Canon BJC-50-Not Working With Gutenprint in OS X 10.6.8 Anymore

Old February 17th 14, 11:34 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Jonathan L. Parker[_2_]

Default Canon BJC-50-Not Working With Gutenprint in OS X 10.6.8 Anymore

Had worked passably (slow and used too much ink but print quality was
OK) for most of the past seven years on a MacBook Pro originally running
OS X 10.4.11. Still worked when I upgraded to Snow Leopard and
Gutenprint 5.2.9. All of a sudden, however, it won't print in color.
When I try I get only a black-and-white image that's way too dark and
pictures that almost look like photo negatives.

Among the things I've tried are completely uninstalling and reinstalling
Gutenprint, resetting the printing system, trying both ColorSync and
Vendor Matching under Color Matching, changing Color Model between RGB,
CMYK, KCMY, Republican, Democrat, Indepenedent or whatever else is in
there. In short, I've played around with anything that looks like it
might help.

I've got several other printers that still work fine with OS X and the
BJC-50 works just as great as ever with Windows (95, Vista and 7) so my
guess is we're looking at a software problem such as a setting that
somehow got changed. Any ideas where to start?
Old February 18th 14, 03:10 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Gernot Hassenpflug

"Jonathan L. Parker" writes:

[...]

1. In your CUPS interface make sure you are using RGB for color, not
CMYK (gutenprint expects RGB and converts any other input to RGB
anyway---but CMYK is a much smaller color space so you would be losing
quality before you even began to print).

2. Make sure the resolution mode you are using is compatible with the
media, and with color. I.e., if you are using a monochrome mode it will
not matter what color options you are asking for, the specified mode
takes precedence.

3. Set CUPS debug option on in the admin panel.

4. Do a print and look at the debug log, also available from the admin
panel. Maybe you can see what the gutenprint output was specified as.

BTW, since I am current maintainer of the canon backend in gutenprint, I
would welcome any testing you could to. Pre-release of 5.2.10 is out too
(but for MacOSX it is missing the intelligent back-end required for the
various dye-sub photo-printers).

Regards,
Gernot Hassnepflug
--
NNTP on Emacs 24.3 from Windows 7
Old February 23rd 14, 01:55 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Jonathan L. Parker[_2_]

Default Canon BJC-50-Not Working With Gutenprint in OS X 10.6.8 Anymore(Fixed-sort of)

On 2/17/14 8:10 PM, Gernot Hassenpflug wrote:
"Jonathan L. Parker" writes:

...All of a sudden, however, it won't print in
color. When I try I get only a black-and-white image that's way too
dark and pictures that almost look like photo negatives.
Any ideas where to start?

1. In your CUPS interface make sure you are using RGB for color, not
CMYK...
2. Make sure the resolution mode you are using is compatible with the
media, and with color...
3. Set CUPS debug option on in the admin panel.

Thanks for trying to help, Gernot.

I managed to find an easier resolution. I went back and checked the
list of available drivers for Canon printers and it appears that from
somewhere I've picked up one that appears to be from Canon itself-or the
result of a really good reverse-engineering job-for the BJC-85 printer,
which is very similar to the BJC-50 and uses the same cartridges.
Feeling I had nothing to lose, I went ahead and selected the driver and
after tweaking a few more settings I'm getting color quality about as
good as I get in Windows-and print speed to match. For a 15-year-old
printer only being used as a backup, that's more than enough.

For anyone facing this same problem, the driver I selected was the one
labeled simply "Canon BJC-85," not the one with "CUPS+Gutenprint 5.2.9"
behind it. If anyone wants to try the other driver and let us know how
you make out, that's fine. I'm quitting while I'm ahead.

Old February 24th 14, 08:34 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Gernot Hassenpflug

"Jonathan L. Parker" writes:

[...]

Hi Jonathan,

Since I'm the maintainer of the gutenprint Canon backend, but did not
write and of the support code for the BJC printers, I want to ask a few
more questions:

1. It appears you are using 5.2.9, but the BJC-50 printer driver in
gutenprint 5.2.9 did not work for color, nor does it produce good B/W
prints?

