Looking for system stress / burn-in software

Old September 19th 10, 03:31 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,comp.sys.intel
PC Guy

Default Looking for system stress / burn-in software

I've got a few motherboards that I need to determine their operational
reliability / stability while running XP, so I'm wondering if there is
any free software that can do stress testing or "burn-in" operations for
one or two weeks continuously running under XP. Basically, any software
that can keep a system busy doing stuff until (or if) the system crashes
or locks up. Serial, parallel, network, audio and USB stress testing is
not required.

Anyone know of any such software?
Old September 19th 10, 03:17 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,comp.sys.intel
John McGaw

On 9/18/2010 10:31 PM, PC Guy wrote:
I've got a few motherboards that I need to determine their operational
reliability / stability while running XP, so I'm wondering if there is
any free software that can do stress testing or "burn-in" operations for
one or two weeks continuously running under XP. Basically, any software
that can keep a system busy doing stuff until (or if) the system crashes
or locks up. Serial, parallel, network, audio and USB stress testing is
not required.

Anyone know of any such software?

Any software which runs the CPU(s) at 100% and uses a lot of memory
bandwidth will do what you describe and there are many ways to do it. One
of the simplest, and thus the most popular, programs that fills the bill is
Prime95. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime95

Old September 19th 10, 03:46 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,comp.sys.intel
Man-wai Chang

I've got a few motherboards that I need to determine their operational
reliability / stability while running XP, so I'm wondering if there is
any free software that can do stress testing or "burn-in" operations for
one or two weeks continuously running under XP. Basically, any software
that can keep a system busy doing stuff until (or if) the system crashes
or locks up. Serial, parallel, network, audio and USB stress testing is
not required.

RAM: memtest86
GPU (graphics): 3dMark 2006 or even PCMark Vantage
CPU: I forgot... Everest? SuperPi?

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.35.4
Old September 19th 10, 04:49 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,comp.sys.intel
PC Guy

John McGaw wrote:

I've got a few motherboards that I need to determine their
operational reliability / stability while running XP,

Any software which runs the CPU(s) at 100% and uses a lot of memory
bandwidth will do what you describe and there are many ways to do
it.

I'm looking for software that will basically do something to simulate
the workload that an average human being might perform on a PC. I'm not
really looking to max out the CPU just to test the heatsink of the CPU
or something like that.

I can turn on these PC's and just let them sit there with no app running
for a solid week, but I'd like the PC to be doing something more than
that during that period.

Prime 95 won't (as far as I know) do any hard drive reading / writing,
or do anything graphics related. If I'm not mistaken, it's actually
booted from a floppy and doesn't even run as a Windows GUI program.
Old September 19th 10, 04:52 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,comp.sys.intel
PC Guy

Man-wai Chang wrote:

I've got a few motherboards that I need to determine their
operational reliability / stability while running XP, so I'm
wondering if there is any free software that can do stress
testing or "burn-in" operations for one or two weeks continuously
running under XP.

RAM: memtest86
GPU (graphics): 3dMark 2006 or even PCMark Vantage
CPU: I forgot... Everest? SuperPi?

I want something that I can start and then walk away for several days,
maybe even a week or two, and will keep running until I stop it or the
PC locks up or crashes.

And I want one app, not 2 or 3 that I don't even know can run
concurrently under XP.

What about Sandra? Anyone know anything about that?
Old September 19th 10, 05:03 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,comp.sys.intel
Man-wai Chang

I want something that I can start and then walk away for several days,
maybe even a week or two, and will keep running until I stop it or the
PC locks up or crashes.
And I want one app, not 2 or 3 that I don't even know can run
concurrently under XP.

What about Sandra? Anyone know anything about that?

Try it then. But I would choose 3dMark even when your graphic card is
not a good one. Just select & run the tests your configuration can handle.

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.35.4
^ ^ 00:03:01 up 23 days 2:10 1 user load average: 1.06 1.08 1.08
Old September 19th 10, 05:36 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,comp.sys.intel
Ant[_3_]

On 9/19/2010 8:49 AM PT, PC Guy typed:

Prime 95 won't (as far as I know) do any hard drive reading / writing,
or do anything graphics related. If I'm not mistaken, it's actually
booted from a floppy and doesn't even run as a Windows GUI program.

Uh, Prime 95 runs in Windows. Are you sure you're not thinking of
another program like memtest86?
--
"I have to sit up with a sick ant." --unknown
/\___/\ Phil./Ant @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
Old September 19th 10, 06:20 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,comp.sys.intel
John McGaw

On 9/19/2010 11:49 AM, PC Guy wrote:
John McGaw wrote:

[...]

OK, if that doesn't fit your needs then you could install the BOINC client
and pick some project to participate in. Set the client to use whatever
portion of the CPU capacity, memory, disk etc that you think will emulate a
"normal" use of the computer and let the client run for a couple of weeks.
Pick a project which features a graphics screen saver which illustrates its
progress and the graphics subsystem will be exercised also.

If you want to stress the disk operations you can add on a batch file which
copies files back and forth, zips them, unzips them, compares them,
calculates MD5 codes or whatever your heart desires. Add sleep intervals as
appropriate or let the drive(s) grind at full speed as seems appropriate.

Old September 19th 10, 07:06 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
[email protected]

In article ,
(John McGaw) wrote:

If you want to stress the disk operations you can add on a batch file
which copies files back and forth, zips them, unzips them, compares
them, calculates MD5 codes or whatever your heart desires. Add sleep
intervals as appropriate or let the drive(s) grind at full speed as
seems appropriate.

If you just want to stress the drives, copy and compare works well. I
had to do this once, when the assignment was to try to break hardware
that we'd bought. Never heard of anyone else who legitimately needed to
do that.

We'd bought a bunch of new machines. A hard disk went after three days,
and then another after a week, both times to disk hardware breaking, not
just a confused OS. So we pulled them back off the developers' desks and
tried to get the vendor to replace them, since we had a serious on-site
service contract.

But they would only replace disks that had broken. After a week or so of
arguing, we concluded that we needed to get the things to fail. So I
wrote a batch file that copied and compared continuously. This was in
EIDE days, about a decade ago. A week later I wondered into the
technical support area and heard our half of a phone call:

"Hello, yes, it's us again. Yes, another one went overnight. If you
could send someone out? It might be a good idea to have him bring an
extra disk, since there's another one that's making some nasty noises."

A couple out of the twelve survived two weeks of this treatment, and
were OK for years thereafter. All the others got replaced.

--
John Dallman

"C++ - the FORTRAN of the early 21st century."