The Biggest Mistake in Windows 7 and such, Task manager does notfocus on harddisk performance !

Old March 3rd 18, 12:55 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Default The Biggest Mistake in Windows 7 and such, Task manager does notfocus on harddisk performance !

It's time to discuss and inform you of what has been bothering me for quite some time now.

It's how Windows/The Task Manager presents the "performance of the computer".

In my daily usage it's not the CPU or the Memory usage which decides the experience.

It's mostly the harddisk and the constant harddisk/pagefile swapping that determines the most annoying part of computer usage.

Stutters/slow downs and waits for loads. Especially while browsing.

I wish Task Manager would focus much more on harddisk loads and what is causing it.

Nowadays Firefox and many tabs are open and the task manager is nearly useless.

Firefox should have a built in task manager and show which tabs are using the harddisk and such.

I hope in the future when I do build a new PC, if I ever do build a new PC and when I will absolutely stuff it CHOKE full with RAM and some SSDs that this stutter **** will belong to the passed. However I fear the worst.

The nice thing about MS-DOS and it's programs was basically stutter free operation. It had sometimes a different feel to it.

Anyway Windows is still the "DISK OPERATING system" that ms-dos was.

And thus the focus on the most/fastest components of the system CPU and memory is just PLAIN wrong !

I do like virtual memory and it's memory block/page file swapping though, it allows running much more programs than ms-dos ever could and swapping between them as needed !

I can only hope that future operating systems focus more on the true and most annoying bottlenecks of the system !

Bye,
Skybuck.
Old March 3rd 18, 01:01 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Now that I read my own **** LOL it occured to me.

Windows is much more of a DISK OPERATING system than ms-dos was.

MS-Dos would load some programs/run them and be done with em... and they'd be off running.

Windows however is a DISK WHORE of an operating sytem ! LOL constantly HOGGING THAT HD ! LOL.

It should never been renamed to "WINDOWS" hahaha... It's just as much and even a worse dirty HD OS LOL.

THE GUI is all windowy... but the performance is just ARGGHHH.

Bye,
Bye,
Skydisk.
Old March 3rd 18, 03:20 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Sat, 3 Mar 2018 04:55:52 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

I wish Task Manager would focus much more on harddisk loads and what is causing it.

Nowadays Firefox and many tabs are open and the task manager is nearly useless.

Firefox should have a built in task manager and show which tabs are using the harddisk and such.

Firefox is a virus, yes?

My browser(s), I've hotkeyed into a sequence of conveyances automated
by MS-DOS, now called CMD, (or a child process [of CMD] spawned for
NT4Windows, as evolved from 4DOS). A hotkey process for spawning
other processes, at least a couple, to "take out" the browser and any
residuals it may attempt to imprint;- browser scripting or extensions
into the OS are cautionary notes to be viewed with prejudice, although
they will be largely indistinguishable to the modern perception of a
surfboard.

The browser's process ID is to be limited, summed, to itself solely
for no supplementary extensions, as such to be subject to an immediate
kill command. The HotKey then serves effectively to be called for
clean-up operation, which destroys any and all residual occurrences
caused by a browser, recalling to engage the same browser, as an image
proximity derived as a steady-state and original installation, prior
any WEB contact.

Since the WEB is a virus, yes?

And here's where an importance develops. Within the OS install,
initially the OS code that is run by in large free and antiseptic from
characteristics you admit for affirmation of failure.

To take the browser analogy further, then, I also rewrite the entire
OS in much the same way. In 45 seconds, to be precise, to rewrite the
OS from one SDD to another SSD;- discounting of course a power
sequence for the machine, twice, to reboot the OS as a steady-state
image.

The good news being, I expect improvements at some future point, when
I sit down to study Windows 7 for editing and removing from the OS an
unnecessary focus of components which, for the most, do not
particularly occupy a focus of personal concern. Protection provided
from MSFT is one such area, since I tend see much of WEB resources as
exploitive in essence, if at all to be engaged for a similar
counter-motif.

And, yes, as you say, I suppose there would have been something about
MS-DOS that decidedly felt different: There was no WEB at that time.
Old March 3rd 18, 07:35 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

wrote:

I wish Task Manager would focus much more on harddisk loads and what is causing it.

The columns in Task Manager are configurable.
You can add a column for Disk Read and Disk Write.

https://s10.postimg.org/4wjzxpyo9/Task_Manager.gif

I can tell that the Search Indexer had read 68MB
of data since it was started. The counts are "Total Bytes"
and you watch the rate they accumulate to figure out
whether a process is really busy or not.

I use the "Total Byte" concept, to tell when a backup is
almost done. Any time a process does not show "percent done",
the Task Manager can be used to estimate when it will finish.

*******

Task Manager also has a button in one of the panels, that
causes Resource Manager to launch. It shows the actual
read rate and write rate per process. But then you have
a second window to look at.

*******

If you want to record *every* write operation, get a copy
of Process Monitor.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sys...nloads/procmon

*******

If you want to single step Firefox.

1) Clone the source using Mercurial (HG).
2) Find the recipe for adding Visual Studio integration.
3) Do a debug build (builds a .pdb for each .exe or .dll).
4) Launch under WinDbg. Single step.

You can certainly download the tarball from the Mozilla
site, which gives source. But the only fully populated
build tree (i.e. makes building Firefox possible),
is stored in the Mercurial source management system.
Pulling the Mercurial tree is about 50% bigger than the
tarball, which tells you there are extra items in it.

I haven't switched on Visual Studio integration in my
copy of the tree, and I was just testing out how difficult
it is to build today. I have it built under Windows 10
using Visual Studio 2015. When you build your own copy
of Firefox, it doesn't necessarily say "Firefox" when started,
as private builds should not be using official branding.

