Mobo Chip PS and Memory

Old April 14th 11, 08:57 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

Default Mobo Chip PS and Memory

Metspitzer wrote:
My nephew's computer died. I would like to replace the mobo with a
mid grade replacement. I will be using XP.
I would just order one of these, but they are out of stock. Something
along these lines.

Suggestions?

--
O'Neil to General Hammond:
For the record Sir, I wanted to blow it the hell up.

That is an AM3 processor.

http://products.amd.com/en-us/Deskto...il.aspx?id=655

Some of the motherboard web sites, will offer a search, so you
can develop a list of alternative boards. As your processor is AM3,
I would expect the list to be pretty large.

http://support.asus.com.tw/cpu.aspx?SLanguage=en

You should at least give some hints as to what your requirements a

1) Will you be using a PCI Express video card, or relying on built-in video ?

2) Are there any expansion slot requirements ? Does your nephew have a lot
of toys plugged into the expansion slots (TV tuner in x1 slot, sound card
in PCI slot, and so on) ?

3) Do you need a microATX motherboard (9.6"x9.6") or a full sized ATX (12"x9.6") ?

4) If the motherboard is microATX, are four memory slots a requirement,
or would just two of them be sufficient.

Based on that, it might be possible to focus on a smaller set of
solutions.

HTH,
Paul

Old April 14th 11, 09:56 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

Metspitzer wrote:

You should at least give some hints as to what your requirements a

1) Will you be using a PCI Express video card, or relying on built-in video ?

built in

2) Are there any expansion slot requirements ? Does your nephew have a lot
of toys plugged into the expansion slots (TV tuner in x1 slot, sound card
in PCI slot, and so on) ?

It is for web surfing. He has a game console.

3) Do you need a microATX motherboard (9.6"x9.6") or a full sized ATX (12"x9.6") ?

Full size

4) If the motherboard is microATX, are four memory slots a requirement,
or would just two of them be sufficient.

I am going to get 2G memory

Just put your finger on one and I am good to go.

I would have liked to pick out an 890GX board, but the reviews weren't too
encouraging. Those motherboards had lots of expansion options.

This one was next in line, and at least the first few customer reviews weren't discouraging.

ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 AM3 AMD 880G HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX $120

The chipset is described here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMD_800_chipset_series

If I check the Asus site, the 445 Rana is there.

http://support.asus.com.tw/Cpusuppor.../USB3&p=1&s=24

You can get the motherboard manual here. This will allow you
to verify the chips being used.

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/...VO-USB3_V2.zip

"Dual independent displays support:

* D-Sub & DVI-D \___ Can drive two monitors, but only the specified pairs, like VGA + DVI-D
* D-Sub & HDMI /

HDMI with max. resolution 1920 x 1200 (1080P)
DVI-D with max. resolution 2560 x 1600 @60Hz
VGA RGB with max. resolution 2048 x 1536 @85Hz

Supports H.264, VC-1, MPEG-2, DirectX 10.1, and OpenGL 2.0
Supports Shader Model 4.1, Universal Video Decoder (UVD) 2.0 " --- UVD for video decode

"AMD SB850 chipset
- 5 x SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports with RAID 0, 1, 5, and 10 support
- 1 x eSATA port (6.0 Gb/s ready)

VIA VT6330 PATA controller
- 1 x Ultra DMA 133/100/66 for up to 2 PATA devices" --- for ribbon cable drives

*******

For more feedback, or user problems, check the vip forum.

http://vip.asus.com/forum/topic.aspx...Language=en-us

That motherboard uses DDR3 RAM, so make sure that's the kind of RAM you have on hand.
Since you're not using a video card, any ole power supply should do.

Paul

Old April 15th 11, 03:58 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Andy

On Thu, 14 Apr 2011 14:59:16 -0500, Metspitzer
wrote:

My nephew's computer died. I would like to replace the mobo with a
mid grade replacement. I will be using XP.
I would just order one of these, but they are out of stock. Something
along these lines.

Suggestions?

AMD Athlon II X3 445 Rana 3.1 GHz 3x512 KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W
Triple-Core Desktop Processor - Retail ADX445WFGMBOX
http://www.amazon.com/AMD-Athlon-Triple-Core-Desktop-Processor/dp/B003M7BLQU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1302832588&sr=8-3