SATA III - is it going to immprove anything?

Old March 1st 11, 01:30 AM posted to comp.sys.intel
Shaun

Default SATA III - is it going to immprove anything?

I was reading specs on hard drive, specifically data transfer rates and it
looks like they're much lower than even the SATA II maximum data transfer
rates, so why did they come out with SATA III?

.... or have I read something wrong?

Old March 1st 11, 02:41 AM posted to comp.sys.intel
Sjouke Burry[_2_]

Shaun wrote:
I was reading specs on hard drive, specifically data transfer rates and it
looks like they're much lower than even the SATA II maximum data transfer
rates, so why did they come out with SATA III?

... or have I read something wrong?

How else can they keep selling you stuff you dont need,
because the old hardware is oke??

By changing things of course. You need MULTY Terabyte storage you know......
And you must really use 8core with USB15, must you not??
Until we kill USB of course.
Then you REALLY need the next generation gismo.

Besides, who needs access to all those old backups, after we improve
all that hardware?
Old March 1st 11, 03:09 AM posted to comp.sys.intel
Shaun

"Sjouke Burry" wrote in message
Shaun wrote:
I was reading specs on hard drive, specifically data transfer rates and
it looks like they're much lower than even the SATA II maximum data
transfer rates, so why did they come out with SATA III?

... or have I read something wrong?

How else can they keep selling you stuff you dont need,
because the old hardware is oke??

By changing things of course. You need MULTY Terabyte storage you
know......
And you must really use 8core with USB15, must you not??
Until we kill USB of course.
Then you REALLY need the next generation gismo.

Besides, who needs access to all those old backups, after we improve
all that hardware?

Ha Ha!

Actually there not impoving things at all. I have had a new Seagate hard
drive fail, it took 3 months. My parents had a seagate harddrive 1 TB die
after 2 months of use and my cousin has had a recently bought harddrive die
too, all in the last year. They used to be more reliable than this, now
they just sell them cheap and obviously make them cheap. Personally I would
prefer to spend a bit more for a hard drive if I knew the reliability was
better. I'm not sure if WD is any better. The salesman at a local computer
store said it was a crap shoot.

Then there is memory that appearently works at much faster speeds,
bull****. The wait states on the memory in my Pentium 4, 800 Mhz FSB has
cas and ras numbers around 3 clock cycles. Now they claim memory is working
at 1300 to 1600 Mhz but the cas and ras numbers are 9 or 10, What a bunch of
bull****.

my rant,

Shaun

Old March 1st 11, 01:50 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
Jim[_31_]

"Shaun" wrote in message
I was reading specs on hard drive, specifically data transfer rates and it
looks like they're much lower than even the SATA II maximum data transfer
rates, so why did they come out with SATA III?

SSDs

Old March 1st 11, 08:22 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
Ken[_7_]

On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 18:30:14 -0600, "Shaun" wrote:

I was reading specs on hard drive, specifically data transfer rates
and it looks like they're much lower than even the SATA II maximum
data transfer rates, so why did they come out with SATA III?

SSD
http://newsroom.intel.com/community/...ata-throughput

http://www.techspot.com/news/42598-i...hroughput.html

Old March 2nd 11, 04:09 AM posted to comp.sys.intel
Shaun

"Ken" wrote in message
On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 18:30:14 -0600, "Shaun" wrote:

I was reading specs on hard drive, specifically data transfer rates
and it looks like they're much lower than even the SATA II maximum
data transfer rates, so why did they come out with SATA III?

SSD
http://newsroom.intel.com/community/...ata-throughput

http://www.techspot.com/news/42598-i...hroughput.html

Yah ok, SSDs.

What about that stuff I wrote about memory speed? What do you think of
that?

Shaun

Old March 2nd 11, 12:05 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
Jim[_31_]

"Shaun" wrote in message
news
What about that stuff I wrote about memory speed? What do you think of
that?

CL is only half the equation. CAS/Frequency*1000 gets you the latency in
nanoseconds. DDR-1600 CL8 is twice as fast as PC100 CL2.
Wikipedia has a nice chart. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAS_latency

Old March 2nd 11, 08:38 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
Lance[_2_]

Shaun wrote the following on 2/28/2011 18:09:
snip

Actually there not impoving things at all. I have had a new Seagate hard
drive fail, it took 3 months. My parents had a seagate harddrive 1 TB die
after 2 months of use and my cousin has had a recently bought harddrive die
too, all in the last year. They used to be more reliable than this, now
they just sell them cheap and obviously make them cheap. Personally I would
prefer to spend a bit more for a hard drive if I knew the reliability was
better. I'm not sure if WD is any better. The salesman at a local computer
store said it was a crap shoot.

snip

If I'm in the market for a hard drive, I usually try to purchase
"Enterprise-class" or server drives. If you look in the spec sheet a
MTBF will be specified. Consumer-type drives don't have MTBF listed.

I've had very good luck purchasing drives this way - and they are not
all that much more expensive.

Lance
*****
Old March 3rd 11, 07:46 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
Bill Davidsen

Shaun wrote:
I was reading specs on hard drive, specifically data transfer rates and it
looks like they're much lower than even the SATA II maximum data transfer
rates, so why did they come out with SATA III?

... or have I read something wrong?

Don't confuse sustained rate with burst rate, particularly from cache. As
someone else noted Intel just announced SATA-III SSD drives. I may buy one, I
have the ports and the system would benefit from having the OS and a few things
on really fast media.

Old March 3rd 11, 11:47 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
(PeteCresswell)

Per Bill Davidsen:
Intel just announced SATA-III SSD drives. I may buy one, I
have the ports and the system would benefit from having the OS and a few things
on really fast media.

I rebuilt my system around an 80-gig SSD drive some weeks ago.

Can't put a number on it, but the subjective improvement in
speed/response is very noticeable.... sometimes seemingly almost
back the old 486/character-based days.
--
PeteCresswell

K6-III Olof F General 0 December 12th 06 04:59 AM
Any news on SATA-III Frodo Storage (alternative) 5 August 25th 06 03:33 PM
HP LJ III Net5 Printers 2 June 2nd 05 12:33 AM
The Xaser III Overclocking AMD Processors 2 August 2nd 03 04:25 PM
axase III Overclocking AMD Processors 0 July 22nd 03 11:11 PM