E520-Humming when conneted to Home Stereo??

Old November 18th 07, 05:38 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Paul[_6_]

Default E520-Humming when conneted to Home Stereo??

When I connect my E520 which has Integrated Audio(313-2758) to my NAD Home
receiver I get a hum... I first used a Y adapter for the Dell Sound Bar and
home receiver, the home receiver hummed but the sound bar did not, then
disconnected the Y and directly connected the PC to the receiver and still
it hummed. THEN unplugged it from the PC and plugged into my iPod and no
hum, perfectly clear.. I'm stumped here, can't be a power issue since I'm
sure the E520 has more juice then the iPod, any ideas???

Old November 18th 07, 05:48 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ron Hardin

Paul wrote:

When I connect my E520 which has Integrated Audio(313-2758) to my NAD Home
receiver I get a hum... I first used a Y adapter for the Dell Sound Bar and
home receiver, the home receiver hummed but the sound bar did not, then
disconnected the Y and directly connected the PC to the receiver and still
it hummed. THEN unplugged it from the PC and plugged into my iPod and no
hum, perfectly clear.. I'm stumped here, can't be a power issue since I'm
sure the E520 has more juice then the iPod, any ideas???

It's a ground loop. Put an isolation transformer in the audio lines.

Radio Shack 270-054 works. I have a half dozen of them installed here
and there amid digital devices and audio mixers.

(Physically the difference in ``ground'' levels in various devices,
particually if not powered off the same mains power, shares a current
path down the ground shield with the audio circuit, and so you share
some AC hum in the audio channel. An isolation transformer cuts the
DC ground path.)

Old November 22nd 07, 04:53 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Paul[_6_]

Thanks Ron,

Ground loop it was, you'll never guess what the fix was, I used one of those
3 prong reduced to a 2 prong adapters on the power cord to the PC and the
hum is gone... Guess that interupted the loop..

Old November 22nd 07, 06:10 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Robert McMillan

Not sure that I would want to be running my computer without an earth line
considering it has a metal case.Just seems like a good way to get zapped.

Old November 22nd 07, 06:16 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Paul[_6_]

I know, not finished trying to resolve my hum, I hate the thoughts of not
having the PC grounded BUT here's a strange twist... I actually put the 3
to 2 adapter on my power surge protector to my PC and other components for
my PC and the humming stopped, for the heck of it I took the 3to2 adapter
and switched to where the PC plugged into the surge suppressor and the
humming came back?? Now I figured the ground loop problem was between the
PC and Stereo receiver? Why doesn't interrupting the loop between the PC
and Receiver not enough, I'm really stumped now...