Using cabs files to make an installation CD

Old September 8th 03, 02:44 AM
KILOWATT

Default Using cabs files to make an installation CD

Hi everyones. Thanks to read. I need to replace the motherboard
in my IBM Aptiva (1999) that is getting sick, but since it's a microATX format...
i will probably have trouble finding a motherboard that fits since most
now are ATX. The actual power supply doesn't even deliver 150Watts
so replacing this very small unit with one with suitable ratings will probably
be a real headhache. But now to go to the point, my actual Windows98
installation is from a damned recovery CD that contains an image of the
original factory pre-install. I don't have THE Windows98 CD. Since the
recovery CD doesn't contains only Windows,but all the drivers and the
programs for the actual computer, i guess it won't be a very good idea to
use such CD on another machine (or this one after the motherboard upgrade).
IBM in the computer's manual explicitly say that the CD can only be used on the
Aptiva machine.

I've heard that in the windows\options\cabs directory theres a
fresh original copy of Windows there. By burning to a CD the content of this
directory, i should be able to install Windows from scratch.
But by exploring the cabs directory, i can find many files specific for my computer
that should probably not be burned on CD. For example i have files related to ATI
(the integrated video chipset), ess solo (the integrated audio chipset)...i don't think
that thoses files are needed. At the following link, there's a snapshot of all the files that
are in this cabs directory. By looking at it, anyone can tell me wich files are really
redundant and wich are not, to install a fresh copy of Windows? TIA

--
Alain(alias:Kilowatt)
Montréal Québec

Old September 8th 03, 06:10 AM
Phrederik

I've heard that in the windows\options\cabs directory theres a
fresh original copy of Windows there. By burning to a CD the content of

this
directory, i should be able to install Windows from scratch.

Nope... It has the CABs, but no SETUP files. It's only useful when you would
normally insert the Windows CD to copy system files when making changes to
an existing Windows installation.

It sounds like you may need to purchase another copy of Windows. Kinda
silly, but the copy you have is licensed specifically for your PC. You MIGHT
be able to convince Microsoft to send you another if you call and claim that
yours is damaged. As long as you have that green certificate and CD key it
should verify that you have a CD.

Old September 8th 03, 10:11 PM
KILOWATT

Hi Phrederik. Yes the setup file if there...look again. If i click it,
the Windows installation scan my disks then if i want to, i could
continue with the installation.
Someone from another ng sent this usefull URL. Seems promising!
http://www.easydesksoftware.com/recovery.htm

--
Alain(alias:Kilowatt)
Montréal Québec
PS: 1000 excuses for errors or omissions,
i'm a "pure" french canadian! :-)
Come to visit me at: http://kilowatt.camarades.com
(If replying also by e-mail, remove
"no spam" from the adress.)

ATI 9800 Pro installation woes - please help Hope General 2 September 2nd 03 05:38 AM
Swap files Neogenesis General 15 June 28th 03 03:48 PM
How do I manage to start up with Win XP installation CD from scratch? M Shafaat General 4 June 24th 03 03:42 AM