AMD kills off ATI brandname, finally

Old September 11th 10, 01:01 AM posted to comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

Default AMD kills off ATI brandname, finally

On 10/09/2010 2:31 PM, Bill Davidsen wrote:
I think they are, not to disavow it, but in hopes that there will be a
single AMD brand in the public perception, perhaps. As I noted, I
disavow understanding of how this could help AMD, that doesn't make it
wrong, but I agree with the original post to which I replied, it's not
clear how this can help.

It probably helps both the CPU and GPU divisions to boost each other up
in lean times when one might be doing better than the other.

Having ATI as a separate brand allows it to be sold off the next time
they re-invent themselves. :-(

I doubt that AMD is going to be able to sell that off anymore, CPUs and
GPUs are becoming one. But anyways, if they did want to sell it off,
it's not so hard to sell it off with a new name.

Yousuf Khan
Old September 14th 10, 08:14 PM posted to comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

On 13/09/2010 5:09 PM, Rick Jones wrote:
In comp.sys.intel Yousuf wrote:
It probably helps both the CPU and GPU divisions to boost each other
up in lean times when one might be doing better than the other.

Are CPUs and GPUs really going to be all that much out of phase with
one another?

rick jones

Well, they have been up until now. I assume that with GPUs being
integrated into CPUs now, that those GPUs will get behind or leap ahead
in lockstep with the CPUs. But discrete GPUs might still be going for a
little while, so those might have their own development tracks and
they'll be ahead or behind their own respective competition from Nvidia,
etc.

Yousuf Khan
Old September 14th 10, 11:28 PM posted to comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video
GMAN[_13_]

In article , Yousuf Khan wrote:
On 30/08/2010 10:44 AM, Intel Guy wrote:
Yousuf Khan wrote:

AMD announces that the next generation of graphics from the company
will not use the ATI branding.

I don't know why these major brands are being killed like this.

ATI has incredible marketing value. It takes years and lots of $$$ to
build a recognizable brand name like this, and to kill it off is just
stupid.

Well, waiting 4 years to do it is not exactly a rash decision. I guess
their marketing surveys showed that the AMD brand name was improved when
being associated with the video cards. And the video card brand
recognition also went up when associated with the AMD name. Both brands
helped each other. However, the ATI name was no longer needed in the
middle, they could go straight from AMD to Radeon without needing to
also say ATI.

Also there was talk that the reason that AMD didn't kill the ATI name
way back when it first purchased ATI was because they didn't want any
conflict with Intel when marketing video cards. Because as soon as Intel
sees the name "AMD", it acts like a bull seeing a red cape, everything
with that name is a target. For example, when AMD had a flash memory
division, now Spansion, Intel targeted it mercilessly with flash price
wars; once AMD spun it off, Intel lost all interest in flash too and
sold its division off to Micron. Now that Intel has had its horns
chopped off, AMD is feeling freer to go ahead and do more things under
its own name.

They could have continued to market AMD video chips and boards under
it's own name AND ATI simultaneously and have the potential to multiply
your exposure to purchasers and end-users by having multiple brands.
This was done by the auto industry during the 1960's until the
mid-2000's.

You mean like GM with all of its brand names that have had to be
hatcheted down? Goodbye Oldsmobile, so long Pontiac, never knew ya
Saturn, and good riddance Hummer. Or Chrysler and its Plymouth brand,
and Ford and its Mercury brand.

You can thank that ****er obama buying up GM for losing those brand names.

Delta did the same thing recently when it killed the Northwest brand
when the two airlines merged.

Oracle is doing the same with Sun (by the way, where is Java for the
iPhone and Touch?)

Oracle just sued Google for putting Java into Android, BTW.

Yousuf Khan

Old September 15th 10, 04:39 AM posted to comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video
Joe Pfeiffer

Yousuf Khan wrote:

[...]

No, you can thank GM for turning Pontiac into a brand that meant
"plastic body crap" and for ever creating a Hummer brand other than the
civilianized HUMVEE. And Olds and Plymouth were gone long before Obama
was president.

