Burned CDs don't play on home stereo

Old August 10th 07, 02:07 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Ray K

Default Burned CDs don't play on home stereo

I've burned three CD-Rs (not CD-RWs) on my new LiteOn DVDRW LH20A1, None
play on my home stereo, which uses an old Technics player. This player
has never balked at any of the hundreds of CDs I've burned on at least
10 different brands of blanks. With these new CDs, just hunts around and
never settles down, without even an indication of total recorded time or
number of tracks.

All three play in either of my compter's CD recorders. (The other is a
Teac 512.)

All three were made with EZCD v5. Two were made using Disc Copier, with
a homemade CD in my Teac CD-ROM as the source. One of the copies was on
a Memorex LightScribe CD-R. Suspecting the brand, I next tried a Sony
CD-R blank. Neither played in the Technics player.

I next tried burning a Sony blank using songs stored on my hard drive
instead of Disc Copier. Again, it didn't play in the home stereo.

All three discs were burned as music DAO CDs. When the option to allow
additional tracks to be added was available, I did NOT check that box.
When I use Explorer to view the disc, all the file extensions are cda.

Although the LiteOn is capable of 48x recording, EZCD reports 24X while
most of the songs are being recorded.

It certainly looks like the LiteOn has a problem. Any other
possibilities I've overlooked?

Thanks,

Ray
Old August 10th 07, 07:17 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Paul Heslop

Ray K wrote:

It certainly looks like the LiteOn has a problem. Any other
possibilities I've overlooked?

Thanks,

Ray

I would try dropping the write speed to 12 or even 8 times, see if
that works.

--
Paul (We won't die of devotion)
Stop and Look
Old August 10th 07, 07:21 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
GHalleck

Ray K wrote:

[...]

Tried burning at slower speeds, such as 8X or 12X? Perhaps even slower?
Also, the Technics player is somewhat old. Cleaned the laser recently?
The combination of slower burn speeds and some touch-up servicing of
the Technics could result in prolonging its useful life.
Old August 10th 07, 09:16 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------
http://tinyurl.com/6eldj
http://tinyurl.com/2qnvph
http://tinyurl.com/38wte6
http://tinyurl.com/gqnae
http://tinyurl.com/2xfbkz

(No Mikey S-Lickers have been able to prove ANY of the above is a )
(LIBEL -- despite Mikey claimed to have PROOF of libels & misquotes!)
'

Ray K wrote:

[...]

Check the cd's with ScanDisc of Nero CD-DVD Speed to see if there are
yellow/red blocks. If there are no yellow/red blocks, check "Disc
Quality". Burn at slower speed and check Disc Quality, and compare the
quality. If the "Quality score" is 90+ and the player still has
problems, try clean the player.
Old August 10th 07, 09:18 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
smh

http://www.cdspeed2000.com
Old August 10th 07, 12:20 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Ray K

smh wrote:

Check the cd's with ScanDisc of Nero CD-DVD Speed to see if there are
yellow/red blocks. If there are no yellow/red blocks, check "Disc
Quality". Burn at slower speed and check Disc Quality, and compare the
quality. If the "Quality score" is 90+ and the player still has
problems, try clean the player.

http://www.cdspeed2000.com

The results are as follows. The Memorex and center Sony results are for
discs burned at maximum speed (48x). The right column is for a Sony
blank burned at 16x, the minimum that EZCD allows.

TEST MEMOREX SONY SONY-16X
ScanDisc
Green boxes 100% 100% 100%
Red/yellow boxes 0% 0% 0%
Track 1 quality 100% 50% 50%
Tracks 2-26 quality 100% 100% 100%
Disc Quality
C1 Average 0.05 0.24 2.3
C1 Max 15 15 24
C1 Total 215 1124 10748
C2 Total 0 0 0
Quality Score 98 98 96

For what it's worth, the Memorex disc ID shows CMC Magnetics, while the
Sony discs are by Sony. So much for Sony quality, especially burned at 16x.

I cleaned the Technics player using a CD with a tiny brush glued to its
surface. It still doesn't play discs burned with the LiteOn, but
continues to play all my older discs (some burned in 1998) without any
problems. It also plays discs burned a couple of weeks ago with my Teac
512 burner. So I must rule out a player problem.

Is it time for me to return the LiteOn to Newegg? Should I request a
swap or try a different brand? Now that I've seen LightScribe results,
I'm not particularly impressed with that feature, so it doesn't matter
if the new burner has it or not.

Thanks to all for your suggestions.

Ray

Old August 10th 07, 02:12 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Ray K

In anticipation of someone's next suggestion, I downloaded the latest
firmware from LiteOn. Turns out that it was no more recent than the
version installed when the burner left the factory. I reflashed it anyway.

Now the newest burned Sony disc plays successfully in my home player. As
indicated in my previous post, with the Sony blanks, ScanDisk showed
that Track 1 had a quality of only 50%. Now it's 100%.

However, the newest burned Memorex disc still refuses to play. All green
boxes. Overall quality score is 97%. C1 average=0.12, max=18, total=559.
No C2 errors.

I'm ready to return the LiteOn for a replacement or different unit.
Old August 10th 07, 02:45 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
smh

Ray K wrote:
smh wrote:

[...]

The measurement numbers are very good.

Just chalk it up as one of the cases where the player simply does not
like the way the Liteon burned. Talk to Newegg that even though test
measurement showed the Liteon is not defective, the resulting cd's are
rejected by the player. See if you can get them exchange/replace the
Liteon with different brand. As for Lightscribe, well, you now know what
it's like.
Old September 2nd 07, 02:45 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Ray K

Ray K wrote:
[...]

Just to close out this thread. I replaced the LiteOn burner with an
identical model, hoping that the first one had a problem. The
replacement one has the same problem. So I returned it and got an Asus
DRW-1814BL. Discs burned with it (two different brands) play like a
charm in my home player and even better than I expected in my balky
factory 2003 Camry player. So while I've been very satisfied with my old
LiteOn for several years, I'm disappointed in the company's present
products.

Ray