Socket LGA-1155k: all the same?

Old March 5th 18, 05:40 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
(PeteCresswell)

Default Socket LGA-1155k: all the same?

Family member has an HP 8200
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

which, as far as I can figure, has an Intel Core i5-2400 socket LGA-1155 CPU
in it.

Both mobo and power supply appear to have bitten the big one.

Tried a replacement power supply and, sure enough, the tortured noises coming
out of the PS went away.... but the box still will not boot up and there is
nothing coming out of the video port.... so I figure the mobo is history.

I want to build up a replacement that does not contain a lot of proprietary
parts (like the power supply on the HP) - yet leverages the CPU and DDR3
memory from the HP box.

Got an ATX case and a few power supplies laying around.

Am assuming the DDR3 memory and CPU on the HP are still good.

The Question:

Is "Socket LGA-1155" all I need to know when shopping for a Gigabyte mobo to
use that CPU?

Or am I about to shoot myself in the foot buying a mobo and then finding out
that there is some variation on flavor of LGA-1155/Intel Core i5-2400 that
makes it incompatible?

--
Pete Cresswell
Old March 5th 18, 07:55 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Paul in Houston TX[_2_]

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
[...]

G/A website lists cpu vs. motherboard compatibility.
This is the page for i5, 2400, z77 chipset:
http://www.gigabyte.us/Ajax/SupportF...7&Type=Chipest

Old March 5th 18, 11:26 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
(PeteCresswell)

Per Paul in Houston TX:
This is the page for i5, 2400, z77 chipset:
http://www.gigabyte.us/Ajax/SupportF...7&Type=Chipest

Wow!... over 25 to choose from.

Is there any rhyme or reason to the names that would let one zero in on a
minimal (i.e. for somebody who just does Internet browsing, email, and MS
Office documents) board?
--
Pete Cresswell
Old March 6th 18, 12:31 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Paul in Houston TX[_2_]

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Paul in Houston TX:
This is the page for i5, 2400, z77 chipset:
http://www.gigabyte.us/Ajax/SupportF...7&Type=Chipest

Wow!... over 25 to choose from.

Is there any rhyme or reason to the names that would let one zero in on a
minimal (i.e. for somebody who just does Internet browsing, email, and MS
Office documents) board?

Most of those boards will be unavailable (obsolete).
Copy the board ID and start plugging into Google, NewEgg, Amazon, Ebay, etc.
It took me over a month of research and comparisons to settle on the Z270X-GAMING 7
in this machine.