AMD Athlon XP (Barton) 2800+ temps

Old September 3rd 04, 12:55 AM
iTsMeMa

Don't know if you plan on logging time up to 40,000 hrs. but I'd personally
go for a sleeved vs. ball bearing fan. Life cycle is usually more than
adequate for home use (unless a 24/7 sys) and sleeved are typically quieter.

Just my opinion,

Garry

"Mal" wrote in message

wrote in message
On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 11:16:41 +0100, "Mal"
wrote:

TR2-M3

http://www.micro-logic.com/front/cat.asp?idCategory=342
http://www.cclcomputers.biz/specs/co...r0017/spec.htm
http://www.tr-solutions.net/en-gb/dept_75.html
http://www.tekheads.co.uk/web/product?product=603145
BoroLad

cheers for the reply ... all but the first one are actually the TR2-M3SE
model even though 2 of them are shown as the TR2-M3. The SE has sleeve
bearing and 30,000 hours life instead of a ball bearing and 40,000 hours.
Only noticed that from looking at the web site and wondering what the
differences were between models.

Mal

Old September 3rd 04, 07:14 AM
BigBadger

"Ed" wrote in message
On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 06:10:26 +0100, "BigBadger"
wrote:

"S Gibbons" wrote in message
I had the Ajigo MF035-032 cpu fan (recommended on the AMD site for this
processor) and was getting ASUS probe CPU temps of 65C at idle.
My basement gets to 82F (28C) in the summer, where I use the computer
(AMD
Athlon XP 2800+).
I did some research and decided on a Zalman, based on cooling and
quietness (and price).
I just installed a Zalman CNPS7000A-AlCu.
My idle temp is now 50C.
I can now highly recommend the Zalman CPU heatsink/fan (HSK).
It was a bit of a pain to remove the motherboard for the support
brackets,
however the quite factor and large size of this CPU HSK made it
worthwhile
for me.

Hope this info helps anyone who is not pleased with their temps and CPU
HSK.
NOTE: your motherboard must have the mounting holes and clearance for
the
Zalman, see the Zalman site for more info.

50C at idle is really not very good.... your load temps must be near 60C
which really is about the limit. I would suspect that your case is not
very
well ventilated. You need to have at least one fan at the back (in
addition
to the PSU) blowing out, and one fan in the front/bottom blowing in.

Oh please, AMD's stock XP fans only cool them that good and they put a 3
year warranty on the CPU, 50C ain't **** for a XP, it's normal!

Ed

Yeah maybe AMD stock cooling does cool them that good... and maybe 50C idle
nothing to worry about in terms of CPU damage... But this guy has just
invested a lot of cash in a Zalman, so I would have hoped his temps wound be
a little better than 'normal' stock AMD. He also said with the stock (AMD
recommended) cooler he was getting 65C idle.... are you gonna tell me that's
'normal' too?... Id say it shows he most likely has a case ventilation
problem.

Old September 3rd 04, 07:22 AM
Mal

ble.rogers.com...

wrote:

TR2-M3

http://www.micro-logic.com/front/cat.asp?idCategory=342
http://www.cclcomputers.biz/specs/co...r0017/spec.htm
http://www.tr-solutions.net/en-gb/dept_75.html
http://www.tekheads.co.uk/web/product?product=603145
BoroLad

cheers for the reply ... all but the first one are actually the TR2-M3SE
model even though 2 of them are shown as the TR2-M3. The SE has sleeve
bearing and 30,000 hours life instead of a ball bearing and 40,000

hours.
Only noticed that from looking at the web site and wondering what the
differences were between models.

Mal

that's not the point I was trying to make ... I was pointing out that 2 of
the sites are selling a TR2-M3SE as if it was a TR2-M3 which is false
advertising .. you'd be paying for a hsf which should have a 40,000 hour
life but actually getting one with 30,000 hours.

Old September 3rd 04, 09:05 AM
Harry

On Fri, 3 Sep 2004 07:14:30 +0100, "BigBadger"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"S Gibbons" wrote in message
[...]

Idle temps of 50C is fine, as long as the temps are the diode temps.
If it is the socket temp then you have an issue.

