Frank Jr's restore

Old December 7th 12, 06:26 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Frank

Default Frank Jr's restore

Just saw this on his Facebook:

Dad's 6 year old PC had a virus & was inoperable...Three hours later,
its a system restore to factory settings , patch updates, and it runs
like a dog.....New Computer ? Another restore ? Ubuntu to the
rescue....30 minutes later a perfectly fine running desktop running free
Linux...taking down the evil empire 1 PC at a time...

Can I live with Linux?

Thunderbird and Firefox will probably be OK but what if I need to run
others like Turbotax?

Any thoughts?
Old December 8th 12, 10:08 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
BillW50

On 12/7/2012 11:26 AM, Frank wrote:

Just saw this on his Facebook:

Dad's 6 year old PC had a virus & was inoperable...Three hours later,
its a system restore to factory settings , patch updates, and it runs
like a dog.....New Computer ? Another restore ? Ubuntu to the
rescue....30 minutes later a perfectly fine running desktop running free
Linux...taking down the evil empire 1 PC at a time...

Can I live with Linux?

Thunderbird and Firefox will probably be OK but what if I need to run
others like Turbotax?

Any thoughts?

My mentors said in the 70's, to pick the applications that you want to
run and then pick the OS that will run them. And for me at Least, Linux
just doesn't have the applications that I want to run. I do have Linux a
couple of spare computers. Although they don't do much for me except
email, newsgroups, and web browsing.

--
Bill
Gateway M465e ('06 era) - Thunderbird v12.0.1
Old December 8th 12, 02:35 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Frank

On 12/8/2012 4:08 AM, BillW50 wrote:
[...]

Have not had detailed discussion with my son yet but he told Mom that my
MS Vista was bloated with tasks and was the problem. I had bought it
with only 1 gig memory and it was slow and I added 2 gigs more.

I'm probably going to sideline the old GW and get new, not sure what
brand. Carbonite has already told me that I cannot restore my files to
a different OS and I was going to drop them when my subscription runs
out in the end of January to use CDS's and a backup plug in hard drive
but that may only work with Windows too.

I also discovered with wife's Toshiba lap top I'm using that internet
connection speed test gave 3X speed of old GW.

I appreciate your advice.
Old December 9th 12, 09:09 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Ken Whiton

*-* On Fri, 07 Dec 2012, at 12:26:21 -0500,
*-* In Article ,
*-* Frank wrote
*-* About Frank Jr's restore

Just saw this on his Facebook:

Dad's 6 year old PC had a virus & was inoperable...Three hours
later, its a system restore to factory settings , patch updates, and
it runs like a dog.....New Computer ? Another restore ? Ubuntu to
the rescue....30 minutes later a perfectly fine running desktop
running free Linux...taking down the evil empire 1 PC at a time...

Can I live with Linux?

Thunderbird and Firefox will probably be OK but what if I need to
run others like Turbotax?

Any thoughts?

You might take a look at Wine, which enables most Windows
programs to run under Linux.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wine_%28software%29
http://www.winehq.org/

Ken Whiton
--
FIDO: 1:132/152
InterNet: L (remove the obvious to reply)
Old December 10th 12, 09:51 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Frank

On 12/9/2012 3:09 AM, Ken Whiton wrote:
[...]

Decided to just get a new GW.
Linux converted machine would not go on line through wifi or new wifi
card from son. He had got it up on ethernet connection and while two
machine in house are wired, this one is remote from modem. Vendor says
backup drive I bought to supplant Carbonite will not work with Linux.
Just too many hoops to jump through to use Linux.
Besides old GW is 6 years old which is probably 100 in computer years.
New with Windows 8 comes with 6 gigs of ram expandable to 32 and
terabyte HD which at my age, may last for life

Why mommy Measekite & father Frank are always fighting [email protected] Printers 4 July 17th 08 10:54 AM
Lost in love - deciding on who to love - wanting Frank, however desiring Measekite [email protected] Printers 29 July 24th 07 03:07 PM
Frank the Revolutionary Frank Arthur Printers 6 May 23rd 07 10:12 AM
measekite and frank Henri Printers 54 July 14th 05 10:21 AM
ping - frank NortHWateR Xtreme PC Cooling General 0 June 22nd 05 01:51 AM