Can't boot from drive or CD

Old April 2nd 11, 07:51 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
GlowingBlueMist[_6_]

Default Can't boot from drive or CD

On 4/2/2011 2:20 PM, Metspitzer wrote:
After a storm the computer said something like........disk read error
hit ctrl alt del. I removed that drive and have an extra drive that
is blank. With the blank drive in it reports NTLDR missing.

When I tried to boot with XP in the DVD I get NTLDR missing. I took
the XP disk and put it in another machine and it boots. I also put
the DVD drive that it booted XP into the broken machine. I still get
NTLDR missing. I am using one IDE cable for the hard drive and one
IDE cable for the DVD.

At boot up the BIOS reports both hard drives (the original boot/bad
one and the extra blank drive) It also reported the old CD and DVD.
It also reports the new(er) DVD.

I tried swapping IDE ports with the hard drive and the DVD. Nothing.

Do I have a dead mobo? What can I try next?

Thanks

--
O'Neil to General Hammond:
For the record Sir, I wanted to blow it the hell up.

You might get lucky with a BIOS reset to factory defaults either using
the BIOS menu, BIOS reset jumper, or removing the motherboard battery
after the power cord had been removed for a couple of minutes.

Old April 2nd 11, 09:17 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mike Easter

Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2011 16:03:22 -0500

Courtesy voluntary clock police report:

Your system clock is set an hour in the future.

Your tz offset -0500 is like that of US Central Daylight Time, but your
localtime setting (your clock said after 4pm when you posted) is an hour
later, like that of US Eastern Daylight Time.

Your news server posted/said after 3pm with a US Central Daylight offset

--
Mike Easter
Old April 2nd 11, 10:03 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
metspitzer

On Sat, 02 Apr 2011 13:51:03 -0500, GlowingBlueMist
wrote:

[...]

That may have worked. I am running repair now.
Thanks