The advantage of a Zalman HSF over a stock HSF is going to be the
noise. My Zalman 6000 is inaudible, whereas the stock AMD HSF I had
was a jet engine of a beast. The temps for both HSFs was/is the same,
its just that I can sleep at night in a quiet room now.
Old September 3rd 04, 11:40 AM
Dave

wrote:

"S Gibbons" wrote in message
[...]

Gotta disagree here, Ed.

My XP2000+ is running at 2066MHz from 1.7V (1666Mhz and 1.6V std) and it is
running at 38C (socket, my board does not display diode) and room temp is
23C, 1 x 80mm fan in the PSU and a 92mm fan in the back of the case running
at about 8V. There is another 80mm fan mounted in the side cover of the
case but it is disconnected. The cooler is a TR2-M1. With that set-up my
CPU rarely runs more than 20C above room temp at those settings. If I need
extra cooling I just turn the home made diode fan speed controller up to 12V
and the temps will drop by 3-5C.

Oddly enough, the side fan makes almost no difference to the CPU temp when
it is connected, but is does look good at a LAN with its coloured LEDs. The
fan is mounted in the centre of the case side cover, not directly over the
CPU. If it was over the CPU area I would think it would make a difference.

My Leadtek A360 TDH FX5700 AGP card is running at 461/658 GPU/MEM (425/550
std) and the GPU is running at about 32C for normal usage and gets a bit
hotter during games.

My CPU with the std AMD HSF and no overclocking was rarely 13C above room
temp, even after a hard gaming session or video work and that was with a
rear 80mm exhaust fan at 7V.

The air intake on my case was originally 1cm x 5cm and the computer used to
run very hot. I opened that up a bit to 16cm x 2.8cm and the temps dropped
dramatically. The original fan grills were punched from the case so when I
cut them out the temps dropped a few degrees C more.

If the CPU temps were in the low 50sC and the room temp was in the low to
mid 30sC, then I would not be concerned but otherwise I would be looking to
improve my case ventilation.

Dave

Old September 3rd 04, 08:36 PM
S Gibbons

Lots of good feedback here, thanks all...

I have only one case fan, a quiet (low speed) rear fan blowing out.
No fan blowing in.
The power supply is an Enermax 433W,EG465AX-VE(W) FCA, with the fan control
all the way up (still quiet).
I assumed the original issue was not the case air flow, since the temps did
not go lower when the side door to the case is removed.

I am using ASUS PC Probe which shows CPU temp as 50C and MB temp at 40 C.
I need to learn what the difference between diode temp versus socket temp,
which one does the probe software indicate?

The Zalman HSK was not expensive ( in my opinion) it was $35.
The case I have is an Antec SLK3700-BQE, mid tower. It was chosen to also
keep things quiet (it does).
When the CPU temp rises (not idle) the MB temp does not rise, indicating to
me the case is not getting warmer.
I'm assumed the original issue was the ambient temp, 28C. And the CPU temp
rise with the Zalman, 22C, is now normal.
The case can accept another fan blowing in, however with the feedback
received... I just repeated the "cover off" test and the CPU temp is 2C
lower and the MB temp is 1C lower, not much of a change but a front fan is
probably in order.

Thanks again all.

Old September 6th 04, 09:46 AM
Harry

On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 19:36:20 GMT, "S Gibbons"
wrote:

[...]

PC Probe show the socket temp. This is a sensor located under the
actual socket that the CPU is plugged into. The diode temp is a sensor
embedded in the CPU ceramic. The diode temp is more realistic to the
actual temp of the CPU core. Typically the diode temp would show 50C
and the socket temp would be 35C

If your PC PRobe is showing 50C then this is the socket temp. Your
actual diode temp will be about 65C which is still well within the
limits that AMD have set on core temps.

However, I would see if you can lower this as constant high temps will
shorten the CPU life. I assume the 50C you quote is when the PC is
idling. If you run an intensive task the socket and diode temps will
rise.

For now assume that the diode temp is 15C higher than the socket (PC
Probe) temp.

Get a copy of Mother Board Monitor and use this instead of PC Probe.
It will give you the diode, socket and Motherboard temps ad well as
voltages and fan speeds (where you have 3 pin fans attached directly
to the motherboard)

let me know if you want more info

cheers

Harry