Help needed for a laptop driver

Old April 11th 11, 08:43 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Loren Pechtel[_2_]

Default ssd advice

On Sun, 10 Apr 2011 22:38:05 -0700, DevilsPGD
wrote:

Even on modern computers you still spend a lot of time in a "click and
wait..." state, especially starting large applications or similar that
your computer can't predict (and therefore caching can't help you)

The different really is incredible, responsiveness is often far more
significant to the user experience than raw speed.

The thing is for most purposes that raw speed does little for us--the
CPU finishes whatever it was doing and is waiting on something. While
the user is waiting for something to happen the CPU is generally
waiting on the disk to deliver the data needed to accomplish the
requested task.

As I write this I have 3 virtual machines open and I'm transcoding a
movie, as well as some other tasks that won't use any CPU power if I
don't interact with them. The CPU load is running in the 20-25%
range--obviously the transcode has one core pegged and otherwise it's
not really doing all that much. More cores wouldn't do any good,
speeding up the CPU would speed up the transcode but that's going to
take a long time anyway. Raw speed thus would gain me little.

The faster loading of stuff off the system drive, though, is another
matter. I have an ASP.NET project I'm working on on another screen,
if I hit F5 it has to compile, transfer the stuff to the local ASP.NET
server and then launch a browser instance. Nothing of any substantial
size gets loaded but lots of files are involved. I would say this is
at least 5x as fast as it was on my old machine.