Midrange storage - EMC, Network Appliance, HP

Old December 16th 06, 11:14 AM posted to comp.arch.storage
RGS

Default Midrange storage - EMC, Network Appliance, HP

I'm looking at several mid-range storage products and am interested in
anecdotal experience that people in this group may have had with these
products. This storage will provide storage for email (unix mail app),
database (oracle), vmware, and file serving applications. Our
implementation will have two arrays - a primary and a DR array and
we'll be using snapshotting and mirroring software to provide various
levels of data replication between the two arrays - some synchronous
and some asynchronous. We have around 6TB of DAS storage that will
move to these arrays. Projections are for our storage needs to top out
around 20TB spread between the two arrays - the DR would host some
tape-recoverable data.

Here are the products under consideration:

EMC CX3-20
HP EVA4000 w/DL 380G5 storage servers for file sharing & iscsi
Network Appliance FAS3020

I'd appreciate any thoughts on the good, bad, and ugly features of
these product lines.

Thanks.

Old December 28th 06, 02:52 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
Van

RGS wrote:

[...]

Here are the products under consideration:

EMC CX3-20
HP EVA4000 w/DL 380G5 storage servers for file sharing & iscsi
Network Appliance FAS3020

I'd appreciate any thoughts on the good, bad, and ugly features of
these product lines.

Thanks.

We had a look on exactly the same products and chose NetApp.
1 month after going live with the 3020 we would take the same decision.
We run Oracle over NFS, file services over CIFS and NFS and
our Exchange Server over iSCSI.
No problems so far and with better performance than before.

Van
Old December 29th 06, 01:59 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
PAUL LEEBER

RGS Wrote:
[...]

I know alot about the cx3-20 If you would like to call me I would be
happy to discuss
I can also get you some comparisons of the 3 products if you like
781 982 9664 paul leeber I should be here until about 2:00 today
and in all next week after the 1st

--
PAUL LEEBER
Old December 30th 06, 03:47 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
jls

On 16 Dec 2006 03:14:48 -0800, "RGS" wrote:

[...]

I can't speak for the non-hp storage. However, imho the
administration of the EVA is so simple, and the ability to manage
performance so easy, that it makes life much better for admin. tasks.

I've written in here previously on how it saves effort.