Help needed for a laptop driver

Old March 2nd 11, 05:25 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Gabriel Knight[_9_]

Default Help needed for a laptop driver

Hi, I have done a clean install of the OS Win XP Home, on a laptop I only
had to install one driver for the video and it worked fine but now I need
help to find the driver or application that controlls the keyboard like the
"Fn" key as it dosnt work at the moment - ide like to be able to operate the
brightness and others on the keyboard. What I have is a Toshiba Satellite
A20 Laptop.

Regards
GK

Old March 2nd 11, 03:31 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
GMAN[_13_]

In article .com, "Gabriel Knight" wrote:
Hi, I have done a clean install of the OS Win XP Home, on a laptop I only
had to install one driver for the video and it worked fine but now I need
help to find the driver or application that controlls the keyboard like the
"Fn" key as it dosnt work at the moment - ide like to be able to operate the
brightness and others on the keyboard. What I have is a Toshiba Satellite
A20 Laptop.

Regards
GK

Go here and search for your model under Product Support

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/t...t/jsp/home.jsp
Old April 10th 11, 08:13 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
hhh

Default ssd advice

Old April 10th 11, 04:50 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Charlie Hoffpauir

On Sun, 10 Apr 2011 07:13:00 +0000, hhh wrote:

It depends a LOT on what you are looking to do. To improve a laptop or
netbook, probably a good idea to install a SSD. To improve a desktop,
not so good. I thought I'd greatly improve my boot time by switching
to a SSD. Well, it takes me 90 sec to boot from a cold start to Win
Vista on my computer (using a 500 GB SATA 7200 RPM drive)....
installing the SSD lowered that time to 60 sec. I had foolishly
expected something like an improvement to 10 to 15 sec total boot
time!

So I ran some performance tests, on a single (relatively cheap 7200
RPM SATA) drive, a pair of 500 GB 7200 RPM SATA Seagates configured
RAID 0, and the SSD. As you would expect, performance of the SSD was
better than the others..... but not "that" much better, considering
the SSD price is nearly $200 for 120 GB and you can buy a pair of 500
GB Seagates for $100 and have a 1 TB effective drive..

To see the charts of the tests, go he

http://www.photoshop.com/users/crhof...82d205a0081057
Old April 10th 11, 07:45 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Bug Dout

Great analysis by Charlie. I too installed SSDs in a netbook and desktop
and was underwhelmed by the performance increase. For a desktop, much
better to install a 2- or 3-disk RAID0 setup...you will see a real
performance boost then.

--
"The Internet: where men are men, women are men, and children are FBI
agents."
Old April 10th 11, 11:26 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Loren Pechtel[_2_]

On Sun, 10 Apr 2011 10:50:28 -0500, Charlie Hoffpauir
wrote:

[...]

I built this box with a SSD. The responsiveness is incredible.
Old April 11th 11, 03:31 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Charlie Hoffpauir

On Sun, 10 Apr 2011 15:26:15 -0700, Loren Pechtel
wrote:

I built this box with a SSD. The responsiveness is incredible.

Incredible is a nice term. Can you give us something more specific? As
compared to....?

My old SWTPC with a Motorola 6800 processor was incredible too.
Old April 11th 11, 06:38 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
DevilsPGD[_4_]

In message someone claiming
to be Charlie Hoffpauir typed:

wrote:

I built this box with a SSD. The responsiveness is incredible.

Incredible is a nice term. Can you give us something more specific? As
compared to....?

In general, moving from a rotational drive to a new SSD is almost like
the old days where buying a new computer was actually significantly
faster than your old one (or at least when clock speeds regularly
doubled)

Even on modern computers you still spend a lot of time in a "click and
wait..." state, especially starting large applications or similar that
your computer can't predict (and therefore caching can't help you)

The different really is incredible, responsiveness is often far more
significant to the user experience than raw speed.
Old April 11th 11, 08:54 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
VanguardLH[_2_]

hhh wrote NOTHING:

Blank body = blank post = blank mind

Don't mix with ice cream. That advice is as specific as was your
question.

--- Posting Hints ---

ALWAYS REVIEW your message before submitting it. You want someone OTHER
than yourself to understand your post. Also remember that no one here
is looking over your shoulder to see at what you are pointing. If you
don't well explain your situation by providing the DETAILS that you
already know, don't expect others to know what is your situation.
Explain YOUR computing environment and just what actions you take to
reproduce the problem - and describe the problem so OTHERS know of what
you are asking for help.

Often you get just one chance per potential respondent to elicit a reply
from them. If they skip your post because you gave them nothing to go
on (no details, no versions, no OS, no context) then they will usually
move on to the next post and never return to yours.

What is Usenet:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newsgroups
http://www.masonicinfo.com/newsgroups.htm
http://www.mcfedries.com/Ramblings/usenet-primer.asp

How to post to newsgroups:
http://66.39.69.143/goodpost.htm
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
http://www.mugsy.org/asa_faq/getting_along/usenet.shtml

Regarding error or status messages:
- Do NOT omit the message.
- Do NOT describe the message.
- Do NOT summarize the message.
- Do NOT paraphrase the message.
- Do NOT truncate the message.
- Do show the ENTIRE message (but munge or star out personal info,
like your username in an e-mail address but not the domain).
And DETAIL the steps to reproduce the error or problem.

Bye.
Old April 11th 11, 08:43 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Loren Pechtel[_2_]

wrote:

I built this box with a SSD. The responsiveness is incredible.

Incredible is a nice term. Can you give us something more specific? As
compared to....?

The machine it replaced. The lack of seek time really makes a
difference when pulling a bunch of small things off the disk--and a
bunch of small things is the normal structure of anything that uses
plugins.