Paul
Old March 4th 18, 04:07 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Note:

1. I did disable disk cache to speed up the loading of World of Warships.
World of Warships works with many little files and I believed at the time the disk cashing algorithm in windows 7 cannot handle many little files well.. They will all be allocated on a seperate 4k page and may cause the disk cashing algorithm to run slow and consume a lot of CPU power so it was disabled. It does seem to help speed up the loading of World of Warships on a 4 GB system.

2. Prefetch was also disabled to prevent windows trying to load applications into memory when memory becomes available also to keep the memory clear and ready for use.

Yesterday I noticed VCL media player suttered even though there was slight web browsing activity. So may also be VCL media player related.

I may try and re-enable disk cashing to see if that helps at running a bit smoother... but for now gonna let it be I guess or maybe I will try not yet sure.

Bye,
Skybuck.
Old March 4th 18, 04:12 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

And, yes, as you say, I suppose there would have been something about
MS-DOS that decidedly felt different: There was no WEB at that time.

LOL.

There were 2400 baud modems, Telix and beautifully colored and creative BBS screens slowly appearing on screen. But never any stutter once it was loading or chatting with operator !

It certainly had a distinct feel to it !

Different font, different though fixed colors and most of all totally full screen.

Bye,
Skybuck.
Old March 4th 18, 04:21 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

On Saturday, March 3, 2018 at 8:35:06 PM UTC+1, Paul wrote:
wrote:

I wish Task Manager would focus much more on harddisk loads and what is causing it.

The columns in Task Manager are configurable.
You can add a column for Disk Read and Disk Write.

https://s10.postimg.org/4wjzxpyo9/Task_Manager.gif

I already have these.

I have I/O Reads and I/O Read Bytes.

Somehow I find it little usefull.

What does an I/O Read represent ? How much is it actually reading during 1 read ?

Would have to view I/O Read Bytes at same time which is kind impossible.

It may be more helpfull to show percentages.

A harddisk has a certain maximum capacity for performance. It could be 100 reads per second.

Though this also depends on disk RAM/caching behaviour which may make this more complex for OS software developers.

Then it could be shown how much of the "disk performance resource" percentage-wise is actually consumed by individual applications.

Also what is an I/O this is somewhat vague. Could this be network I/O too ?

What is I/O Other bytes ?!?!?!?

It's very hard to tell what's going on from 100's of numbers all increasing slightly... very difficult to tell how much it's incrementing over time.

Usually there will be multiple processes increasing these numbers.

100 per second is not a lot... so very hard to tell what the hell is going on.

Also there is Windows Disk Cache which complicates matters even further.

Where is the bottleneck ? Why is my soundcard lagging ?! And so forth... why can't vcl media player play smoothly... or why is World of Warships suddenly lagging the sound playback ? Bug in system ? Hardware defect ?

Or is it actually CPU suddenly lagged for 100% this may be a different issue though... but a weird one anyway... still feels disk related though.

How is prefetch and windows disk cashing involved... how much cpu is this taking ? Is this represented by kernel/system process.

There is much unknown and very little insight as to what the windows system is actually doing when it comes to handle disk i/o. I find it very mediocre....and it's such an important resource !

Bye,
Skybuck.
Old March 4th 18, 05:14 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Dude

Search indexer is for noobs, I pretty much know where all my files are !

Having this "service" (annoyances) running all the time is not worth it.

Together with "sticky keys" and "automated backup/restore points" this is probably one of the top 3 ****ty things about windows.

First thing I do when I install a new windows OS if ever is:

1. Turn off sticky keys, the most retarded invention ever, I cannot imagine this being usefull for anybody... yet it's on by default, infuriating. Causes stuck " symbols and annoying shift help pop ups.

2. Turn off restore points, total hd performance killer.

3. Turn off search indexer.. totally fricking useless.

(Turn off any other crap like compression/encryption too ! )

(Bonus tip 4 for noobies out the Set page size to fixed size this is actually first thing I do to benefit from nice sequential space maybe even defrag first after clean install then set this up ).

Bye,
Skybuck.
Old March 4th 18, 05:18 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Hmmm interesting.

If I run procmon directly from the winrar file it does work.

The extracted copy from some time ago does not work if I start it from windows explorer.

Not sure what is going on here... maybe procmon was updated.

Or something weird/fishy is going on with windows explorer and maybe registry keys.

Thanks for this tip though might check out procmon further now that it's working from winrar file !

Bye,
Skybuck.
Old March 4th 18, 05:22 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

It seems Microsoft may have read my complaint about procmon not working in windows 7 in the past or it was a regular update.

The version in the winrar is new. It's from 12 february 2018 !

First thing I noticed was media player is reading lots of registry keys.

Not sure if it was a log display or if it was real time.

This may or may not explain why vcl media player was stuttering slightly when media player was also on.

I kinda already noticed this behaviour from media player... I may stop it for slightly increased system performance during gaming or out of paranoya :P

Nice to see this tool was updated now it may shed some more light on things.

Though if this tool will remain working with soon-to-be-issued spetre/meltdown "fixes" remains to be seen.

I think my windows update was nuked long ago so LOL not really a problem for me/my system ! LOL.

Bye,
Skybuck.

Task Manager is acting up, how to repair? Windows 10 recovery optionsare overkill RayLopez99 Homebuilt PC's 19 June 15th 16 11:19 AM
Windows Task Manager.......can someone advise on how to interpert the information? RC Homebuilt PC's 7 May 2nd 08 12:30 AM
windows task manager millt General 2 July 15th 06 10:11 AM
Windows Task Manager Von Fourche Dell Computers 6 January 3rd 06 08:06 PM
task manager John Johnson Homebuilt PC's 0 November 1st 04 07:10 AM