Linux for Windows to surf the net? Using an emulator?

Old April 10th 11, 08:17 PM posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
RayLopez99

Default Linux for Windows to surf the net? Using an emulator?

Anybody tried using a software emulator like VMware to run Linux under
Windows? I'm installing it now, and wonder if you can "surf the net"
with an emulator without having to tweak your internet modem.

RL
Old April 10th 11, 09:03 PM posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
7[_2_]

RayLopez99 wrote:

Anybody tried using a software emulator like VMware to run Linux under
Windows? I'm installing it now, and wonder if you can "surf the net"
with an emulator without having to tweak your internet modem.

RL

Yes everybody that hasn't been born yesterday.
google is your friend.
lots of videos in www.youtube.com

You can run windopws expee in virtual box downloadable
from www.virtualbox.org and windopws runs faster than
on a real machine (except with bit banging video and 3D graphics
operations). So things like windopws surfing, email, spreadsheet,
wordprocessing etc run a lot quicker in virtualbox on Linux than
the other way around. The latest versions of virtualbox
allow USB connect through from Linux into the windopws emulation
and windopws works just fine. Occasionally windopws blue screens
just as in real life, but if you took back up of the
virtual machine hard disk, then you can just copy over the crashed
virtual machine hard disk file, and everything is restored.
When the screen is maximised, there is no way for the windummy
to guess if they are working on a real machine or a virtual machine
running in Linux. The simulation is that good.

Old April 10th 11, 09:10 PM posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
JEDIDIAH

On 2011-04-10, RayLopez99 wrote:
Anybody tried using a software emulator like VMware to run Linux under
Windows? I'm installing it now, and wonder if you can "surf the net"
with an emulator without having to tweak your internet modem.

You've got to be kidding...

[rolls eyes]

--
If some college kid can replicate your "invention" without seeing |||
any of the details of your patent then you have been granted a patent / | \
Old April 10th 11, 10:56 PM posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
owl

In comp.os.linux.advocacy RayLopez99 wrote:
Anybody tried using a software emulator like VMware to run Linux under
Windows? I'm installing it now, and wonder if you can "surf the net"
with an emulator without having to tweak your internet modem.

lol

Old April 11th 11, 01:20 AM posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
philo[_5_]

On 04/10/2011 02:17 PM, RayLopez99 wrote:
Anybody tried using a software emulator like VMware to run Linux under
Windows? I'm installing it now, and wonder if you can "surf the net"
with an emulator without having to tweak your internet modem.

RL

Why bother?

You've posted 1000 times that you hate Linux and it's terrible
Old April 11th 11, 04:47 AM posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Big Steel[_3_]

On 4/10/2011 8:20 PM, philo wrote:
On 04/10/2011 02:17 PM, RayLopez99 wrote:
Anybody tried using a software emulator like VMware to run Linux under
Windows? I'm installing it now, and wonder if you can "surf the net"
with an emulator without having to tweak your internet modem.

RL

Why bother?

You've posted 1000 times that you hate Linux and it's terrible

You should be happy, because you have confirmation that one person is
using Linux.
Old April 11th 11, 05:54 AM posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
RayLopez99

On Apr 11, 7:20*am, philo wrote:
On 04/10/2011 02:17 PM, RayLopez99 wrote:

Anybody tried using a software emulator like VMware to run Linux under
Windows? *I'm installing it now, and wonder if you can "surf the net"
with an emulator without having to tweak your internet modem.

RL

Why bother?

You've posted 1000 times that you hate Linux and it's terrible

I do. But if I can surf the net from a sandboxed app it's worth it.

Just loaded VMWare now...let me see what happens when I click the
icon.

Oh wow. I did not realize that VMWare actually wants you to build a
virtual machine using an installation disk. I thought it was
preloaded with various OSes.

So my next question: what ISO for Linux should I use when building my
Virtual Machine? Which is the most stable? Remember I'm running this
VMWare under Windows 7 on hardware that can emulate virtual stuff.

RL
Old April 11th 11, 05:56 AM posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
RayLopez99

On Apr 11, 4:11*am, Snit wrote:
JEDIDIAH stated in post on 4/10/11 1:10
PM:

On 2011-04-10, RayLopez99 wrote:
Anybody tried using a software emulator like VMware to run Linux under
Windows? *I'm installing it now, and wonder if you can "surf the net"
with an emulator without having to tweak your internet modem.

* *You've got to be kidding...

* *[rolls eyes]

No, he does not. *And the answer is: yes, you can do that.

I am surprised you did not know that, frankly.

--

Good one Snit. And I bet this guy has never used VMware Player
either...just your typical blowhard know-it-all that knows nothing.

If you have a favorite OS to use in WM Ware let me know. I might
load XP onto it (running VWWare under 7) and one flavor of Linux--but
which one?

RL

Old April 11th 11, 07:50 AM posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
TomB

["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.advocacy.]
On 2011-04-11, the following emerged from the brain of RayLopez99:

one flavor of Linux--but which one?

Mint.

--
When Chuck Norris falls in water, Chuck Norris doesn't get wet. Water
gets Chuck Norris.