Monitor Screen loses Some Color and Color Appears to Shift

Old September 21st 08, 05:38 PM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom

Default Monitor Screen loses Some Color and Color Appears to Shift

Hi, I've got a Sony CRT 21" monitor and Dell SX270 w/ digital out for video
to a digital/analog converter to the analog cable on the Sony monitor. .
Lately, the video has been displaying images that have a reddish tint and
the colors are somewhat smeared. I've run across this problem before on
other PCs and was able to fix the problem by disconnecting the video cable
than reconnecting them. Occasionally, the PC will start up displaying the
correct colors then revert to the smeared colors. Any idea what's causing
the problem and what I can do to fix it?

Tom

Old September 21st 08, 05:42 PM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom

"Tom" wrote in message ...
Hi, I've got a Sony CRT 21" monitor and Dell SX270 w/ digital out for
video to a digital/analog converter to the analog cable on the Sony
monitor. . Lately, the video has been displaying images that have a
reddish tint and the colors are somewhat smeared. I've run across this
problem before on other PCs and was able to fix the problem by
disconnecting the video cable than reconnecting them. Occasionally, the
PC will start up displaying the correct colors then revert to the smeared
colors. Any idea what's causing the problem and what I can do to fix it?

Tom

Failed to mention the OS is XP PRo sp3

Old September 21st 08, 06:01 PM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis[_3_]

"Tom" wrote in message ...

"Tom" wrote in message
Hi, I've got a Sony CRT 21" monitor and Dell SX270 w/ digital out for
video to a digital/analog converter to the analog cable on the Sony
monitor. . Lately, the video has been displaying images that have a
reddish tint and the colors are somewhat smeared. I've run across this
problem before on other PCs and was able to fix the problem by
disconnecting the video cable than reconnecting them. Occasionally,
the PC will start up displaying the correct colors then revert to the
smeared colors. Any idea what's causing the problem and what I can do to
fix it?

Tom

Failed to mention the OS is XP PRo sp3

How old is the Trintron? They are known to die in such colorful ways. I've
seen several of the 17" models display a reddish tint within Windows on
their way to failure.

My 19" Trinitron (IBM) began to "fade" around the edges at desktop along
with eventually displaying diagonal "pinstripes" visible both at the Windows
XP splash screen and also less so (but still lightly visible) at desktop.

If the monitor is older than 3 years old, it might be signalling its
ultimate exit.

Have you swapped with a different monitor by any chance?

Stew

Old September 21st 08, 06:55 PM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Buffalo[_2_]

Tom wrote:
Hi, I've got a Sony CRT 21" monitor and Dell SX270 w/ digital out for
video to a digital/analog converter to the analog cable on the Sony
monitor. . Lately, the video has been displaying images that have a
reddish tint and the colors are somewhat smeared. I've run across
this problem before on other PCs and was able to fix the problem by
disconnecting the video cable than reconnecting them.
Occasionally, the PC will start up displaying the correct colors then
revert to the smeared colors. Any idea what's causing the problem
and what I can do to fix it?

Tom

You could try installing the latest vid drivers from Dell.
When the colors are smearing, try giving the monitor a sharp rap. If it
changes the picture, it is probably your monitor.
You could also try the de-gaussing button on the monitor.
I am just guessing with the above suggestions.

Old September 21st 08, 10:35 PM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
thanatoid

"Tom" wrote in
:

Hi, I've got a Sony CRT 21" monitor and Dell SX270 w/
digital out for video to a digital/analog converter to the
analog cable on the Sony monitor. . Lately, the video has
been displaying images that have a reddish tint and the
colors are somewhat smeared. I've run across this problem
before on other PCs and was able to fix the problem by
disconnecting the video cable than reconnecting them.
Occasionally, the PC will start up displaying the correct
colors then revert to the smeared colors. Any idea what's
causing the problem and what I can do to fix it?

Tom

I have an 11 year old Sony Multiscan 100sx. Over the years it
had a few minor problems which lasted a few weeks and "went
away". Sony magic.

