Using different types of DDR memories together

Old August 25th 07, 03:01 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Hamza

Default Using different types of DDR memories together

Hello All,

I am using a stick of DDR2 5300 (1gb) and a stick of DDR2 4300 (512mb)
on my
laptop and I was wondering if this could lead to any problems?

I've read somewhere that DDR2 modules are backwards compatible but I
just
wanted to get some opinions on this..

Many Thanks,
Hamza.

Old August 25th 07, 06:56 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
kony

On Fri, 24 Aug 2007 19:01:42 -0700, Hamza
wrote:

Hello All,

I am using a stick of DDR2 5300 (1gb) and a stick of DDR2 4300 (512mb)
on my
laptop and I was wondering if this could lead to any problems?

I've read somewhere that DDR2 modules are backwards compatible but I
just
wanted to get some opinions on this..

No it is no problem as long as your notebook is set to run
at the slowest common denominator, which is the 4300 speed
and the slowest (largest numbered) timings that either
module support at that speed. Your bios is supposed to, and
typically on a notebook, can't even be set to run at
anythign other than, these SPD programmed default settings
(unless there is a bios flaw).

As always, the first test after installing or changing a
memory config in any way is to run memtest86+ for several
hours to confirm stability.

Mixing memories of different latencies WahJava Intel 1 December 23rd 05 01:23 PM
2 memories 256 MB and 512 MB thewhitebsd General 2 January 28th 05 01:40 PM
flash memories Merina General 2 November 3rd 04 04:23 PM
combining memories... lallous General 1 July 21st 03 06:12 AM