Random Shutdowns

Old July 12th 04, 02:10 AM
matthew

Default Random Shutdowns

I Built my computer a couple of months ago, hoping to overclock it. So
I bought an Asus A7V8X-X and an OEM AMD 2200+. I reallize that cooling
is very important so I went with a Thermaltake Volcano 11 since it
claims to cool up to 3200+. I thought I might get away with a couple
hundred more mHz from my CPU, but when I turned it on, with it running
at its normal clock speed (1.8GHz) it didn't get any further than the
windows start screen, when It shutdown. I thought that it was just the
placement of the pc, so I moved it out in the open more, and it still
did the same thing. I didn't think anything of it, just clocked it to
1.39 GHz and it idle's around 50c. I was then reading some reviews
recently of the fan and I reallized that this isn't right, it should
be able to handle more than this. Could it be that it's an oem
proccessor? Did I do something wrong with the thermal grease? I spread
a very thin layer. Also, I have five other fans in the case. What
could be the problem?
Old July 14th 04, 02:10 AM
EA

can you check the cpu temp from within the bios?

It could certainly be power supply related (too weak)
or just bad. Also could be anything along the power
trail (mobo - power supply - surge protector - wall outlet - room circuit).

I recently had the same problem, during a step by step confirmation
boot it would go no further than loading msmouse.vxd
moved the system to a differnt outlet and booted fine.
Came to realize the power strip was the culprit (it was old).

om...

Old July 15th 04, 10:24 PM
matthew

The power supply is new, antec 400 watts, I figured it to be enough,
let me try the surge protector, because this one is old. Thanks a lot
by the way!
"EA" wrote in message news:VJ%Ic.83051$XM6.68216@attbi_s53...
can you check the cpu temp from within the bios?

It could certainly be power supply related (too weak)
or just bad. Also could be anything along the power
trail (mobo - power supply - surge protector - wall outlet - room circuit).

I recently had the same problem, during a step by step confirmation
boot it would go no further than loading msmouse.vxd
moved the system to a differnt outlet and booted fine.
Came to realize the power strip was the culprit (it was old).

"matthew" wrote in message
om...
[...]

p4c800-e deluxe random shutdowns Tuta Asus Motherboards 10 February 23rd 04 07:25 PM
Random shutdowns Brian General 8 February 7th 04 11:38 PM
IC7-MAX3 - P4 2.6 - Hyperthread cause PC to random reboot SpeedyGonzales Overclocking 1 November 18th 03 12:43 AM
Random hangs on KT133 and KT333 with raid kony General 5 September 15th 03 09:46 AM
Random Crashes Jeff OTF Asus Motherboards 1 July 19th 03 03:56 AM