Add memory?

Old November 4th 12, 04:12 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Puddin' Man

Default Add memory?

I currently have:
Ordered/installed 05-2010:
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model
F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL
http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=222

Frys has:
DDR3 4GB (2X2GB) 1333MHz LLK DUAL Channel Kit Patriot PVV34G1333LLK
Mfr: Patriot Model: PVV34G1333LLK
FRYS.com #6027398 UPC: 879699009133
Patriot Viper II Sector 5 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop
Memory Model PVV34G1333LLK
4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1333 Desktop Memory for $9.99 (After $15 MIR) + $2.99 Shipping

What implications (if any) are involved in adding Frys 4gb Patriot modules to
my Asus P7H55D-M EVO board?

Thx,

Old November 4th 12, 09:51 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

Puddin' Man wrote:
I currently have:
Ordered/installed 05-2010:
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model
F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL
http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=222

Frys has:
DDR3 4GB (2X2GB) 1333MHz LLK DUAL Channel Kit Patriot PVV34G1333LLK
Mfr: Patriot Model: PVV34G1333LLK
FRYS.com #6027398 UPC: 879699009133
Patriot Viper II Sector 5 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop
Memory Model PVV34G1333LLK
4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1333 Desktop Memory for $9.99 (After $15 MIR) + $2.99 Shipping

What implications (if any) are involved in adding Frys 4gb Patriot modules to
my Asus P7H55D-M EVO board?

Thx,

What OS is being used ? Is it 32 bit or 64 bit ?

I assume you know you need a 64 bit OS, to break the Windows 4GB memory license.

http://www.geoffchappell.com/notes/w...nse/memory.htm

Also, I want to double check your configuration. The motherboard
has four slots. You currently have 1x4GB module or 2x4GB modules ?

http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggIma...131-625-04.jpg

Intel Flex memory allows supporting a 1x4GB + 2x2GB configuration
if you want. You put the 1x4GB module on one channel, and the 2x2GB
sticks on the other channel. The total memory on both channels
is matched. The system total is 8GB, suitable for a 64 bit OS to use.

(Since Intel put the memory interface on the processor, I no longer
have access to definitive memory controller feature set information.
I have to use generic pages like the following one, and assume the
Intel Flex feature present on previous chipsets, has been copied
into the processor designs. I don't know this for a fact, but
assume the feature was copied. Flex memory config, is for
handling odd-ball DIMM combinations.)

http://www.intel.com/support/motherb.../CS-011965.htm

The memory will be operated at the slowest speed of the assembled
collection of DIMMs. Faster DIMMs can be operated at a slower speed,
so the speed is not fixed.

Implications - doing whatever is required, to maintain dual channel
operating conditions... Matches pairs are best, when information lacks.

Paul
Old November 4th 12, 05:36 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Puddin' Man

On Sun, 04 Nov 2012 04:51:35 -0500, Paul wrote:

What OS is being used ? Is it 32 bit or 64 bit ?

I should've mentioned: Win7 HP-64 and XP in dual-boot.

I assume you know you need a 64 bit OS, to break the Windows 4GB memory license.

http://www.geoffchappell.com/notes/w...nse/memory.htm

I know, I know. I use mostly XP, don't like 7, but, for what? $13
I feel the desktop will be better balanced with 8gb total. The
64 bit OS is there for me to run whenever I choose.

Also, I want to double check your configuration. The motherboard
has four slots. You currently have 1x4GB module or 2x4GB modules ?

Neither. 2x2GB modules comprising 4gb. and occupying only 2 slots.

http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggIma...131-625-04.jpg

Intel Flex memory allows supporting a 1x4GB + 2x2GB configuration
if you want. You put the 1x4GB module on one channel, and the 2x2GB
sticks on the other channel. The total memory on both channels
is matched. The system total is 8GB, suitable for a 64 bit OS to use.

You were good enough to point this out to me many months ago.

(Since Intel put the memory interface on the processor, I no longer
have access to definitive memory controller feature set information.
I have to use generic pages like the following one, and assume the
Intel Flex feature present on previous chipsets, has been copied
into the processor designs. I don't know this for a fact, but
assume the feature was copied.

A most reasonable assumption, methinks.

Flex memory config, is for
handling odd-ball DIMM combinations.)

http://www.intel.com/support/motherb.../CS-011965.htm

The memory will be operated at the slowest speed of the assembled
collection of DIMMs. Faster DIMMs can be operated at a slower speed,
so the speed is not fixed.

That's part of what I was trying to get at.

http://www.frys.com/product/6027398

My old Ripjaws memory: Speed DDR3-1600 (PC3 12800)
The prospective Patriot stuff: Speed DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)

Assuming that all 4 dimm slots are populated with balanced 2gb modules,
the resultant 8gb aggregate would run (dual channel) at the reduced speed of
the Patriot cheapo, DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666). Right?

Implications - doing whatever is required, to maintain dual channel
operating conditions... Matches pairs are best, when information lacks.

I don't think there are any balance etc questions, but I don't know if
it's such a good idea to constrain my speed of memory. Perhaps I should
wait for similar prices on DDR3-1600 (PC3 12800) or faster mem.

Thx,

Old November 4th 12, 06:13 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

Puddin' Man wrote:
[...]

2x2GB DDR3 1333 + 2x2GB DDR3 1600 = 8GB total running at DDR3-1333.

And running in dual channel mode.

I don't expect a problem these days. There were some cranky S939 boards
many moons ago, but those were fixed by BIOS updates. For the most
part, the BIOS does a good job of figuring the stuff out.

2x2GB + 2x2GB, in the nice colored slots, should be a breeze to
get running.

Paul