Burning Software Question

Old November 11th 03, 04:34 PM
Dan

Default Burning Software Question

My son just bought a new computer that has Record Now installed as the
burning software. I don't know anything about this product. Is it any good?
If he buys Nero 6 will he have any problems with both of them installed on
the same system?
Does anybody here use Record Now?
Thanks for all your help.
Dan

Old November 11th 03, 07:44 PM
Mike Richter

Dan wrote:
My son just bought a new computer that has Record Now installed as the
burning software. I don't know anything about this product. Is it any good?
If he buys Nero 6 will he have any problems with both of them installed on
the same system?
Does anybody here use Record Now?
Thanks for all your help.

My recommendation remains what it has been for a half dozen years or
more. Use what came with the system until you (or he) has control of the
process. If there are problems, the seller of the system is obligated to
help you resolve them.

Once you have control, if the software appears too limited, try another
program either in addition or as a replacement.

The learning process is substantial for CD recording, particularly if
one wants to get the best results. To help those with that task, I've
assembled a primer at my WWW site which has been well received. There is
vital information as well in the CD-R FAQ.

Mike
--

http://www.mrichter.com/

Old November 11th 03, 08:36 PM
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...mindspring.com
(Messages 10, 12 -- 34, 54 -- 69)

( No pipsqueaks have been able to prove ANY of the above is a libel )
( -- despite Mikey's supposed to have examples of misquotes! )

Dan wrote:

My son just bought a new computer that has Record Now installed as the
burning software. I don't know anything about this product. Is it any good?
If he buys Nero 6 will he have any problems with both of them installed on
the same system?
Does anybody here use Record Now?

RecordNow is based on Prassi burn engine. Many use it and its cousins:
Prassi Primo, Sony CD Extreme, Veritas (HP) MyCD and Click'N Burn. Have
him learn the program for a couple of months, and then get Nero.
RecordNow and Nero coexist happily.

The most readable, compact faq:
http://users.forthnet.gr/ath/axatis/FAQs/CDR/
Old November 12th 03, 02:58 AM
Dino

A wrote:

"Dan" wrote in :

My son just bought a new computer that has Record Now installed as the
burning software. I don't know anything about this product. Is it any
good? If he buys Nero 6 will he have any problems with both of them
installed on the same system?

Presumably your son bought a Dell. It is fair to assume that the program
will work well for basic burning of data and audio cd's. However, the
version that comes standard with a Dell will not burn video cd's or multi-
session cd's, which he may or may not want to do. If he does, he'll either
have to upgrade to the deluxe version or use a different software (e.g.
Nero). RecordNow is a less commonly used program than EZCD Creator and
Nero--as to its quality I don't know.

In general it is best to uninstall one burning program before installing
another, but you may be able to run both with no problem.

I have Nero6x,Alcohol120,Burnatonce,CloneCD,Clonyxxxl,NTI 2000
Deluxe,Feurio,EasyCDCreator(label maker only)all installed on WinXPSP1
all updates and it works fine.What I don't have on the system is any
packet writing software as this is usually a source of problems.XP on
board writing software is disabled.I also have had CDMate
trial,blindwrite trial on without problems before.
Old November 12th 03, 10:51 AM
Lionel Carter

"Dan" wrote in message ...
My son just bought a new computer that has Record Now installed as the
burning software. I don't know anything about this product. Is it any

good?
If he buys Nero 6 will he have any problems with both of them installed on
the same system?
Does anybody here use Record Now?
Thanks for all your help.
Dan

I have Nero 5.something and DaviDeo2 installed on my ME machine. Both seem
to coexist quite happily.

I've found that all my 'coasters' previously created by Nero were usable on
DaviDeo2. Even to the point of quick erasing them using DaviDeo2 and then
burning them using Nero.

Coasters were created in Nero because Nero occasionally gave a timeout error
and then said disk would be unreadable, then froze the PC. Sure enough it
subsequently didn't recognise the existence of the disk in the drive. I've
traced one cause down to the file names being too long. Renaming to shorter
names cured that problem.

It seems to me that there is a tendency to blame the pc and os when it is
sloppy programming. My advice would be to give Record Now a thorough testing
under all the options. It might do everything you want. In doing this you
will also get to understand the process of burning different types of files
and formats better. This will stand you in good stead when you are reading
the claims on the packaging of alternative products. Many packages offer
options that you can do in any case with your basic pc, i.e. you can copy
DVD tracks onto your hard drive by simply copying and pasting.

Lionel Carter

Old November 12th 03, 07:10 PM
Dan

Thanks to everyone for your help. His new computer is a HP. He will try
Record Now for a while and see how it works out. Thanks again