Faulty goods on a b2b account?

Old January 23rd 04, 09:57 AM
Mike

Default Faulty goods on a b2b account?

Ordered an item on our business account.

The item is faulty so we have raised an RMA.

We are told we have to pay the postage and get it back to them, they do not
arrange collections.
Is this correct. On a normal consumer account you are not liable for the
postage if you are sent faulty goods, is this different on a business
account?

Thank you for your advice

(ps. this is not with dabs, ebuyer, tekheads or aria.)

Old January 23rd 04, 10:28 AM
Gaz

" The item is faulty so we have raised an RMA.

We are told we have to pay the postage and get it back to them, they do

not
arrange collections.
Is this correct. On a normal consumer account you are not liable for the
postage if you are sent faulty goods, is this different on a business
account?

Correct..B2B transactions are not covered by SOGA which is for 'consumers'
i.e. 'end-user'.

The best way with B2B is to 'discuss' the matter over the phone with your
account manager, if you are a valued customer they have a little leeway to
offer discounts off future purchases etc..

Lots of the online boys tempt you to sign up for 'trade' accounts, e-buyer
and dabs being 2 of the bigger ones (nothing against either I use both) but
you often find you get the same price as retail without the consumer
protection.
Having said that e-buyer will often refund postage costs and arrange
collections on b2b transactions, but they are in no way obliged to.

Old January 23rd 04, 01:27 PM
Peter Parry

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 09:57:56 -0000, "Mike" wrote:

We are told we have to pay the postage and get it back to them, they do not
arrange collections.
Is this correct.

It depends upon the terms and conditions you accepted. The Sale of
Goods Act most certainly does cover B2B transactions however mutually
agreed terms and conditions can over-ride the SOGA in business, but
not consumer, transactions.

Unless their T&C's cover the situation the default SOGA state -
whereby if you reject the goods they must arrange collection -
stands.

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/
Old January 23rd 04, 05:22 PM
RCT

Basically if they are sending you faulty goods and then are not willing to
pay for the return are they worth doing business with?

Collections are usually charged higher by courier companies than normal
deliveries to a customer, so it could be they won't collect but will refund
the costs of the delivery?

Thanks

Euan.
RCT

Old January 24th 04, 07:18 PM
Paul Hopwood

"Mike" wrote:

The item is faulty so we have raised an RMA.

We are told we have to pay the postage and get it back to them, they do not
arrange collections.
Is this correct. On a normal consumer account you are not liable for the
postage if you are sent faulty goods, is this different on a business
account?

If it's stated in their T&Cs then, in business transactions, it
becomes a condition of the contract of sale and they are entitled to
apply it. If no such condition exists then SOGA applies, so they'd be
responsible for return of the goods as per a consumer transaction.

That said, if you're doing a reasonable volume of business I'd expect
them to arrange collection as a matter of goodwill so it might be
worth raising with your account manager if you have one.

--
iv Paul iv