3rd Generation i7 and Six Cores

Old November 26th 12, 09:01 AM posted to comp.sys.intel
W[_3_]

Default 3rd Generation i7 and Six Cores

I was going through the list of i7 processors on Intel's site, and it looks
like for the latest 3rd Generation I7 they do not have a six core processor.
They did include six cores with the 2nd Generation i7. Is there an intent
to support six cores in the 3rd Generation i7, and what is timeline for
releasing that?

Old December 7th 12, 11:29 AM posted to comp.sys.intel
[email protected]

On Monday, 26 November 2012 16:01:47 UTC+8, W wrote:
I was going through the list of i7 processors on Intel's site, and it looks

like for the latest 3rd Generation I7 they do not have a six core processor.

They did include six cores with the 2nd Generation i7. Is there an intent

to support six cores in the 3rd Generation i7, and what is timeline for

releasing that?

Are you referring to the LGA2011 i7? That was a Xeon in sheep's clothing
and a wee bit expensive...
How many customers actually bought it?
Old December 7th 12, 01:27 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
W[_3_]

wrote in message
On Monday, 26 November 2012 16:01:47 UTC+8, W wrote:
I was going through the list of i7 processors on Intel's site, and it

looks

like for the latest 3rd Generation I7 they do not have a six core

processor.

They did include six cores with the 2nd Generation i7. Is there an

intent

to support six cores in the 3rd Generation i7, and what is timeline for

releasing that?

Are you referring to the LGA2011 i7? That was a Xeon in sheep's clothing
and a wee bit expensive...
How many customers actually bought it?

Apparently it is FCLGA1155 according to:

http://ark.intel.com/products/series/65131

Under 3rd Generation Intel Core i7 look for subcategory Intel Core i7-3700
Desktop Processor Series. There are four processors in this series.

Dell is using these processors as the basis for their XPS 8500 gaming
system. There is no way I would buy a gaming system with a single four
core processor. Six core would be minimum so I am wondering when/if Intel
will support six cores with that socket layout.