Old MA7 - NX510X - BIOS battery?

Old May 2nd 11, 05:16 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Justin[_14_]

Default Old MA7 - NX510X - BIOS battery?

I have an old MA7 laptop, and it keeps losing the bios information. I'm
guessing the CMOS battery is toast. Before I sell it on eBay I'd like
to replace it. What kind of battery do I need?
Old May 3rd 11, 12:40 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
BillW50

In ,
Justin wrote:
I have an old MA7 laptop, and it keeps losing the bios information.
I'm guessing the CMOS battery is toast. Before I sell it on eBay I'd
like to replace it. What kind of battery do I need?

It is probably under the keyboard. Here is how to remove the keyboard.

http://global-download.gateway.com/G...EBOOK&Step2=NX
SERIES&Step3=NX510&OS=ALL&LC=en&BC=GATEWAY&SC=PA_6 G

Or this one:

http://support.gateway.com/us/en/pro...1&modelId=3182

Either manual tells you how to remove the keyboard. Sorry I could not
find the part number. And what is nice about all of these Gateways MA1
through MA7 is that a lot of parts can be shared between them. And the
CMOS battery is probably the same among them all.

Say did you try charging the CMOS battery first? Most laptops (I don't
know about these), you need to have the laptop up and running. And after
12 to 24 hours later, see if the CMOS battery is now holding a charge.
If it is, you are good to go.

Some old Toshiba laptops at least (I don't know about others), you had
to have the screen lit before the CMOS battery would charge. So if the
screen was turned off and the computer was still running, the CMOS
battery will not be charged. So disable turning off the screen under the
power options.

--
Bill
Centrino Core Duo 1.83G - 2GB - Windows XP SP3

Old May 4th 11, 05:59 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Justin[_14_]

On 5/3/11 7:40 AM, BillW50 wrote:
In ,
Justin wrote:
I have an old MA7 laptop, and it keeps losing the bios information.
I'm guessing the CMOS battery is toast. Before I sell it on eBay I'd
like to replace it. What kind of battery do I need?

It is probably under the keyboard. Here is how to remove the keyboard.

http://global-download.gateway.com/G...EBOOK&Step2=NX
SERIES&Step3=NX510&OS=ALL&LC=en&BC=GATEWAY&SC=PA_6 G

Or this one:

http://support.gateway.com/us/en/pro...1&modelId=3182

Thanks, I'll check that out.

Either manual tells you how to remove the keyboard. Sorry I could not
find the part number. And what is nice about all of these Gateways MA1
through MA7 is that a lot of parts can be shared between them. And the
CMOS battery is probably the same among them all.

Say did you try charging the CMOS battery first? Most laptops (I don't
know about these), you need to have the laptop up and running. And after
12 to 24 hours later, see if the CMOS battery is now holding a charge.
If it is, you are good to go.

I had the laptop sitting around for about four months, unplugged and
completely dead. Then I had it plugged in for a few days as I was
trying to diagnose it.