wish they'd make some boxes..

Old March 23rd 11, 04:24 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
tarball@_INVALID_no.org

Default wish they'd make some boxes..

...like this one, so I could just buy without having to make one.

It's a barely pressurized FILTERED anti-lint box with bottom up
assisted-convection cooling. Quiet too.

http://www.trixtar.org/tinkerings

click the box

Old March 23rd 11, 07:57 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
VanguardLH[_2_]

wrote:

http://www.trixtar.org/tinkerings

I visit unknown and untrusted sites with scripting enabled. The "Click
the Boxen" link is a "javascript:quietcool()" link. That is, it runs a
function containing the hidden script. Don't expect users to be that
interested in visiting an unknown site that wants to hide its content
behind a script that dynamically generates the web page.

The function does nothing than merely call another web page, which is:

quietcool/quietcool.html

So the URL to visit their web page is actually:

http://www.trixtar.org/tinkerings/qu...quietcool.html

The top photo shows the case upside down so you're looking at its bottom
plate. Yet look carefully. Yes, there are 3 fans there but once the
case is placed on a tabletop just how is air supposed to get INTO that
shroud with the wire mesh. The mosquito netting (screendoor mesh) is
going to sit right against the table. There's nothing to raise it above
the tabletop. So you have to build something to keep the entire case
off the bottom surface. The author did this by attaching the case to a
swing door attached to the side of his desk. At least eliminated the
problem of increasing the height with no weight added to the bottom to
make an already top-heavy case even more top-heavy.

There are already cases where you can mount the PSU at the bottom and it
gets its own cooling (so it doesn't draw in pre-heated air). Another
grill opening on the bottom is for a case fan for intake air. Obviously
you need to have tall feet to ensure air gets into the bottom. The case
top has 2 exhaust fans hidden under a grill. You can add lint filters
if you want but make sure they are accessible for washing out the dirt.

Here's one (although there might be some better ones):

The PSU is bottom-mounted. Gets its own air flow (so intake air isn't
pre-heated). I would probably use aluminum tape over the PSU's front
grill to keep case air from entering the PSU. The other bottom grill is
for intake (you can add a fan). Note that if you want to clean the
filters that you'll have to remove them before installing the PSU and
case fan atop of them and put them on the outside of the case. As noted
by the above author, you might get away with just using screendoor mesh.
I don't know the quantitative difference in air flow resistance between
a flat screendoor mesh versus a convoluted lint filter used for case
fans that traps the lint not only by reduced orifice size but also by
non-linear flow (the air has to change direction through the filter).
There are 2 fans at the top where you could also use lint filters.
Obviously any exhaust fans don't need filters.
Old March 23rd 11, 12:24 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
tarball@_INVALID_no.org

On 03/23/2011 03:57 AM, VanguardLH wrote:
wrote:

http://www.trixtar.org/tinkerings

I visit unknown and untrusted sites with scripting enabled. The "Click
the Boxen" link is a "javascript:quietcool()" link. That is, it runs a
function containing the hidden script. Don't expect users to be that
interested in visiting an unknown site that wants to hide its content
behind a script that dynamically generates the web page.

The function does nothing than merely call another web page, which is:

quietcool/quietcool.html

So the URL to visit their web page is actually:

http://www.trixtar.org/tinkerings/qu...quietcool.html

The idea was to keep the link short and simple but the point is valid,
there are other ways of doing that and this isn't the forum for them.

Not my cup of tea i.e. I can't park one on top of the box. BTW the
bottom intake of my home made one sits on a frame and not on a solid
shelf. If the removal of three 5" disks from what might be 18g
sheetmetal makes a center of gravity issue then a much worse one already
exists. Personally I'm so happy with this setup that I will make one
like it each time from now on, unless of course some manufacturer makes
life easier for me which was in the end the purpose of the article.
Old March 23rd 11, 01:48 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Loren Pechtel[_2_]

On Wed, 23 Mar 2011 00:24:43 -0400, wrote:

..like this one, so I could just buy without having to make one.

It's a barely pressurized FILTERED anti-lint box with bottom up
assisted-convection cooling. Quiet too.

http://www.trixtar.org/tinkerings

click the box

Yeah, that looks nice, although I've got a pretty quiet box despite a
bunch of 120mm fans.
Old March 23rd 11, 02:04 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
tarball@_INVALID_no.org

On 03/23/2011 09:48 AM, Loren Pechtel wrote:
On Wed, 23 Mar 2011 00:24:43 -0400, wrote:

..like this one, so I could just buy without having to make one.

It's a barely pressurized FILTERED anti-lint box with bottom up
assisted-convection cooling. Quiet too.

http://www.trixtar.org/tinkerings

click the box

Yeah, that looks nice, although I've got a pretty quiet box despite a
bunch of 120mm fans.

Many factors play in the noise level. My setup is not under the table so
I hear it more. I also live in the sticks where I can hear a jet fly
overhead at 35000 feet from inside the house unless the crows happen to
fight :-)

I like the liquid cooling stuff too but it's just too involved for my
level of interest (even saw some fully submerged rigs a while back).

Old March 23rd 11, 07:32 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe

Loren Pechtel lorenpechtel hotmail.com wrote:

tarball _INVALID_no.org wrote:

Looks like you build your own computer area too? I do.

I like the liquid cooling stuff too but it's just too involved
for my level of interest (even saw some fully submerged rigs a
while back).

I went with a Corsair H70 water cooler. It's a sealed system so
it's not much hassle at all. You just need a 120mm fan hole
close enough to the processor.

That's cool...

But my Q9550 CPU does not get hot, so I will have to spend it on
something else
Old March 25th 11, 02:28 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Loren Pechtel[_2_]

On 23 Mar 2011 19:32:41 GMT, John Doe wrote:

Loren Pechtel lorenpechtel hotmail.com wrote:

tarball _INVALID_no.org wrote:

Looks like you build your own computer area too? I do.

I like the liquid cooling stuff too but it's just too involved
for my level of interest (even saw some fully submerged rigs a
while back).

I went with a Corsair H70 water cooler. It's a sealed system so
it's not much hassle at all. You just need a 120mm fan hole
close enough to the processor.

That's cool...

But my Q9550 CPU does not get hot, so I will have to spend it on
something else

I've had heat problems in the past and I wasn't taking chances this
time.
Old April 3rd 11, 01:19 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
tarball@_INVALID_no.org

Forgot..

On my rig the updrafting screen is the ONLY intake and all lint is
picked up. It can be cleaned without opening anything, it's just a
matter of gently passing the vacuum cleaner on it or just brushing it
off by hand. Less noise comes from high volume air at low speed instead
of low volume at high speed and that's why I went for a large intake.
All other peripheral fans were also reversed to blow outward, that means
a bunch of disk fans, the power unit fans, and a few other case fans.
All other vents were taped closed so that a positive outward only
airflow exists everywhere except at the intake filter.

A question about boxes. Trust No One® UK Computer Vendors 2 September 6th 09 11:26 AM
Why are mainboard boxes already opened? John Doe Asus Motherboards 107 October 15th 06 09:57 PM
HP talking 32-way Opteron boxes Yousuf Khan General 0 June 6th 05 07:10 PM
Shipping Boxes Tim Homebuilt PC's 10 January 8th 05 06:25 PM
Windowsupdates for NAS boxes Scott Storage & Hardrives 0 June 29th 04 08:18 PM