2. The BJC-85 driver you are now using is not the gutenprint one, but a
different one? What is the exact URL of the print queue now that the
driver is installed?

3. I seem to remember that there is a BJC driver in Ghostscript, but not
sure right now what models it supports.

4. I would be very happy to do some checks of the various modes and
options in the gutenprint code, and modify/correct things if you
would be willing to test. In fact, if I were to send you some raw
print jobs that you could directly send to your printer, that would
be easiest, no need for you to install the driver. Would you be up
for that? It is much better to fix the problem for other people as
well, than to rely on a substitution solution (not that there is
anything wrong with a good alternative).

Regards,
Gernot Hassenpflug
--
NNTP on Emacs 24.3 from Windows 7
Old February 25th 14, 01:11 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Jonathan L. Parker[_2_]

On 2/24/14 1:34 AM, Gernot Hassenpflug wrote
Hi Jonathan,

Since I'm the maintainer of the gutenprint Canon backend, but did not
write and of the support code for the BJC printers, I want to ask a few
more questions:

1. It appears you are using 5.2.9, but the BJC-50 printer driver in
gutenprint 5.2.9 did not work for color, nor does it produce good B/W
prints?

That's right. It worked when I first installed it but quit for some reason.

2. The BJC-85 driver you are now using is not the gutenprint one, but a
different one? What is the exact URL of the print queue now that the
driver is installed?

Not quite sure what you mean. Maybe I should remind here that I'm
running Mac OS X 10.6.8 and not Linux.

3. I seem to remember that there is a BJC driver in Ghostscript, but not
sure right now what models it supports.

4. I would be very happy to do some checks of the various modes and
options in the gutenprint code, and modify/correct things if you
would be willing to test. In fact, if I were to send you some raw
print jobs that you could directly send to your printer, that would
be easiest, no need for you to install the driver. Would you be up
for that?

No, not really. As I mentioned, I don't use this printer much anymore
with OS X except as a backup. Also, the BJC-85 driver works way better
than the BJC-50 one ever did.

But thanks again for trying to help.
Old February 26th 14, 03:52 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Gernot Hassenpflug

"Jonathan L. Parker" writes:

On 2/24/14 1:34 AM, Gernot Hassenpflug wrote
Hi Jonathan,

Since I'm the maintainer of the gutenprint Canon backend, but did not
write and of the support code for the BJC printers, I want to ask a few
more questions:

1. It appears you are using 5.2.9, but the BJC-50 printer driver in
gutenprint 5.2.9 did not work for color, nor does it produce good B/W
prints?

That's right. It worked when I first installed it but quit for some
reason.

"Worked": does that mean it printed in color also?

2. The BJC-85 driver you are now using is not the gutenprint one, but a
different one? What is the exact URL of the print queue now that the
driver is installed?

Not quite sure what you mean. Maybe I should remind here that I'm
running Mac OS X 10.6.8 and not Linux.

Sorry, I meant URI.
The URI has nothing to do with linux, it is determined by CUPS.
Basically, where the heck does the driver come from you are using? The
URI will tell us.

Gernot
--
NNTP on Emacs 24.3 from Windows 7
Old February 26th 14, 08:16 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Jonathan L. Parker[_2_]

On 2/25/14 8:52 PM, Gernot Hassenpflug wrote:

"Worked": does that mean it printed in color also?

Yes. It works just like it does in Windows.

2. The BJC-85 driver you are now using is not the gutenprint one, but a
different one? What is the exact URL of the print queue now that the
driver is installed?

Not quite sure what you mean. Maybe I should remind here that I'm
running Mac OS X 10.6.8 and not Linux.

Sorry, I meant URI.
The URI has nothing to do with linux, it is determined by CUPS.
Basically, where the heck does the driver come from you are using? The
URI will tell us.

Afraid I don't know where to find that for you in OS X. I did go to the
CUPS webpage (localhost:631) but didn't see anything there resembling a
URI. The drivers both there and in the Print and Fax wizards in OS X
show up in lists. I chose the driver from that list.

