"Microsoft reportedly planning another doomed attempt at jettisoningWin32 apps in 2019"

Old January 26th 18, 09:26 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Lynn McGuire[_3_]

Default "Microsoft reportedly planning another doomed attempt at jettisoningWin32 apps in 2019"

"Microsoft reportedly planning another doomed attempt at jettisoning
Win32 apps in 2019"

https://mspoweruser.com/microsoft-re...n32-apps-2019/

Note to self, Microsoft is not my friend.

Lynn
Old January 27th 18, 12:13 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Larc[_3_]

On Fri, 26 Jan 2018 15:26:09 -0600, Lynn McGuire wrote:

| "Microsoft reportedly planning another doomed attempt at jettisoning
| Win32 apps in 2019"
|
| https://mspoweruser.com/microsoft-re...n32-apps-2019/
|
| Note to self, Microsoft is not my friend.

Sorry, but I don't find the source (Surur) to be completely reliable and haven't
heard about this from any of the standard dependable sources. Windows Ten Forums
would be up in arms if it were true, but I haven't seen any mention of it there.

Larc
Old January 27th 18, 12:52 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
VanguardLH[_2_]

Lynn McGuire wrote:

"Microsoft reportedly planning another doomed attempt at jettisoning
Win32 apps in 2019"

https://mspoweruser.com/microsoft-re...n32-apps-2019/

Note to self, Microsoft is not my friend.

I'm waiting to /not/ be surprised when Microsoft supplants their NT
kernel and goes to a Linux kernel with a Windows-like desktop, like
Apple did back 16 years ago going from macOS to OS X.

Microsoft's Azure services: based on Linux.
https://www.wired.com/2015/09/micros...everyone-else/

Microsoft moved SQL Server to Linux
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micros..._distributions

bash and Ubuntu lib support
https://preview.tinyurl.com/ljw83rh
Microsoft offers 3 flavors of Linux
https://www.engadget.com/2017/05/11/...windows-store/

Microsoft finally a member of Open Source Initiative
http://www.zdnet.com/article/microso...s-big-backers/

Is Windows 10 Conditioning Us for a Microsoft Linux OS?
https://redmondmag.com/articles/2017...-us-linux.aspx

Zim zim ala bim, the spirits are about to speak. They say Microsoft
Linux will appear sometime around 2025 to 2028 (i.e., about two 6-year
OS development cycles from the release of Windows 10).
Old January 28th 18, 01:50 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mr. Man-wai Chang

On 27/1/2018 05:26, Lynn McGuire wrote:
"Microsoft reportedly planning another doomed attempt at jettisoning
Win32 apps in 2019"
https://mspoweruser.com/microsoft-re...n32-apps-2019/
Note to self, Microsoft is not my friend.

The deadline for 32-bit programs should be year 2038! I am wondering
about the fate of *ALL* software in Hong Kong Government....

/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty!
^ ^ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.39.3
Old January 28th 18, 01:53 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mr. Man-wai Chang

Default year 2038 and 32-bit data structures

On 28/1/2018 21:50, Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:
On 27/1/2018 05:26, Lynn McGuire wrote:
"Microsoft reportedly planning another doomed attempt at jettisoning
Win32 apps in 2019"
https://mspoweruser.com/microsoft-re...n32-apps-2019/

Note to self, Microsoft is not my friend.

The deadline for 32-bit programs should be year 2038! I am wondering
about the fate of *ALL* software in Hong Kong Government....

Wait a minute... most Micro$oft Office documents are still using 32-bit
time-stamp, aren't they?

Old January 31st 18, 09:29 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Lynn McGuire[_3_]

On 1/28/2018 7:53 AM, Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:
On 28/1/2018 21:50, Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:
On 27/1/2018 05:26, Lynn McGuire wrote:
"Microsoft reportedly planning another doomed attempt at jettisoning
Win32 apps in 2019"
https://mspoweruser.com/microsoft-re...n32-apps-2019/

Note to self, Microsoft is not my friend.

The deadline for 32-bit programs should be year 2038! I am wondering
about the fate of *ALL* software in Hong Kong Government....

Wait a minute... most Micro$oft Office documents are still using 32-bit
time-stamp, aren't they?

Only if they are using a 32 bit signed integer. Using a 32 bit unsigned
integer takes the problem out to 2106.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_2038_problem

Lynn