What do I use to save power when idling with my Intel Core 2 Q8200(quad-core; default clock speeds; Socket 775 LGA) in Debian/Linux?

Old December 21st 10, 03:28 PM posted to comp.sys.intel,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.hardware
Ant[_3_]

Default What do I use to save power when idling with my Intel Core 2 Q8200(quad-core; default clock speeds; Socket 775 LGA) in Debian/Linux?

Hello.

In AMD, I used PowerNow to save power when idling in my old Debian/Linux
box. Yesterday, I upgraded to an Intel Core 2 Q8200 (quad-core; default
clock speeds; Socket 775 LGA) system. What do I use for it? This is
mainly a workstation and acts as a private SSH2 server.

Thank you in advance.
--
"Though your enemy is the size of an ant, look upon him as an elephant."
--Danish
Old December 21st 10, 10:31 PM posted to comp.sys.intel,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.hardware
DevilsPGD[_4_]

In message Ant
was claimed to have wrote:

In AMD, I used PowerNow to save power when idling in my old Debian/Linux
box. Yesterday, I upgraded to an Intel Core 2 Q8200 (quad-core; default
clock speeds; Socket 775 LGA) system. What do I use for it? This is
mainly a workstation and acts as a private SSH2 server.

I can't speak to Debian, but most modern OSes have an idle thread that
automatically idles the CPU via the HLT command.

It might be motherboard dependant but if you have SpeedStep enabled in
your BIOS then this should be taken care of automatically in the Intel
world, or at least it seems to be on my boxes.
Old December 21st 10, 11:18 PM posted to comp.sys.intel,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.hardware
Ant[_3_]

On 12/21/2010 2:31 PM PT, DevilsPGD typed:

In AMD, I used PowerNow to save power when idling in my old Debian/Linux
box. Yesterday, I upgraded to an Intel Core 2 Q8200 (quad-core; default
clock speeds; Socket 775 LGA) system. What do I use for it? This is
mainly a workstation and acts as a private SSH2 server.

I can't speak to Debian, but most modern OSes have an idle thread that
automatically idles the CPU via the HLT command.

It might be motherboard dependant but if you have SpeedStep enabled in
your BIOS then this should be taken care of automatically in the Intel
world, or at least it seems to be on my boxes.

Hmm, I am not sure where that is in my CMOS. Is there a way to check in
Debian/Linux to see if it is enabled? So SpeedStep is enough? I thought
it can slow down like AMD CPUs does when idling.
--
"This is what metaphor is. It is not saying that an ant is an elephant.
Perhaps; both are alive. No. Metaphor is saying the ant is an elephant.
Old December 22nd 10, 05:13 AM posted to comp.sys.intel,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.hardware
DevilsPGD[_4_]

In message Ant
was claimed to have wrote:

On 12/21/2010 2:31 PM PT, DevilsPGD typed:

In AMD, I used PowerNow to save power when idling in my old Debian/Linux
box. Yesterday, I upgraded to an Intel Core 2 Q8200 (quad-core; default
clock speeds; Socket 775 LGA) system. What do I use for it? This is
mainly a workstation and acts as a private SSH2 server.

I can't speak to Debian, but most modern OSes have an idle thread that
automatically idles the CPU via the HLT command.

It might be motherboard dependant but if you have SpeedStep enabled in
your BIOS then this should be taken care of automatically in the Intel
world, or at least it seems to be on my boxes.

Hmm, I am not sure where that is in my CMOS. Is there a way to check in
Debian/Linux to see if it is enabled? So SpeedStep is enough? I thought
it can slow down like AMD CPUs does when idling.

The HLT command tells the CPU to power down for a cycle (or more? I
forgot, but I'm think it's more than one cycle)

As far as I know SpeedStep doesn't explicitly need OS support but I'm
basically just a Windows guy. I didn't install/configure anything to
explicitly manage the CPU speeds.

I did fire up some software to monitor my CPU speed though to get a
feeling for whether Turbo Boost was kicking in when I hoped it would
(sadly not, despite loading one core it only kicks in occasionally) and
I could see the cores running at lower than their configured speed much
of the time when idle.

It's possible that Windows is doing some background work but to be
honest, I doubt it's doing much more than issuing HLTs.
Old December 23rd 10, 03:41 AM posted to comp.sys.intel,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.hardware
Bill Marcum[_3_]

["Followup-To:" header set to comp.os.linux.setup.]
On 2010-12-22, DevilsPGD wrote:

The HLT command tells the CPU to power down for a cycle (or more? I
forgot, but I'm think it's more than one cycle)

The CPU stops until it receives an interrupt.

--
A bureaucracy's success is determined by its rebels.
Old December 24th 10, 03:01 PM posted to comp.sys.intel,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.hardware
Ant[_3_]

On 12/21/2010 2:31 PM PT, DevilsPGD typed:

In AMD, I used PowerNow to save power when idling in my old Debian/Linux
box. Yesterday, I upgraded to an Intel Core 2 Q8200 (quad-core; default
clock speeds; Socket 775 LGA) system. What do I use for it? This is
mainly a workstation and acts as a private SSH2 server.

I can't speak to Debian, but most modern OSes have an idle thread that
automatically idles the CPU via the HLT command.

It might be motherboard dependant but if you have SpeedStep enabled in
your BIOS then this should be taken care of automatically in the Intel
world, or at least it seems to be on my boxes.

I looked for SpeedStep option in my CMOS (latest BIOS too), but I
couldn't find it. So I looked in both downloaded PDFs
(http://download1.msi.com/files/downl...4v1.1_ASIA.zip and
http://download1.msi.com/files/downl...E7514v1.0.zip), they
said "Intel EIST" and it seems to be only for laptops/notebooks for
their batteries and AC power. BIOS shows it already enabled (GV3).
--
"When I was five years old, I saw an insect that had been eaten by ants
and of which nothing remained except the shell. Through the holes in its