Skid, do you have a minute?

Old January 6th 04, 10:30 PM
dmac

Default Skid, do you have a minute?

This is my reply to you reply about ram question and my setup. my response
is on bottom, I just ccp from the other post that turned out to have a
"little" controversy. If you could take a quick look and toss me your
thoughts I would eally appreciate it.
Thanks for all the help you give,

"dmac" wrote in message
I ask because I have to buy some ram for this ga8ik100 board. I need to

put
the pc2100 back into my old dell so It will run. 256 isn't cutting it.
So I am now looking at 466mhz ram and am trying to figure out whether 2 X
512 or 4 X 256 is better. I don't see any reason why I would need more

than
1gb ram, even though the board will accept 2gb..
If you guys wouldn't mind I would appreciate a "debate" or if you think

its
better I will create a new post.
I am learning a lot off you guys, especially Skid and Strontium, and would
appreciate any "opinions" that you can offer a guy that's new to
overclocking.
I am unable to affect cpu:ram ratio on this board (as far as I can tell)

so
I have to be careful with what I buy. the board will allow me to run ram

bus
at cpu host X 1.33, 1.6, or 2.0 but this appears to change the ratio
opposite of what I would need. unfortunately, due to economics, I am stuck
with this board for a few more months...

Thanks guys.

--
Dave M
Etna, Maine USA

I'm not familiar with that board. What chipset, and how do you have it set
up now?

chipset is 875 @ 800mhz with Intel 2.8 P4. I am running it at fsb of 222
right now (approx 3108mhz) and it is pretty stable. I have 2 sticks of 512mb
dell branded pc2100. I don't remember all my ram settings off hand. but
running at cas 2.5. I can't raise fsb much more w/o stability issues and
changing ram settings does not help much.
I believe its due to pc2100 and I think I can OC more with ram running at
least 400mhz. as it stands, my ram is running at about 293 mhz right now,
and it gets screwed up at approx 300 mhz.
I think with better ram I can get this stable at 3.3 but not being able to
change cpu:ram ratio is hurting me.
for the time, I have stock cooling for the monarch case. cpu,northbridge,
psu and 1 side case fan. my temps rarely go above 143 F (60-61 C) but I am
going to be adding another case fan soon. I don't think temp is my limiting
factor at this time.

thanks for your time, I really appreciate the help.

--
Dave M
Etna, Maine USA

Old January 7th 04, 03:43 PM
Skid

"dmac" wrote in message ...
This is my reply to you reply about ram question and my setup. my response
is on bottom, I just ccp from the other post that turned out to have a
"little" controversy. If you could take a quick look and toss me your
thoughts I would eally appreciate it.
Thanks for all the help you give,

The bios is reading your memory as PC2100 and automatically selecting the
lowest available cpu:ram ratio of 3:2. At your max stable fsb of 222, your
cpu is running at 222x14=3.1 ghz. The ram is running at two-thirds of that,
or 146 mhz.

Better ram should give you more cpu speed, but you won't know the max until
you try it. Assuming you get good PC3700 (DDR466), you'll be at 3.26 ghz
running 1:1 at the ram's rated speed of 233.

PC4000 would give you 250 fsb and 3.5ghz, IF that motherboard could handle
that speed and the cpu would go that high.

If your bios allows you to set the cpu:ram ratio manually, as many do, you
could save money by gettting PC3200 and running at 5:4. At 250 fsb, the cpu
would be at 3.5ghz and the memory at 200 mhz.

It all depends on your budget and what the board and cpu can do. PC3700
might be the safest of the options above.

Old January 7th 04, 04:05 PM
dmac

It seems that I can't manually alter the ratio.I am looking to get 466, and
I think the consensus (general) is that 4 sticks of 256 double side will
work a little better than 2 sticks of double side 512. That's if I
understood the Intel paper right.
maybe I am overlooking, but how did you get the 3:2 figure? If I knew that
it might help me tune a little better. the more I ask the more I
learn.........that I don't know much.
sorry to bother you.

--
Dave M
Etna, Maine USA

Old January 7th 04, 04:41 PM
BigStan

at cpu host X 1.33, 1.6, or 2.0 but this appears to change the ratio
opposite

These are your multipliers. I had the same numbers in an Albatron mb. Like
Skid said above 5:4 is running you memory at 80% of your ram speed.
200*.8=1.6

Old January 7th 04, 05:37 PM
dmac

I think I see now. the manual did not explain but it looked like it was
trying to raise ram speed by 1.33, not changing ratio. the manual was done
by a mass translator and the english is horrible. thanks much.

--
Dave M
Etna, Maine USA

Old January 7th 04, 05:38 PM
Skid

"dmac" wrote in message ...
It seems that I can't manually alter the ratio.I am looking to get 466,

and
I think the consensus (general) is that 4 sticks of 256 double side will
work a little better than 2 sticks of double side 512. That's if I
understood the Intel paper right.
maybe I am overlooking, but how did you get the 3:2 figure?

The 875 chipset uses ratios to match cpus and memory with varying
capabilities.

For example, a P4 533 uses an fsb of 133 and can use PC2100 (DDR 266) at
1:1, which means both cpu and ram are at the same speed. But pair a P4 800
with the same ram, and the ratio changes to 3:2, with the cpu at 200 fsb and
the ram at 133 (two-thirds of 200 is 133.)

Some boards allow you to manually select ratios in the bios. My Abit IC7
lets you pick an "NB Strap" setting of 533 or 800, for example, and then you
can pick from the available ratios for each speed. In my situation, a slow
2.4C with fast PC3700 ram, I chose 5:4 and a high fsb of 275, which gives me
3.3ghz (275x12) on the cpu and runs the memory a four-fifths of 275, or 220
mhz.

If your board does not have manual settings, the bios should still be
capable of detecting the speed of the cpu and memory and setting the proper
ratio. In your case, you have a 200 fsb cpu and 133 mhz ram, so it picked
3:2. When you raise the fsb, it keeps the ratio the same. 146 is two-thirds
of 220.

When you put in faster ram, the bios should set it at 1:1 and keep it that
way until the fsb gets higher than the memory is rated (which is half of the
DDR speed, or 233mhz for DDR466.) At that point the bios will likely drop
to a lower ratio.

Now you know why you were supposed to pay attention in 6th-grade math class
;)

Ping Skid - project problems. GHenry Hide Overclocking 5 December 13th 03 03:04 PM
ping skid please dmac Overclocking 7 December 9th 03 09:55 PM
Ping Skid BigStan Overclocking 2 November 18th 03 11:59 AM
Ping Skid - wierd stuff is happening here. Henry Hide Overclocking 5 October 22nd 03 03:33 PM
Attn: Skid I'm back again. Henry Hide Overclocking 3 October 7th 03 03:00 PM