It is now having a more serious problem which I will have to
have fixed although it also, strangely, appears to be decreasing
in frequency and "intensity". It is similar to yours, and it is
intermittent.

I was told by a technician there is a small PCB right behind the
Trinitron tube which controls the three RGB colors and that the
capacitors on it sometimes start going bad. You can tell by
bulging of the top of the tube-shaped capacitors or by outright
obvious signs of problems (leaking goo etc.). Poor solder points
may also be deteriorating - very easily fixed.

When the image is OK, is it as good as it was 11 years ago. I
hate LCD's.

While I am not afraid of fixing a lamp, I do not feel like
opening up a TV/monitor. But I am reasonably sure I can have
this problem fixed.

You can also Google for "CRT monitor color shift repair problem"
or some such combination. There are lots of repair advice sites.

If you can find a Trini built in the last few years before those
idiots stopped making them, GET ONE. Take advantage of all the
morons switching to the LCD ****. I saw a widescreen (!) Trini
for about $300 a year or so ago (it was about $2,500 when it
came out). A high-end Trinitron /should/ last forever (mine is a
very basic model and it has lasted 11 years of 5-10 hrs. of
daily use).

--
Those who cast the votes decide nothing. Those who count the
votes decide everything.
Old September 23rd 08, 02:42 AM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom

"S.Lewis" wrote in message
.. .

"Tom" wrote in message

How old is the Trintron? They are known to die in such colorful ways.
I've seen several of the 17" models display a reddish tint within Windows
on their way to failure.

My 19" Trinitron (IBM) began to "fade" around the edges at desktop along
with eventually displaying diagonal "pinstripes" visible both at the
Windows XP splash screen and also less so (but still lightly visible) at
desktop.

If the monitor is older than 3 years old, it might be signalling its
ultimate exit.

Have you swapped with a different monitor by any chance?

Stew

It's abput ten years op0ld. I haven't swapped it w/ another because I only
have this one.

Old September 23rd 08, 02:44 AM posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom

"thanatoid" wrote in message
"Tom" wrote in
:

[...]

Mine started out intermittently and has become chronic.

[...]

I'll buy a nice new LCD.

Old September 23rd 08, 05:41 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

TEN years old? That monitor owes you nothing! You got good mileage out of a
quality brand-name product. Stick with another good brand name, not like most
of the junque sold in Best Buy and Circuit City... Ben Myers

On Mon, 22 Sep 2008 21:42:36 -0400, "Tom" wrote:

"S.Lewis" wrote in message
. ..

Old September 23rd 08, 11:45 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis[_3_]

"Ben Myers" wrote in message
TEN years old? That monitor owes you nothing! You got good mileage out
of a
quality brand-name product. Stick with another good brand name, not like
most
of the junque sold in Best Buy and Circuit City... Ben Myers

Agreed. My 19" began to fizzle after about 6 years of nearly continual use.

Old September 25th 08, 12:17 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom

"Ben Myers" wrote in message
TEN years old? That monitor owes you nothing! You got good mileage out
of a
quality brand-name product. Stick with another good brand name, not like
most
of the junque sold in Best Buy and Circuit City... Ben Myers

I'm not complaining just need to get more mileage until I get a new one.
Also, I've seen the same problems on LCD monitors that was fixed by
reseating the cable connections or replacing the monitor cables.

Tom

Mirror Screen Color to Print Color [email protected] Printers 0 January 20th 06 08:11 PM
ATI color shift Zach Dell Computers 5 January 20th 06 06:04 PM
AIO color & BW print, color & BW copy, pcfax, color scan A. L. Shaw, MD Printers 2 January 14th 06 04:44 AM
Color shift of images printed by an Epson Photo 960 Don Pyeatt Printers 8 April 16th 05 02:51 AM
Matrox G400 loses color, suggestion? [email protected] Matrox Videocards 6 July 3rd 03 09:49 PM