Slightly off-topic questions about AMD64

Old July 19th 04, 12:57 PM
Mary Richards

Default Slightly off-topic questions about AMD64

I know this is an Intel newsgroup but as there is no AMD group I have to ask
my questions here. I have 3 questions about an Athlon64.

1. Does an Athlon64 motherboard require special video cards etc or can it
just take standard cards?
2. Is there an AMD64 version of Windows XP?
3. Do I need special software to run on that 64-bit Windows or will standard
32 apps run just fine?

Sorry if these questions are a bit basic but I would really appreciate your
help.

Thanks,

Mary

Old July 19th 04, 02:04 PM
Post Replies Here Please

"Mary" == Mary Richards writes:

Mary I know this is an Intel newsgroup but as there is no AMD group
Mary I have to ask my questions here. I have 3 questions about an
Mary Athlon64.

Mary 1. Does an Athlon64 motherboard require special video cards etc
Mary or can it just take standard cards? 2. Is there an AMD64
Mary version of Windows XP? 3. Do I need special software to run on
Mary that 64-bit Windows or will standard 32 apps run just fine?

Mary Sorry if these questions are a bit basic but I would really
Mary appreciate your help.

Mary Thanks,

Mary Mary

There is a AMD64 NEWSGROUP, and I read it everyday. Do a search on
google groups for more details.

Good luck.

Alan

Old July 19th 04, 06:54 PM
Bob Niland

There is a AMD64 NEWSGROUP, and I read it everyday.
Do a search on google groups for more details.

What is the name of that newsgroup?
A Google on several obvious keywords only
came up with a debian topic.

And assuming the OP will have the same luck:

1. Does an Athlon64 motherboard require special
video cards etc or can it just take standard cards?

Nothing special. You can run AGP or PCI cards
today, and PCI-Express in the near future.

2. Is there an AMD64 version of Windows XP?

Only an aging public beta and a more recent
NDA-bound private beta. There's supposed to be a
released (although OEM-only) product "real soon
now".

Make sure there will be 64-bit device drivers
for all the components in your planned system.
This issue will be a challenge for a while yet.

You are aware, I trust, that the existing
XP 32-bit editions run fine on AMD64. Do note
that MS plans no 32-to-64 upgrade product in
the near future. So if you need 64-bit, and
must have Windows, wait for WinXP64-x86.

3. Do I need special software to run on
that 64-bit Windows or will standard
32 apps run just fine?

That was the whole point of AMD64 (vs. IA-64),
and it's the goal of Windows64 for AMD64/EM64T
that 32-bit binaries run flawlessly and with
no performance penalty. Actual Windows results
remain to be seen.

--
Regards, Bob Niland

Old July 20th 04, 12:34 AM
Carlo Razzeto

"Mary Richards" wrote in message
I know this is an Intel newsgroup but as there is no AMD group I have to

ask
my questions here. I have 3 questions about an Athlon64.

1. Does an Athlon64 motherboard require special video cards etc or can it
just take standard cards?

Nope, should run every video card on the market (assuming PCI-Express cards
arn't out yet, support for that will come soon).

2. Is there an AMD64 version of Windows XP?

Not yet, MS is slow to release new software

3. Do I need special software to run on that 64-bit Windows or will

standard
32 apps run just fine?

Most people who own AMD-64 today are happily running the standard edition of
WindowsXP

Sorry if these questions are a bit basic but I would really appreciate

your
help.

Don't worry about it.

Thanks,

Mary

Old July 25th 04, 06:29 AM
Yousuf Khan

Mary Richards wrote:
I know this is an Intel newsgroup but as there is no AMD group I have
to ask my questions here. I have 3 questions about an Athlon64.

You could have asked on comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips. More or less the
same topics as on comp.sys.intel, but more generalized.

And there are various AMD newsgroups out there, such as the
alt.comp.hardware.amd.* heirarchy.

1. Does an Athlon64 motherboard require special video cards etc or
can it just take standard cards?

Completely standard AGP, or PCI, or PCI-E video cards

2. Is there an AMD64 version of Windows XP?

It uses the standard 32-bit Windows XP so far. The full 64-bit XP is only a
beta right now.

3. Do I need special software to run on that 64-bit Windows or will
standard 32 apps run just fine?

Yeah, standard 32-bit apps will run just fine on the 64-bit Windows. In
fact, those 32-bit apps are likely to run better, since they'll have access
to more memory for themselves, not having to share any of it with the OS
itself.

Yousuf Khan

AMD64 heat ... caution johns Homebuilt PC's 11 February 3rd 05 12:22 PM
AMD64 3000 Vs. P4 2.8C John Wilson Homebuilt PC's 3 September 13th 04 06:00 AM
Slightly off Topic... Junkmailraus Homebuilt PC's 5 May 17th 04 03:52 AM
oops.. steve General 6 April 28th 04 01:43 AM
AMD64 OS Development Matt Strum AMD x86-64 Processors 9 April 6th 04 10:57 PM