If you can tell me where to find the URI I'll look for it again. It may
be a while before I can get back with you, though. Got a full-time job
to attend to and there's the time zone difference between us. I'll do
what I can when I can.
Old February 26th 14, 04:33 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Gernot Hassenpflug

"Jonathan L. Parker" writes:

[...]

Hmm, if you are in the CUPS web interface, and you go to the "printers"
tab, do you see the following columns of information, with a line per
printer?

1st column: Queue Name
2nd column: Description
3rd column: Make and Model
4th column: Status

Here is my output for each column from that tab for my iP4500:

1. Canon_iP4500_series
2. Canon iP4500 series
3. Canon PIXUS iP4500 - CUPS+Gutenprint-CVS v5.2.10-pre1
4. Idle

That should already be a lot of information there in the 3rd column,
about the driver used.

If you can tell me where to find the URI I'll look for it again. It
may be a while before I can get back with you, though. Got a
full-time job to attend to and there's the time zone difference
between us. I'll do what I can when I can.

If you click on the printer queue name in the 1st column, a page is
shown for that printer, with the following information, where the URI is
the "Connection":

Location: blank

Driver: Canon PIXUS iP4500 - CUPS+Gutenprint-CVS v5.2.10-pre1 (color, 2-sided printing)

Connection: usb://Canon/iP4500%20series?serial=200E70

Defaults: job-sheets=none, none media=om_cd5-inch_116.06x116.06mm sides=one-sided

If you can supply the driver and connection, that would be enough to
tell what software is now supplying your driver.

Cheers,
Gernot
Old February 27th 14, 02:55 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Jonathan L. Parker[_2_]

On 2/26/14 9:33 AM, Gernot Hassenpflug wrote:

That should already be a lot of information there in the 3rd column,
about the driver used.

OK. I think I'm with you now. The third column has "Canon BJC-85" on
that line, and that's all.

If you click on the printer queue name in the 1st column, a page is
shown for that printer, with the following information, where the URI is
the "Connection":

Copied and pasted:
lpd://192.168.1.103/canon

That's the share name I gave it on the desktop computer it's connected
to, not the driver.

If you can supply the driver and connection, that would be enough to
tell what software is now supplying your driver.

Here's the whole printer page the way it appears now:

Location:
Driver: Canon BJC-85 (color, 2-sided printing)
Connection: lpd://192.168.1.103/canon
Defaults: job-sheets=none, none media=oe_na-letter_8.5x11in sides=one-sided

Hope this helps.

Old February 27th 14, 03:59 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Gernot Hassenpflug

"Jonathan L. Parker" writes:

On 2/26/14 9:33 AM, Gernot Hassenpflug wrote:

Hi Jonathan,

That should already be a lot of information there in the 3rd column,
about the driver used.

OK. I think I'm with you now. The third column has "Canon BJC-85" on
that line, and that's all.

Thanks a lot. I don't know what it means, but judging by the name it is
not a gutenprint-supplied driver.

If you click on the printer queue name in the 1st column, a page is
shown for that printer, with the following information, where the URI is
the "Connection":

Copied and pasted:
lpd://192.168.1.103/canon

That's the share name I gave it on the desktop computer it's connected
to, not the driver.

Understood.

I think what is happening is that you are using perhaps the Foomatic PPD
fort he BJC-85, which uses Ghostscript and Foomatic filters to do
conversions of the data.

If you can supply the driver and connection, that would be enough to
tell what software is now supplying your driver.

Here's the whole printer page the way it appears now:

Location:
Driver: Canon BJC-85 (color, 2-sided printing)
Connection: lpd://192.168.1.103/canon
Defaults: job-sheets=none, none media=oe_na-letter_8.5x11in sides=one-sided

If you can access the PPD file itself (not sure how to do that, maybe in
/var/log/cups/error_log once debug is enabled in the CUPS interface).
The PPD for Foomatic/Ghostscript appears to be named as follows:

Canon-BJC-85-bjc600.ppd

I would like to investigate how/why the gutenprint driver does not work
for you, but I understand if you do not have time to help debug this.

Regards,
Gernot Hassenpflug
--
NNTP on Emacs 24.3 from Windows 7