I've got very little good to say about the marionette in chief, but I
prefer to blame him for things he's guilty of. There's plenty of that
without trying to pin GM and Chrysler's brand mistakes on him.
Old September 15th 10, 05:35 AM posted to comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video
[email protected]

On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 16:03:41 -0400, Yousuf Khan
wrote:

snip

You mean like GM with all of its brand names that have had to be
hatcheted down? Goodbye Oldsmobile, so long Pontiac, never knew ya
Saturn, and good riddance Hummer. Or Chrysler and its Plymouth brand,
and Ford and its Mercury brand.

What happened to Mercury? It was there this morning.

http://www.mercuryvehicles.com/
Old September 15th 10, 10:38 AM posted to comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video
Trent[_3_]

On Tue, 14 Sep 2010 21:39:40 -0600 Joe Pfeiffer
wrote in Message id: :

No, you can thank GM for turning Pontiac into a brand that meant
"plastic body crap"

And boy did they blow it on the return of the GTO. Think of what it could
have been had they made it more retro like the Mustang and Challenger.
Old September 15th 10, 03:29 PM posted to comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video
Joe Pfeiffer

wrote in Message id: :

No, you can thank GM for turning Pontiac into a brand that meant
"plastic body crap"

And boy did they blow it on the return of the GTO. Think of what it could
have been had they made it more retro like the Mustang and Challenger.

What really hurts is that was (by all accounts) an excellent car.
Old September 15th 10, 03:32 PM posted to comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video
Joe Pfeiffer

" writes:

On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 16:03:41 -0400, Yousuf Khan
wrote:

snip

You mean like GM with all of its brand names that have had to be
hatcheted down? Goodbye Oldsmobile, so long Pontiac, never knew ya
Saturn, and good riddance Hummer. Or Chrysler and its Plymouth brand,
and Ford and its Mercury brand.

What happened to Mercury? It was there this morning.

http://www.mercuryvehicles.com/

For has announced that Mercury is being discontinued; I don't remember
the timetable. Like Plymouth, it's been pretty much on life support for
years and they're now turning off the machine.

Actually, as I look around, Ford appears to have abandoned the high-end
American luxury market to Cadillac and moved Lincoln down into the
former Mercury territory, so Mercury becomes pretty much redundant.
Old September 15th 10, 11:36 PM posted to comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video
[email protected]

On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 08:32:00 -0600, Joe Pfeiffer wrote:

" writes:

On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 16:03:41 -0400, Yousuf Khan
wrote:

snip

You mean like GM with all of its brand names that have had to be
hatcheted down? Goodbye Oldsmobile, so long Pontiac, never knew ya
Saturn, and good riddance Hummer. Or Chrysler and its Plymouth brand,
and Ford and its Mercury brand.

What happened to Mercury? It was there this morning.

http://www.mercuryvehicles.com/

For has announced that Mercury is being discontinued; I don't remember
the timetable. Like Plymouth, it's been pretty much on life support for
years and they're now turning off the machine.

Actually, as I look around, Ford appears to have abandoned the high-end
American luxury market to Cadillac and moved Lincoln down into the
former Mercury territory, so Mercury becomes pretty much redundant.

Ah, I hadn't heard that. Thanks. A friend has an LM dealership. I bet he's
not happy.
Old September 16th 10, 04:14 PM posted to comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

On 15/09/2010 12:35 AM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 16:03:41 -0400, Yousuf
wrote:

snip

You mean like GM with all of its brand names that have had to be
hatcheted down? Goodbye Oldsmobile, so long Pontiac, never knew ya
Saturn, and good riddance Hummer. Or Chrysler and its Plymouth brand,
and Ford and its Mercury brand.

What happened to Mercury? It was there this morning.

http://www.mercuryvehicles.com/

It's gone up here in Canada. If it comes back, it's usually just a one
off vehicle here or there.

Yousuf Khan

AMD kills off 4x4 Quad FX lyon_wonder General 0 November 30th 07 06:12 AM
Dell Finally Goes for AMD Dave General 7 November 22nd 05 03:02 PM
IBM officially kills off OS/2, finally lyon_wonder General 7 July 26th 05 02:55 AM
ATI RADEON kills HP 2025 using 1600x1200 on DVI John Martin Ati Videocards 1 July 27th 04 11:43 AM