the answer will be useful later.

Is there any disadvantage in mixing SAS and SATA drives on an SAS
controller? My FreeNAS machine has all SATA drives connected to the
onboard SAS controller, but if an SAS drive (typically with a longer
warranty) did become available at a good price (I need a drive to keep
as a spare), would using it alongside the SATA drives cause a problem?

Perce